The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Close's Clones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Anyone have a review on this effect. I usually don't care for Michael Close that much, but this effect sounded interesting. Here's the description.

A wonderful, comical tale of science and cloning. Nine cards are introduced, all blank on both sides. A tenth card has the face of a clown. The clown card is placed into the blank packet and instantly "cloned!" As the comedy builds, the spectator gets involved in the "cloning" process and the cloning gets out of control! For the climax the audience looks up to find a big red clown nose has magically appeared on your face!

It sounds interesting, but could be dissapointing. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether this effect is worth carrying for walk around? Is it good for kids and adults? Is just going to sit on my shelf?

Thanks in advance.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
CJ,

I purchased this effect a long time ago hoping it would be great for my walk around gigs. Perhaps it was just me...but I never seemed to get that much of a response from this trick...again maybe it was just me? I "worked" it for a few months then sold it.

Another reason for selling it was that the routine requires you to lay out 9 cards on the table...I never like to take up too much table space when I am strolling. I actually had to purchase this effect twice...due to some cards getting accidentally "wet" from laying them on a table.

I guess for the right environment and the right performer this could be a great little routine...it just didn't work for me in the real world.

A little off the subject: I will say that Mike's pothole trick was a complete success...I have been doing restaurants magic for 11 years now and the pothole trick kills!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Thanks for your help. And by the way. I do have the DVD that has his Pothole trick on it. I like the effect, but I haven't tried it out on a lay audience. I also like his Ooh Ahh Bird and, of course, Dr. Strangetrick.

I have seen a few of his other DVD's as well. My problem with Michael Close is that his "workers" don't work for me. Many of them require a memorized deck or involve carrying around "20 sets of cards with common mens' names on them. I don't think most of his stuff is practical which is a shame because that's the biggest thing his advertises.

However I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Mr. Close. He has a lot of experience in magic and has had a lot of success. I'm just a beginner compared to him. I am by NO means trying to sound like I'm better than he is. His routines work for him and he entertains his audience. That's the important thing. I just don't think that most of his stuff fits my paricular style.

Anyways, thanks again for the help.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
I tried this on my family recently and all agreed it was the best and funniest thing they ever saw me do. (And they have seen it all.) The clowns growing out of control is good, but the climax ending is what makes this essential.
I do agree with you, CJ, in that I am not a big fan of Mike Close's stuff, but this is hysterically funny.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have this effect (close's clones) if you want to purchase it for $10. That includes shipping.
I don't use it anymore. It's in perfect condition.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I got this and am thinking of revamping the handling.
Show as 5 cards with blank faces, clowns on the backs.
Do some gestures toy have each blank magiCALLY turn blank then show if you press his nose, the clowning happens, how clowns all over the place.
I guess you could even use the gypsey curse stack to show one clown and 3 blanks and then reveal, but I am not all that thrilled with original handling.
Then again, I have never seen close perform it.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I watched the video with this on it. I liked it alot. I bought the cards and thought the way it was described in the instructions was kinda dull. I think seeing Close perform it himself is helpful with this one. I haven't performed it yet. I've been working on Pothole which looks great to me.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
When I worked restaurants, this always played HUGE. The corny joke at the end always went over well. I guess it depends on what's you. For me, this one is a winner.

FC
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
In the instructions for this effect, Close mentions that the "kicker" was added by Mike Weber..To me the "kicker" is the whole effect. I do a wild card type routine (based on Bob Farmer's Headhunter) with clown faces(which takes up far less room and is IMNSHO better, at least for me) but the real reaction and large laughs come with the finish.
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I am somewhat of a fan of Close. It was posted, "I don't think most of his stuff is practical which is a shame because that's the biggest thing his advertises." He only releases and publishes effects that he performs or has performed for laymen on a regular basis, it may not be practical for you, but it was or is practical for him.

Close's Clones is an effect that is generally not considered to be a hard hitting effect, it gets a great laugh and good reaction, but hardly not exactly the strongest peice of magic on the market. I believe Close defended the effect a little bit in Closely guarded secrets explaining that in that right venue for the right crowd it generates big laughs with minimal work. (not an exact quote)

On a person note, the effect does take up some table space (as previously posted), that may or may not be an issue for you. The effect, at least I feel, plays better for children than adults, I do think of it as something to perform for children at a table, but adults will enjoy the performance. Personally I think the effect is worth picking up. I generally do not perform for children, but whenever I am stuck in a situation in which I have to, I feel I can always rely on the effect.
dr_catman
View Profile
New user
Singapore
74 Posts

Profile of dr_catman
Wondering if anyone has a link to Michael's performance of this effect? Would love to see how he does it as I've recently received my one
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
I thought I would share my sons performance of this routine. He is Severn years old and this is one of his favourites package tricks.

Bottom line it’s an awesome routine.

https://youtu.be/bOIsmHB9a8k
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So cute. Thanks, Craig.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Very impressive that the little boy did that trick so well.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Very impressive that the little boy did that trick so well.

Thank you so much.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Impressive. Very. But don't call him a "kid magician" - going by his performance, he is a proper magician who just happens to be a kid. And congrats to you too for all the training you must have put into him. Great !! Smile
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Cute kid. good trick. fool us?
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
Great job Ryland!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Close's Clones (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL