The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly voices (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
What are your opinions on how far one should take using a silly voice? I have been going through script drafts of my new kid show (I'm quitting my part time job in June to focus on doing kid shows) and I have been stuck on what kind of character to be. I'm thinking just the typical character of the inept, but silly, adult. Doing a trick, getting it wrong, hilarity ensues, etc. But very light, if none at all, slapstick humour; not my style.

Anyway, when it comes to that character, I have been debating as to what king of voice to use. Obviously my voice will be a bit higher; the kind most use to talk to kids. I would also be very animated. However, I have been known to do a very good Ed Wynn impression. Do you think that kind of voice is too much? While the kids might like it, it would probably annoy the adults in the back to no end. And I understand that entertaining kids is just one part of a show, you also have to make yourself entertaining to the adults so they will want to hire you for THEIR parties.

Thoughts?
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Why not just use your everyday voice? As far as entertaining the adults don't worry about it. As long as the kids are having fun the adults will like your show. I usually carry a couple of close up effects that I can do with the adults after the children's show. You are hired to be a Children's entertainer so I would just concentrate on the kids
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 14:31, dorian_faust wrote:
Obviously my voice will be a bit higher; the kind most use to talk to kids.

That's not obvious to me!

Why talk higher to kids?
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 14:38, MagicB1S wrote:
Why not just use your everyday voice? As far as entertaining the adults don't worry about it. As long as the kids are having fun the adults will like your show. I usually carry a couple of close up effects that I can do with the adults after the children's show. You are hired to be a Children's entertainer so I would just concentrate on the kids

Well yes, kids are the top priority, but a couple of books I've read (Seriously Silly by Silly Billy and The Children's Entertainers Guidebook by Stephen Ablett) made good points saying that if the character is annoying, crass, etc. then (even if the kids loved it) parents might make excuses to their kids to not have Stinko The Great at the party. ("Oh, umm, Stinko can't come because . . . he has another party to do that day.", "Mommy doesn't like Stinko, sweetie.", "He stinks.")
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
"but a couple of books I've read (Seriously Silly by Silly Billy and The Children's Entertainers Guidebook by Stephen Ablett) made good points saying that if the character is annoying, crass, etc. then (even if the kids loved it) parents might make excuses to their kids to not have Stinko The Great at the party."

Somebody needs to tell this to "The Great Zucchini" He plays to the children at there level, and is booked solid
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you use your everyday voice you can save the character voices for comedic effect, to surprise or imitate "buzzy bee" or some other character you're talking about.

Do what feels fun to you.

-Mary Mowder
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 15:24, Mary Mowder wrote:
If you use your everyday voice you can save the character voices for comedic effect, to surprise or imitate "buzzy bee" or some other character you're talking about.

Do what feels fun to you.

-Mary Mowder

Thank you
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
First, thrown away the books. They are doing you no good.

Be yourself. Speak in your normal voice. Use high voices (and low voices) for effect only. Don't worry about entertaining the adults; if you have the kids in knots of laughter, the adults will be happy to see you back again.

Finally, throw away the books. You get good by doing shows, not reading books.
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
They say not to talk down to children, so I don't think you should use any voice other than your normal voice or else you will be "insulting" the kids. Speak to them like you would to anyone else. Maybe raise your voice when you scream or get scared, but talk normally otherwise.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I love doing silly voices, and for younger kids, accentuate the daftness in my accent and voice more. For older kids, I revert to almost my normal voice.

Kids love a silly voice - if it's done well. Just watch any kids' cartoon or film.

If the kids don't love, and repeat my silly phrases and voices, I know I must be doing something wrong.

You won't be able to "get" my particular approach, without seeing/hearing what I do with my voice - but sure, silly voices are a surefire winner for all ages up to about 7 years.

It's not an obvious technique, though - most magicians I've seen, really don't have enough theatrical training to carry it off. If you decide to work with silly voices, you need to try out variations, and be sure that your voice is genuinely funny. But done right, you can have the kids in stitches, just by saying a couple of words.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
One does not have to talk in a higher voice with kids, nor talk louder to people who can't hear.

Both are done at times.

I use my regular voice, and change pitch, pace, intonation and accent depending on a character I put on.

I also have a pitch changing microphone, that the kids (and adults) like.

After a puppet workshop last semester, several teachers and students had fun singing the Chipmunk Christmas Song...(yes as Chipmunks)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly voices (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL