The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best use for Banachek's BRAIN GAME? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Just wondering what the best use for this principle might be? It is a brilliantly subtle piece of thinking. But I am still unsure as the best way to use it.

Has anyone come across good routines that make good use of it? It is too nice an idea to waste on a weak effect.

Joe

PS BRAIN GAME is also know as LETTERS IN A WORD.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Does it really need an answer?
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Luke Jermay recommends you use this with his "Bubble Burst" suggestion from Building Blocks and Coral fang.

John.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Okay - I will check it out. I have the latter book around here somewhere.

Cheers!
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Bob, it works nice with any reveal of a word. It solidifies the idea that not only can you read minds, but you can tell HOW they are thinking WHAT they are thinking.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I agree. It is just that I am not sure what the best method is to secretly find out a thought of word. I know all the usual approaches. But instead I want to find a method that is as devious as Banachek's subtlety.

Or perhaps an interesting longer routine which incorporates Banachek's idea along the way.

Anyway - if nothing else I will study what Luke Jermay managed to do with it.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
You're on the right track for sure. Luke has some excellent material. 7 deceptions and Building Blocks are absolutley wonderful. The "bubble burst suggestion" is excellent, however, it is a way to reveal a word, not a way to obtain one.

You say you are not sure what the best method is to find out a thought of word. I wouldn't lose sleep over finding a method "as devious as Banacheks subleties". The method by which you obtain your information is essentially irrelevant, at least in the eyes of the spectator. As long as it appears natural and clean.

Hope this helped.

Matthew
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I am researching this principle again. So apologies for digging up this old thread.

Just curious if anyone else has uses for this principle?
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I might be saying too much here...

But Ross Tayler of Ecrof and Second Coming fame has THE BEST use for this principle ever.

I have no idea if he has released it yet, but keep an eye out for it when it does arrive!

XX,
-Jakob

P.S. If I'm not using Ross' touch then I am usually using this strictly as an additional reveal when revealing things like words or names. I prefer using it as a "qualifier" to see if I can read someone's mind. (IE: write the name of someone special, fold it up then let's see if I can pick up something smaller then we'll attempt to pick up the larger piece of information).
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look out for it.

I also like your use of the principle. It is a nice way to frame it.

Joe Mckay
Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Oxon, UK
108 Posts

Profile of Bryce
Luke Jermay has a good take on this in his Coral Fang release, worth taking a look at and has some other good information in too.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Great work with this principle from David Blaine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdhptKBRU0
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Quick update:

I watched issue 17 of Reel Magic the other day (Mark Mason is on the cover).

On there Banachek spends ten minutes teaching this principle. It is a very useful piece of instruction since this principle is almost more of an attitude than it is a particular secret. I think a lot of magicians misunderstand what this principle is all about. And I include myself in that - at least until I saw Banachek teach it on DVD.

In the video above - David Blaine gives a good feel for how this principle should look when used properly.
mentalism addict
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mentalism addict
Luke is the best
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2017, Bob_Hummer wrote:
I watched issue 17 of Reel Magic the other day (Mark Mason is on the cover).

Thanks for sharing!
There's a lot of good stuff in Reel Magic Magazine, but haven't had a chance to watch all the back issues.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Alexander Marsh's "Sixth Sense Ploy" is a clever way to visually reveal a letter in a word.

I used it for the second reveal in Bob's Name/Place routine.

NM
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Brain game is many things, from revealing a specific letter in a word they just think of, revealing the number of letters and the mistake they made in counting them, revealing the way they think of the position of a letter rather than the numerical position. Having them switch any two letters in a word and revealing what two letters they chose to switch. This is all in the newer version of psychological subtleties one. Remember, these subtleties help you take what you have and create a miracle, they are never meant to be stand alone presentations, that would be a mistake. IF you are looking for a routine where they stand alone, the point is indeed missed.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Thanks a lot for your input Banachek! It is great to see you on this thread discussing your wonderful idea.

Also - access to Reel Magic Magazine is been given away for free this weekend.

So you guys who want to see Banachek's instruction for this principle - can go and check out issue 17.

Check out the details below:

--------------------

Hey Everyone,

We have a very SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT from all of us at Reel Magic: Introducing our first-ever Reel Magic On Demand Free Weekend!

Starting Friday, May 5 at Noon EDT through Sunday, May 7 at Midnight EDT, the entire Reel Magic On Demand catalogue will be available for free, as our gift to you.

How It Works

Starting Friday, May 5 at Noon EDT, go to www.ReelMagicMagazine.com and log in with the following user name and password:

User Name: RMfree
Password: weekend
NOTE: The password is case sensitive.

Click on On Demand Issues to view any issue of Reel Magic Magazine, or On Demand PLUS to view Lectures, Online Courses, TNTs, Trios, and more!

Remember: Your access doesn't begin until Friday, May 5th at Noon EDT.

https://kozmomagic.wistia.com/medias/8jr04amdt7
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best use for Banachek's BRAIN GAME? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL