The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any good books on mentalism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
Anyone can recommend?
kamiruaga
View Profile
New user
The Basque Country (N. Spain)
69 Posts

Profile of kamiruaga
Hi!
In this thread you'll find quite a few.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&29
Best,
All those who believe in telekinesis,
raise my hand. (Kurt Vonnegut)"
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I would recomend to start with the two basics: Annemann's Practical Mental Effects, and Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
joeyjojo
View Profile
Regular user
uruguay
126 Posts

Profile of joeyjojo
Ther is also a good karl Fulves book about mentalims that can be done inpromtu. it is old looking but good and cheap.
MarkusT
View Profile
New user
Germany
54 Posts

Profile of MarkusT
Look at Bob Cassidy's website.
'The Library' is very helpful.
kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
Is syzygy good?
what about mentalism inc?
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Kenllh,

It depends upon what you have read before.
If you are new to mentalism then start with Annemann's Practical Mental Effects, and Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism.

If you are not new to mentalism then syzygy would be a good buy and mentalism inc would be a good buy for an experienced performer,. However, if you were not new to mentalism you would know that already...
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
SYZYGY - The First Five Years (CD-ROM is also included), is exellent.
But not for a beginner.
Plus it is a very expensive book, but worth its price.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Good Books?
Stunners Plus
7 Deceptions
Paramiracles

All of these are not only great for info, but fun to read too.
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
Annemann's Practical Mental Effects and Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism are certainly foundation works. I would also recommend T.A. Water's Mind, Myth, and Magick. His digressions in many ways are more valuable than the effects.

Bob Cassidy has an approach to mentalism that is certainly worthy of study. The Art of Mentalism is a gold mine of information and approaches.

I would recommend picking up a copy of the Digital Pantagram and the Jinx (which material for Annemann's Practical Mental Effects came from) both on CD Rom. The price for either of these can't be beat. (However, I still prefer cracking open the books themselves.)

For cold reading, anything by Herb Dewey. His stuff comes up on eBay and is woth watching for.

While it may have more value as a primary source to backtrack center tear related methodology, Al Mann's Purloined Thought is worth it's weight in gold, but it is not the easiest to find.

And then I would consider Larry Becker's Stunners Plus and the compiled SYZYGY newsletters. Both are wonderful resources for both methodology and original approach.

Certainly it is not an exhaustive list, but these seem to be the works I am picking up time and time again while others sit on my bookshelf far less perused.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Harris0n
View Profile
Loyal user
leeds uk
290 Posts

Profile of Harris0n
I recommend having a good look through the archives of the Magic Café.
Also, click on the First Year Archive at the top right of this page. There's a wealth of information there and you'll find your question has been answered many times before, often by some of the greatest minds in mentalism...
"There are times when the truth is necessary and times when myth-making is necessary." Nick Cave
kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
I have seen practical mental effects before.
I was hoping for something heavier than that, but since you guys said that mentalism inc is for the experienced, and syzygy seems too expensive, do you have anything in the middle? somwehere between beginner and amateur.
tnks.
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
Kenllh,
Don't discount Practical Mental Effects. Magicians are often less than satisfied with it because the methods seem "old" while, in my experience, those truly doing mentalism appreciate it because method is less important to the success of mentalism than presentation. Your method of couse must be solid but you presentation is absolutely what sells it. You have to ask yourself, if those who are successfully doing mentalism (not mental magic) swear by it, do I need to look at it differently?

I say this with all due respect to you because that is exactly what happened to me. I was a magician doing mental magic and had little use for the book, but at some point I had a shift in my perspective. It made sense and I started doing "mentalism." Then I had a whole different view of the book (and others). I wish I could describe it better.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Practical Mental Magic and Corinda are really all you need to start a career in mentalism.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Theater of the mind is also good.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
We need a button here at the Café that just lists every book that we think is good, because this is like beating the perverbial dead horse.
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
Theater of the Mind by Barrie Richardson is a wonderful book.

Al
Christian
View Profile
New user
Continental Europe
55 Posts

Profile of Christian
My recent favourites are Theatre of the mind and Mentalism, Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any good books on mentalism? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL