The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is it worth it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
I'm an amateur magician living in a city without a magic club (nearest one is an hour's flight away) and not even a magic shop!

For years I have mainly done close-up cards/coins/mentalism for family, friends, work-mates, random strangers, etc, but I'm starting to branch out to other things like IT, rope, fire, stage, etc.

My question is this. Is membership in the I.B.M. worth it for someone like me (or with what info you have of me)? I'm guessing that the only real advantage is the magazine (and perhaps whenever I visit a city with a ring in it). How good is the mag?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would say yes it is worth it. The SAM is also worthwhile.

The Linking Ring has some of the best magic in it's trick parades. It also has a lot of other areas that may interest you.

I would suggest that if you are on the fence about it you can do a couple of things. One write the main office and ask for a sample copy of the magazine. Or buy some older issues off the big auction site and decide for yourself.

To me it is worth it but it is up to everyone's personal tastes.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Personally I think the Linking Ring is the worst magazine out there at the moment. It's stuck in the past and could really use a face lift. Mr. Close has really done a bang up job on MUM. It's an outstanding magazine now and can hold it's own with Genii and MAGIC. Linking Ring just sort of seems to plod along. The brief time I was an IBM member I didn't even take the magazine as I knew I wouldn't ever read it.

Since you're not near any Assemblies or Rings. Membership in either organization for you will be little more than a magazine subscription. So go with the magazine you like the most.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Two opinions like fire and ice! I appreciate both. Thanks.
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
There are other benefits besides the magazines:

if you are a performer, there is insurance.
The IBM has a quick website creator for your own site.
SAM has a find a magician search engine
There is the prestige of belonging to the largest (or oldest) magic organization.
Savings in way of discounts if you attend another club lecture or function and the Annual convention.
Access to an online library of past issues.
Access to other members knowledge in web forums (SAM has SAMtalk, IBM has ring 2100).
SAM has blogs online by famous magi; IBM has posts and news on their website.
They support youth in magic
There are scholarships to attend magic camps
Magic week PR to keep magic in the minds of prospective clients
SAM has the Houdini Fund that supports fellow magicians in time of need, such as Katrina and Sandy
I enjoy reading both magazines. There are ups and downs, but in the long run, I always get at least 1 thing worthwhile every issue.

You might be a full-time performer, or a part-time pro, or a hobbiest, but we are all students of magic. For me, it boils down to this, if you are a serious student of magic, you should belong to both the IBM and the SAM. Around $100 annual dues for both is less then $10 a month - 2 cups of Starbucks. Join them both. 20 years from now, you will be very glad you did.

Mark Weidhaas
Co-Chair of the IBM/SAM 2014 Combined Convention
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Thanks for that! A lot more than I had considered.
napbargasperez
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of napbargasperez
Well you have to be in it to know its benefits! I would say I have mine that lasted a long time!
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2013-03-21 19:41, weidhaas wrote:
There are other benefits besides the magazines:

Which is good because the magazine isn't all that hot.

Quote:
if you are a performer, there is insurance.

Most club members don't perform professionally so they aren't in need of the insurance. Plus from what I've heard the insurance isn't all that good. It's only for a million dollars for everyone. A single pot from which everyone draws. So if two people in the same year have a claim for over a million dollars (not all that much in todays economy) the insurance isn't going to cover both of them.

Quote:

The IBM has a quick website creator for your own site.
[/quote)

So do hundreds of other web hosting sites

Quote:
SAM has a find a magician search engine

Google?

Quote:
There is the prestige of belonging to the largest (or oldest) magic organization.

Until they find out that all it takes to be a member is to send in your yearly dues.

Quote:

Savings in way of discounts if you attend another club lecture or function and the Annual convention.

A convention that a few years ago they raised everyone's dues so they could offer a bigger prize purse in an attempt to attract better acts (or was that SAM?). Why ding the membership? Most of whom aren't going to go to the national convention. Raise the registration fee, not the yearly membership cost.

Quote:

Access to an online library of past issues.

Something one can get by subscribing to Gibeciere. A very good magazine. It gives you access to Ask Alexander. So one gets access to back issues of MUM, Genii, The Linking Ring and many, many more magazines, periodicals and books

Quote:

Access to other members knowledge in web forums (SAM has SAMtalk, IBM has ring 2100).

Not too different than the Magic Café and a host of other online resources

Quote:

SAM has blogs online by famous magi; IBM has posts and news on their website.

A possible value not available elsewhere

Quote:
They support youth in magic

A worthwhile endeavour

Quote:
There are scholarships to attend magic camps

Another possible benefit

Quote:
Magic week PR to keep magic in the minds of prospective clients

Few outside of the magic community are aware that this yearly event takes place

Quote:
SAM has the Houdini Fund that supports fellow magicians in time of need, such as Katrina and Sandy

Something the orgainisation should be commended for

Quote:
I enjoy reading both magazines. There are ups and downs, but in the long run, I always get at least 1 thing worthwhile every issue.

But id IBM is mostly just a magazine subscription there are better ones ou there

Quote:
You might be a full-time performer, or a part-time pro, or a hobbiest, but we are all students of magic. For me, it boils down to this, if you are a serious student of magic, you should belong to both the IBM and the SAM. Around $100 annual dues for both is less then $10 a month - 2 cups of Starbucks. Join them both. 20 years from now, you will be very glad you did.

I am a very serious student of the craft, but belong to neither orgainisation and see no need to. I am very active and supportive of my local groups. but I've never seen much benefit for belonging to a national orgainisation. Especially since the club doesn't benefit from the affiliation.

Mark Weidhaas
Co-Chair of the IBM/SAM 2014 Combined Convention
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Even more to think about! Thanks
Gibeciere sound good, I'll take a look.
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
Some clarifications to Thetruthtellers comments:

Insurance is necessary if you perform in schools and larger venues. The price is astronomical if you do not get group coverage. The SAM policy (what I have) is for $3 Million per event and $5 Million per year.

I cannot recall last time IBM raised its dues. The SAM raised their dues about 9 years ago due to the cost of the magazine. The electronic/paperless membership is a price decrease. Conventions are to be self-supporting, and in the case of the 2008 Combined Convention, brought in over $50,000 into the general fund where new member benefits could be developed.

Gibeciere membership appears to be the same as membership to both the IBM and SAM combined. It does offer historic magazines, but does not include the most recent 3-5 years.

Better magazines? Not according to this post: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=197&11

Local clubs do get benefits for affiliating - see the other post I made in a previous thread.

Stan Allen, Rrchard Kaufman, Bill Kalush are all members of both organizations. Thetruthteller is not a member, so his or her information may.be outdated - and since not a member, he or she has not seen a recent issue of the magazines.
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2013-03-25 02:41, weidhaas wrote:
Some clarifications to Thetruthtellers comments:

Insurance is necessary if you perform in schools and larger venues. The price is astronomical if you do not get group coverage. The SAM policy (what I have) is for $3 Million per event and $5 Million per year.

that's the SAM insurance policy. which seems to be a lot better than the IBM's. The IBM plan is still a Million dollars, at least according to their website

General Aggregate - $2,000,000
Products & Completed Operation Aggregate - $1,000,000
Personal & Advertising Injury - $1,000,000
Each Occurrence - $1,000,000
Fire Damage (Any one fire) - $50,000
Medical Payments (Any one person) - $5,000

They have at least increased the general Aggregate to two million so a single claim of a million doesn't wipe out the pot for everyone else.

Performers insurance isn't all that expensive these days. There are plenty of agencies on the Web offering coverage at rates very competitive to the IBM's and SAM's policies. Some home owners insurance will even put a rider on their policy to cover performers for an additional fee.

[quote]
I cannot recall last time IBM raised its dues.

{/quote]

That would be 2007. they went up $10.00. And as stated part of the reason was for

"Notice that we are now offering $5,000.00 for both the Gold Cups and the Gold Medal for our contest. The chance of winning a bigger pot is much more appealing to contestants. This reward should draw a higher caliber of contestants."

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=196

In my opinion a poor reason to ding the national membership.

Quote:

Better magazines? Not according to this post: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=197&11

It is a matter of opinion. I've never liked the magazine and find the digest format off putting. But then I don't read the magazines for the club reports or tricks. But for the news and interviews. So Genii and MAGIC are all I really need, or have the time to read. And yes, I've seen recent editions of the magazine and again, in my opinion, it is still on the bottom of the magic magazine list.

Quote:

Local clubs do get benefits for affiliating - see the other post I made in a previous thread.

None that I've ever been made aware of. There are possible benefits for the individual in belonging to SAM or IBM. But the club, or at least the club I belong to, has received no benefit from being affiliated. which is the reason why many of its current members are looking into ceasing the affiliation with the national organization and returning to being an independent club once again
GreenEggs
View Profile
New user
Why have I got
65 Posts

Profile of GreenEggs
Another advantage is lecture discounts. I travel a lot for work and when on the road, I find the local IBM ring, and when they have lectures at the meetings, I play less for the lecture.

Hope that helps,
Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Is it worth it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL