The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roberto Giobbi's Deck Switch Book (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1696 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Read, sorry for the mistake.

but yes, perhaps I should think about releasing the wholy grail of deck switches, what
do you think tomsk?
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
http://rasmusmagic.ch
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I'm going to go out on a limb here and wager that many, if not most, of these switches are tailored for specific performing conditions. At least, that's one way a compendium of so many switches could be easily justified - and desirable. Dennis Loomis's effect, Any Card Called For, comes with an explanation for a bombproof deck switch, but it involves some preparation and is best done on stage or in a parlor situation. Other switches can be done surrounded, but they have their own cons to go with the pros. I purchased a stapled booklet awhile back that contained something like 200 deck switches. No, you won't use them all, but if you already have an effect in mind, you'll certainly find a switch in that booklet that will fit your routine. Anyway, I'm confident that Giobbi's book will be fantastic.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Well, the book arrived in my morning post, and so far, I'm enjoying the heck out of this book. SO many ways to switch decks, and it includes a DVD of Giobbi's lecture from the Genii Bash. Well worth the investment.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 16:36, rasmus wrote:
I just don't feel the need to read a compendium about
all possible deck switches, that's all.

I'm sure that the magic community is lookin' for the number one deck
switch, wich is suitable to every one and easy to achieve.

if you don't like my comment, that's fine

btw: I put a lot of time in exercising good stuff, but I don't want to spend days
to read all the possible deck switches to find the one that suites my needs.

just my 5 swiss francs

btw: roberto is a fantastic teacher and author as well imo

It's not that people don't like your quote. The problem is that who decides what is "best?" Compendia are quite useful and the one or two that may work for you may not work for others. What is the harm in having choices? By extension, we should not have books with more than 5 effects?

Please enlighten me as I amy well be confused; it is 3:40 AM as I write this.

Namaste,
Vlad
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I would want to read anything written by Giobbi.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1696 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 21:39, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 16:36, rasmus wrote:
I just don't feel the need to read a compendium about all possible deck switches, that's all.

I'm sure that the magic community is lookin' for the number one deck switch, wich is suitable to every one and easy to achieve.

if you don't like my comment, that's fine

btw: I put a lot of time in exercising good stuff, but I don't want to spend days
to read all the possible deck switches to find the one that suites my needs.

just my 5 swiss francs

btw: roberto is a fantastic teacher and author as well imo

It's not that people don't like your quote. The problem is that who decides what is "best?" Compendia are quite useful and the one or two that may work for you may not work for others. What is the harm in having choices? By extension, we should not have books with more than 5 effects?

Please enlighten me as I amy well be confused; it is 3:40 AM as I write this.

Namaste,
Vlad

Totally Right Vlad. That's, why Roberto imo decided to write this Compendium.
Most of all Magicians feel guilty, when switching a Deck.

Plus, they don't feel comfortable to switch a Deck because of Size (Not perfect for palming), Shape and Weight.

Putting away a Deck of Cards, and take it out again (Switch in Pocket)with the Words: Do you want to see one more Miracle?

Very easy for everyone and works like a Charm in every Performance Situation. that's what I usually use.

Other Deck Switches require a lot of Misdirection or can not be done surrounded.

Other Possibility, if I don't feel comfortable to switch a Deck is: Never show Card Miracles that require a Deck Switch Smile))

Just my 5 Swiss Francs

BTW: I'm very sure to buy this Book from Roberto, as always!

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1751 Posts

Profile of cirrus
But what if...
You have a routine, that requires them to shuffle the deck (to strenghten the effect) but requires a stack as well?
That's something I want to tackle now, and the only option I see is a deck switch.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1696 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 19:20, cirrus wrote:
But what if...
You have a routine, that requires them to shuffle the deck (to strenghten the effect) but requires a stack as well?
That's something I want to tackle now, and the only option I see is a deck switch.

Just let them cut the Deck, that should be enough. You can shuffle the Deck before (Just cutting the Deck and miming to shuffle the Cards). Looks like a regular simple shuffle. I had never a Problem with that.

I think, you can overproof your Ability to do Magic. If you believe, that the Deck is shuffled, they will believe it as well.
A natural Deck Handling is imo the important Point.

I don't feel the need to let them shuffle like hell for every Miracle that I show. It's the same Thing to let them sign a Card.
Why do magicians feel the need to let them Sign a Card? Simple, because they want to proof that they can do real Magic.

Negatives doin' so are: You're suggesting to your Spectators, that there could be eventually a duplicate Card, and that is the last
Feelin' I want to project.

Sometimes it's important, most of the Time totally unimportant to sign a Card.

Just as always my 5 swiss Francs

BTW: I never saw a Spectator, asking me, if he could sign the Playing Card, have you?

X-RAY Stage Version
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
The Deck Switch, a good one is worth it's weight in Gold.
What Roberto is doing by offering quite a few is to offer ones that best suit you in your specific situation.
It's a good read and perhaps can inspire you to come up with your own version.
Enjoy.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 16:34, brehaut wrote:
If there were just one or two deck switches, then you would hear "I am tired of paying X dollars for a single move". You can't win

I think 30 sounds great! Of course I wouldn't use them all, but I like to learn as much as I can about how guys like Giobbi think. I'd rather have too many than not enough.
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
After you do some killer card effects, you realize that the real killers, unless you are Cardini, often require something that can't be passed out.
Just as you would not want to have one coin vanish, due to the differences in conditions, angles, audience, dress, etc...,
you do not want to have just one deck switch.

For instance, I just performed a killer effect, but I could not pass out the deck due to some preparation. I recently realize that a deck switch can make this effect one of the most impossible effects period. But since the deck switch is not easy, you have to have several very good options depending on conditions, angles, size of crowd, how many beers the spectator drank,... etc.

I am all in for this book. It is frankly amazing that this topic has not been seen as an incredible need among the magic community until now.
Stromberg
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Stromberg
This is brilliant, I've been looking forward to this book since I first heard the rumours of it. Can't wait until it's in my hands ... then I'll switch it for something else possibly ... (at least I'll know how) Smile
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Well I'm in.

Usually read Robertos books with a big smile on my face...love his thinking and his teaching.
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
I'm a little bit obsessed with deck switches at the moment (and for a long time if I'm honest) so the word tempting is an understatement.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, you seem to be more obsessed with hitting fifty posts, given that you've been posting every five minutes today and only joined two days ago.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, you seem to be more obsessed with hitting fifty posts, given that you've been posting every five minutes today and only joined two days ago.

And, resurrecting years old threads.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roberto Giobbi's Deck Switch Book (36 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL