The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Props to do Silver Extraction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Hi, all.
I like the plot of so called Silver Extraction and have one set to do it. I like the quality of the Silver, but I feel not so good with the transparent coin. Mine is made of plastic and looks rather cheap.

Also I don't like it because it is a bit smaller than a genuine coin.
Does anyone know if there is one of better quality, maybe which is made of glass, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Tomoo
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
There used to be a coin you could get that had all the silver stripped off leaving just a thin, copper half. It had all the detail still on it, just no silver. I think that would be more logical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ixnay, the only such coins I've seen were some things that Richard Hatch made LONG ago. I still have some of those quarters. most precious.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
One answer would be to ask a glazier to cut you a new disc.
In Al Schnider's book " On close up " he writes of having the same problem. Briefly, his answer was to keep all the props in his hands and use a spellbound change.
I'm not sure how much I can say on this section. Hope this is enough.
Eddie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Take a silver coin to a plater and have it copper plated.

Or, use the cheap plastic coin and say "the silver AND THE QUALITY has been extracted."

Move on to the next, better trick. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Al Schneider also wrote up his routine using a prop that was marketed at the time, (the early 80's I think) which was a plastic, transparent half dollar, complete with all markings and a milled edge. I recall Mr. Schneider commenting on the fact that, to appear really clear, the maker had to add a touch of black to the plastic.

I believe he says who made the prop, and it may still be available.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Curtis, that's Ghostal Coin on page 51 of "Al Schneider on Close-Up." Al used a clear plastic coin from the House of Fakini in Toledo, Ohio.

Jeff
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There ya go. Thanks, Jeff. Isn't that the "Fakini" company that makes all the silicone products? Do you know if the coin is still available?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mikejorden
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of mikejorden
Vernet originally produced "Silver Extraction" a number of years ago. It came with a beautiful solid "silver" gimmick on which part of a 50c piece was moulded. Unfortunately this is no longer available.

The new Vernet are now manufacturing the effect and it should be available at the dealers. Unfortunately the "silver" gimmick is crap - just a blob of solder!!

However the plastic gimmick is OK and can be used for other routines. I use the plastic Gimmick for "Ghost Coin" on the DVD "Magic as interpreted by Reed Michael Lucas" - which is a slow visual vanish of a coin
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Curtis...sorry to take so long to respond, just noticed your reply!

I have no idea if the Fakini coin is still available. I have a Johnson Products set...the plastic coin is literally a see-through half dollar, and the blob of "silver" has part of the design of a half dollar on it too.

I should try this out again, it's been out of rotation for too long. But I have a feeling I'll end up agreeing with Pete, above.

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Props to do Silver Extraction (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL