The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suitcase Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Tim,

There's nothing wrong with building a table that looks like those that are marketed by others, especially since the current style of suitcase table is being used by many manufacturers and no one can claim an exclusive on it. Putting your own touches on it makes lots of sense.

Marketing the table plan or the table itself would be questionable. Unless your plan or table is significantly different from the others, it would be likely considered a "knock-off", the subject of which is the hot topic of debate right now.

Michael
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Well it is difficult to say who is knocking off whom!

The suitcase table design built and sold by Joe Lefler and the similar suitcase table design with, all its additions, being sold by Viking are all predated by others. Abbott’s sold the “Autro” design (which is basically the same as the Lefler and the Viking table with only small differences) well before those models hit the scene. I think that there may even be models that predate the Abbott’s version.

Do the differences found on the later models make the design unique? Does covering the outside of the table with trunk material, plastic, or leather, make it unique in design? Doubtful. Who owns the idea of a suitcase table? I for one do not know. I do know that Abbott, Lefler, MAK, and Viking all sell some version of the suitcase table. I also know that the versions are more similar than dissimilar!

Mickey Hades published a series of Magic table designs (including those now attributed to Lefler and Viking) back in the early 60’s (I think that some of the published designs go back to the mid 50’s).

Jim Sommers suitcase table is very different than the Autro/Lefler/Viking version. It is smaller and has legs that drop out of the bottom giving the case its hight. However, even his seems based on one of the published Mickey Hades tables.

I have an original Autro suitcase table purchased back in the early 60’s and it is still in great condition and serves its purpose. I bought it without the funky artwork (top hat and cane). The only thing that I did was to have a custom slipcase made to protect it when traveling.

When placed side-by-side with a Lefler table (which I have done) you can see the similarities (many) and the differences (few). Clearly the Lefler looks like the next step in the evolution of the suitcase table.

What I dislike in all of the larger suitcase tables (and why I rarely use one anymore) is their weight. Even empty they all are very heavy. Yes they have those small casters that help you roll them on but those casters take a beating across a gravel parking lot! You still have to wrestle the thing over the curb and up the stairs. I hope that Chance has solved the weight problem!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2003-11-22 21:04, Big Jeff wrote:
Does anyone have a website address or phone number for Magic Inc?
I tried searching and can't find it.
Anyplace else to get the 3 books listed?

Thanks,
Big Jeff

http://www.magicinc.net/
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I have built a case for my sound system and would like to cover it with the olefin carpet material to match my suitcase table. I like to be able to velcro my signs to all of my cases and props and personalize each of my shows.

Where can I get the material? I have checked with a fabric store and had no luck. Is there anywhere online? or should I be checking with some other type of store? Any help would be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Christopher,

Check with a automobile shop that does set covers, they may have scrap or material that you are looking for.

I got my Merv Taylor Suitcase table as a hand-me-down from a magician. It has the drop down legs, and pop up top. The table was so beaten up, I rebuilt it with Finland plywood and recovered it with vynal glued on. It was a lot of work, but it paid off. I only used the locking arms for the top and legs. The problem with the vynal is, I bumped the table and it cut the surface. Very difficult to patch. So the auto carpet make more sense.

I also have an Owen's Taylor Suitcase Table. It is lacking the nice support bars for the top and the rear legs drop at an angle to prevent tipping of the table. It only has ball bearings for the wheels, not very good to roll on the sidewalk like the original Taylor table.

The table is only 24 x 10 x 16 when closed and opens to 24 x 10 x 35. I can carry a whole act in it. It is heavy, over 50 lbs. loaded. I have not found anything to match a suitcase table. I have tried folding tables and suitcases and trunks. I keep coming back to the suitcase table.

The other problem is if you travel it will need an outer case to protect it as the case is the show surface. This will add even more weight.

There are planes sold for a table from Magic Inc. in Chicago. I tried several times to build it but the plane turn out to be incorrect. It was an old dealer that went out of business years ago and Magic Inc bought the rights.

I often wondered if the new light weight airplane plywood work for a magic table. This would make it considerably lighter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Suitcase Table (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL