The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Aufsitzer effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
There's a term in German called 'Aufsitzer'; it's when a trick appears to be explainable to the audience and everybody believes to easily see through it.
But then in the end you have another kicker in store that shows you've lead the audience down the garden path all the time and they actually have no clue at all....

Thinking about it, two Tenyo tricks come to mind immediately: Twister and Pillars of Thor!

In Twister, the first phase can only fool kids to be honest. But when you keep turning the wheel, even Mr. Knowitall may gasp!

Same with Pillars, which makes reference to an old principle/prop that many are aware of - but the end kills them either!

Do you have any other examples from Tenyo?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Gorilla Bar is probally the most obvious example of that concept. Spectatators assume the solution is the most obvious one and then you hit them with the kicker of it jumping to the middle. To a degree I think Mystery China Box falls into that area. Some spectators think you are simply tipping the box, etc and are not really fooled until they try it themselves. Super Phanto Block also has the extra kicker that will fool those familar with the old method.

Interesting topic.

John
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Gorilla Bar!! So true... Smile
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
What's Next is a classic example that first comes to mind.

Maybe Animation Frame as well. People are pretty sure they know how it works (and they do!) but are completely thorwn off when you remove the picture and hand it to them.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
I would say Moons of Jupiter also. I will typically do the first color change numerous time until everyone is convinced one side is red and one side is yellow. They are surpristed when I then show them both sides are red.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Ich denke 'Billscape' ist definitiv ein Aufsitzer.
peterger
View Profile
New user
Belgium
91 Posts

Profile of peterger
Prison box - first part of the routine & then followed by the finale!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Great examples so far...the list grows on!
Yes, I remember having performed Prison Box in the early years with an intentionally VERY clumsy handling under the handkerchief to mislead the audience! Smile
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Aufsitzer effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL