The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Conventions: Some Advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Folks, I am a lifelong hobbyist and enthusiast who is making the transition into working magician. I've been to a couple of magic lectures at shops, but I've never been to a convention. I'm strongly considering going this year; I'm just not sure which one to attend.

My goals for the trip would be to learn as much as I can; both in terms of performance, but also in terms of being a professional. So, I guess panels and lectures would be my focus, rather than, say, competitions. And while I'm always interested in a dealer's room selling the latest and greatest, it's not my raison d'etre. Interaction, and maybe a little networking, are higher up on the agenda.

Do any of you have a conference/convention they could recommend, based on the above criteria?
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

I can be followed, but never shadowed:
twitter.com/FinnsWake
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You still haven't given enough information on what it is you want to do.

If you love Vent, then Vent-Haven is the place to go.

If children, schools, Libraries are what you want to do then, KIDabra International http://www.KIDabra.org is the place to be.

If close-up, stage, are your thing, then SAM IBM are the conventions to go to.

There are many Local conventions Like MAES, that have a mixture.

If wanting to be near the big guys, Magic Live is the place to be.

It really hinges on what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Den
Dennis Michael
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
I travel every year from the UK to attend this event in New England: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=konpm_ZhEUo&feature=youtu.be Not too big and EVERYBODY has time to talk to you!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Here's another, better clip following the 2010 Gathering - You can actually hear what others think of the event (Bob Fitch, Losander etc.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4prynjJSg

Leslie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well if you are in Texas, surely you have heard of the the TAOM (Texas Association Of Magic)Convention that has been going on from years, and that as brought some very famous new talent to the world of entertainment.

At a magic convention, you are not required to attend anything you are not interested in, but I have made that mistake a couple of times in attending a convention, and have regretted not going to a lecture I was not interested in at the time. As years later, I was interested in that information, that is no longer available.

And - to add a point, you can learn a lot from watching other performers and professionals on stage.

As far as your requirements for a convention, most conventions try to offer different topics, but not necessarily on the performance of magic. If this is what you are looking for, you would be better to seek such places as Jeff McBride's offerings in different areas of magic performance and development.

Also Tony Clark and Amy(?) Spina do these types of services.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2013-02-26 14:40, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Also Tony Clark and Amy(?) Spina do these types of services.

Joanie Spina
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Guys, thanks much, this is really helpful. My act is close-up/parlor/walk around, so my interests would lie in that direction. Of course, I love all facets of magic and performing, but my real interest now is largely around improving routines, putting together a cohesive show, and I KNOW I could benefit from a lecture/discussion on setting up the business side of things.

I do plan on attending a TAOM conference, but I have a schedule conflict with this year's gig and won't be able to attend. I also don't have an active club or chapter near me--my closest contact would be Fort Worth, some three hours away. I'm kinda in the boonies, here.

The New England con looks fantastic. Travel may be a consideration.

I'm strongly leaning towards Phoenix Az this year, or maybe Vegas.

If anyone else has suggestions or contrary opinions, please share. I'm open.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Ed Solomon travels to the New England Gathering every year from San Antonio!

Leslie
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
You may also want to look into the golden gate gathering in San Francisco.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The Golden Gate gathering has a GREAT reputation around these parts (Northern California).
I've only gone to it on one day but what a wonderful day.

Playing hooky from a lecture that doesn't interest you to session is also an option.

If you bring 2 or 3 great Effects you can do in session and are open to doing Magic in the hallways, lobbies, coffee shops, bars and private Magic conclaves in rooms you get the best from any convention. The only way a "happening" (showing my age) starts at a Convention is when people start sharing so don't be shy. Don't worry about someone else showing you up. One-ups-man-ship is what lets you see some GREAT Magic. If you are on a lower wrung consider yourself a catalyst and that you'll get the best show (personal experience).

Be prepared to be sleep deprived. If you really want to remember something write it down or use an electronic memory device.

Have Fun!

-Mary Mowder
MarkFinn
View Profile
New user
North Texas
80 Posts

Profile of MarkFinn
Great advice, Mary, thanks much.

Yeah, I've done a few shows, but I'm nowhere near where I need to be. I have no ego whatsoever about my skills, and I am fully prepared to be schooled, lectured, and critiqued to death. Right now, it's all about learning and retaining as much as I can.
Mark Finn
Raconteur, Ne'er-Do-Well

twitter.com/FinnsWake
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
This is not to you MarkFinn but a general comment.

If you are a Card Worker, bring your own deck to a Convention (for criminy sake).

I haven't gone to many Conventions lately but I've taken to bringing the most sticky, clumpy, clicky deck I can find and writing "Loaner" on the box.

Then they can lick, crimp and transfer cologne onto the loaner deck.

Reactionary Mary
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I hope you get to an event soon Mary. I'm sure many would feel honored to lick and crimp you deck. I would!

Dedicated Donny Smile
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you donny. I'm very stingy with my own deck.

The best event I've been to recently was a gathering at our local GRAND ILLUSIONS MAGIC SHOP here in Sacramento last Sunday.

It was a free event featuring Steve Johnson (owner) and friends doing some Demos (Don and Leora's Cookies) and lots of Magicians sharing Magic.

A total blast.

-Mary Mowder
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
TAOM is probably one of the best values for the money of all the conventions I have ever attended.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic Conventions: Some Advice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL