The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where have I been? What did I do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I have been performing bimonthly at a family restaurant for 18 months. It has a capacity of almost 300 people and on many occasions reaches capacity. Because of the random seating of patrons (determined as tables become available) and the different time duration of their visits, during peak times I am still challenged to remember where I have been and what effects I used if I had been at the table previously (I sometimes return to a table that is enthusiastic about magic).

Does anyone else have this difficulty, and if they did and resolved it, I would appreciate some advice. I hate to admit it, but on occasion I have actually asked the folks if I had already been at their table and/or what did I show them.

The restaurant and patrons are more than happy with me and the effects I use are fine; I just want the evening to go a little "smoother".

Thanks in advance,
John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
A friend had somewhat of the same issue to which he started to leave a small giveaway item at the tables he performed at. It was a visual indication to him if he had worked that table already.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Ginkgo Biloba?
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Where have I been?
Just a suggestion/idea - Work with the hostess to create a list of tables seated in order. Then you can stop by the host stand and jot down the next few tables to go to.

What did I do?
Work the same set with a few extras to perform if asked back to a table.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Spending time at the hostess stand when a 300 seat restaurant is filled to capacity might not be the best way to make yourself useful. They have much better things to do than to worry about where you have and have not been. It does not seem like an intrusion, but when a restaurant is busy you will be suprised.

Why not keep your own list? Just write it down. I can't help with what tricks you have done. I never understood why guys do different tricks and such. But definately keep your own list.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Slowkneenuh We usually perform for tables after the order is placed but before the meal is served. .......... right ??????????
So if you go to a table and they are biting into something, just assume you have been there. if the menues are in their hands you don't go there either. if the bill is on the table and they are drinking coffee, the owner probably wants them to leave.

Given all that - you don't have to tax your brain.

Alternatives, If you're getting old like some of the rest of us. keep a cheat sheet and write-down the table number. By the time you have 7 more numbers on the list you can go back
if that fails, put a gold turkey on everyones forehead. If that fails Get some table-tents printed with your picture on it and the words "If you would like to see some sleight of hand. place this by the edge of the table. The magicians will come-by as time allows."

If that fails get some Ginko Biloba
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
For venues like this I come in beforehand and with a blue pen draw a quick map of the all the seats and make a performance plan. Sometimes Ill take a red pen and "X" out the tables Ive performed for. I have a pretty good memory so I take mental images of the people I perform for. Usually they'll simply tell me Ive already stopped there and I tell them that I couldn't resist doing one last trick for the best table in the place and move on. No biggy.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Harry Lorayne has written books on improving memory you may find helpfull.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
Here's what works for me: I have three layers of effect lists, starting with "first time customers", then on to "been here before", all the way to "regular customers". Now I don't have to try to remember what I did for them; I just need to know how many times they've seen me. Works for me; I hope it'll work for you too. Smile

All the best,
Jim
Magic & Mentalism
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
[quote]On 2013-04-12 19:12, jay leslie wrote:
Slowkneenuh We usually perform for tables after the order is placed but before the meal is served. .......... right ??????????

Jay Leslie is so often right.

This is the best memory prompt or code you could teach yourself. Watch your floor staff and they will be the ones to follow to a table anyway
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Yeah...Jay's method is what works for me. I also try to pay attention to the faces of the guests as I perform for them. I may even ask a name here and there and use the name in my patter. If I'm trying to do a trick using items that they may have on the table...this makes that table stick in memory. Looking at faces...using names...using their stuff....all of this makes the table memorable...at least for me. I write nothing down and hardly ever stop by the same table twice on accident.

I have more trouble remembering them when they come again in a few weeks or months and say...remember us? When that happens, I just say...I gave you your watch back didn't I? Or...look at the guy and say, "I'm sooo sorry, I didn't know she was married." Just kidding. But, I will ask them what kind of magic did I show to them last time. They usually remember something about it. The I show them a different set.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Folks, thanks for the advice! All are good points, but in particular I now realize my effects/sets are not as structured as they should be. I have been relying too much on "spontaneous" tricks using pockets stuffed with more effects than necessary. Although some of my challenges may be related to memory (I am trying NOT to think that), I haven't been utilizing the staff or observing as much as I should and I am guilty of letting the "pace" of the restaurant overwhelm me. The good news is that the customers, management and staff like me and my contribution to their enjoyment/success should increase with this advice. So "double-O's" for now, organization and observation!

Best regards,
John
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Where have I been? What did I do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL