The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Last Words (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I didn't have to look it up because I was taught about the American Revolution in grade school in the fifties.

Actually, the most commonly used last words of Nathan Hale are not the ones mentioned above:

Scroll down for Nathan Hale.....

http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/dying2.html

It is the duty of every good officer to obey any orders given him by his commander-in-chief.
(Actual)
Shot by British as a spy.
~~ Nathan Hale, American hero, d. 1776

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
(Attributed)
~~ Nathan Hale
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I wonder if the Nathan Hale quote was inspired by Caligula who is alleged to have said, "If only all Rome had just one neck."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Bob1Dog, I realise you were cutting and pasting, but it should be noted that Nathan Hale hung by the British - not shot as your post says.

His life story summarized here:

http://www.connecticutsar.org/patriots/hale_nathan.htm

A nice discussion of Nathan Hale's last (attributed) words is available on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Hale#Impact
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:45, Destiny wrote:
I wonder if the Nathan Hale quote was inspired by Caligula who is alleged to have said, "If only all Rome had just one neck."

I don't know, but see the wikipedia article I posted. "If Hale did not give the famous quote, it is possible he instead repeated a passage from Joseph Addison's play, Cato" ... so there certainly may have been some Roman influence in there one way or another.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:57, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:45, Destiny wrote:

I don't know, but see the wikipedia article I posted. "If Hale did not give the famous quote, it is possible he instead repeated a passage from Joseph Addison's play, Cato" ... so there certainly may have been some Roman influence in there one way or another.

Nothing like this line appears in Addison's Cato. The word "neck" shows up once:

Quote:
but what can Cato do
Against a world, a base, degenerate world,
That courts the yoke, and bows the neck to Cæsar?

Caligula was born some 60 years after Cato's death.

But I'm probably just being pedantic here. Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Yes, you are. Please note I never said he was inspired by Caligula ... I said _some_ Roman influence one way or another, citing Cato as a particular additional possibility.

:)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-03-08 14:52, balducci wrote:
Bob1Dog, I realise you were cutting and pasting, but it should be noted that Nathan Hale hung by the British - not shot as your post says.

His life story summarized here:

http://www.connecticutsar.org/patriots/hale_nathan.htm

A nice discussion of Nathan Hale's last (attributed) words is available on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Hale#Impact

Balducci, surely you know the routines of cut and paste; I was merley doing what y'all do, making swift of it. And I did provide the source of the two quotes. If you didn't read the link, you might find it interesting. And if you disagree you can question those sources, not me.

As to Hale's being shot, that seems to be another version; as I was also taught in grade school that he was hung. I'll just respond that in the following two links you will find references to the fact that there are two versions of Hale's last words. In the Diary of Frederick Mackensie, an eyewitness to the execution he mentions that Hale did have some brave last words, but no evidence was offered of the one most attributed. Nor is there any other eye witness account offering those famous last words.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_Nath......st_words
http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2010/09/n......ret.html

So choose your source. I was merely attemtpting to provide an interesting twist to the discussion but alas, the arrows came, as I knew they would.

Now you may parse this to kingdom come, but I'll move on to other famous last words in this thread. I am finished with Nathan Hale. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Sorry, make that hanged.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. Jesus Christ

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Last Words (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL