The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2013 entrée: Diamond Jim Tyler » » Practice and add something to your repertoire... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Hello Diamond: My question is; in an overflooded magic world.filled with so much books,tricks and dvds, how do you practice? how much time before actually perform a trick on publi?how much time daily? did you actually practice only one effect or technique at a time? In resume I'm interested in your practice method as a proffesional Magician. Thanks for your help... -Hansel
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
231 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
I will respond soon. This morning I hosted the Young Magicians of Dallas meeting in my home and now I'm preparing for a private party for tonight.
Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
231 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
Hansel,

Thanks for your question. It's not easy to pin point how much time I dedicate to each routine that makes it into my act. Some tricks that I adapt take only a day to introduce because they fall into my skillset. While others make take months or years. Some routines I have merely think about for years until something clicks.

Today I had one of those moments. I have a routine that I have literally been working on for years and I'm completely happy with the ending but have never found a good way to get into it. Today an idea sparked and I think I may have found the solution. It changes the effect completely but I get to tell the story that I'd like to tell. I am purposely being vague about what the effect is because it is obviously something I don't want others doing. Often times I don't like being influenced my magicians. I am more often inspired by literary works, movies and music. This effect combines all three of those.

I am always thinking about magic. Whether it is development, the business side, marketing side, production side, teaching, etc. Magic is in my blood. Conan Doyle once wrote in Sherlock Holmes that, "Art in the blood takes the strangest forms." My fascination with magic as a child grew from reading ghost stories, about egyptology, a Houdini biography, etc. I am most interested in our minds and culture, beliefs and superstitions.

I grew up with a deck of cards in my hand since I was a baby. Go to my website and you'll see a picture of me at the age of two holding a poker size deck of cards. http://www.diamond-jim.com/bio/ I am not making a peace sign. I am telling my parents that it is the #2. I knew every card in the deck by the age of two.

I bought a magic book at the age of five from Disney World that taught me over 100 card tricks.
Here is that book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1......improduc
I mastered all of the tricks in it by the age of 6 or 7.
The great thing about that book was that it wasn't driven by sleight of hand but instead presentation.
I would rather hear a good story than see the best card trick any day.
So often times today I look for things that allow me to weave a tale or use a joke.

As a kid I enjoyed writing, story-telling, drawing, magic and computers.
Now as a professional magician I get to use all of my talents.

To more directly answer your question... I am constantly working on several routines at once.
Typcially, like most people I need a deadline to get things completed.
But then again as a magician, we are constantly learning and growing and trying to perfect or simplify things.
I hope my answer helps you in some way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2013 entrée: Diamond Jim Tyler » » Practice and add something to your repertoire... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL