The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hopi masks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22119146

A quick lesson on Hopi masks and some great photos.
Underpinning it, a sad story of oppression and lack of respect - kinda topical still, eh?
[
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Very controversial, indeed!

Doesn't sound fair to me. . .
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Not controversial, 30 years ago I bought 2 pipes (Cherokee and Adena culture) sold (among 20 others) by an American museum. They acquired the calumets, then sold them laater and no one never complained.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I think it is, and should be seen as controversial. Just because someone hasn't happened to have noticed in certain instances.

That doesn't make the morality aspect of the transaction alright. Not on the part of the purchaser nor the seller, especially a museum.

A museum one would think would have the duty tp protect and respect the sacredness of a givenartefact.

At least that is my opiion on the matter.

Kotah
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That article didn't cover the story well, from both sides. The court held that since the masks had already been bought and sold, they had already been converted into commercial property. If the person who made them was really concerned about their sacred character, he would not have sold them.

It's a complicated issue. I have a number of friends who are curators in anthropology museums. One is in charge of a repatriation project. Sometimes, artifacts are demanded by modern tribal entities, even when the items are from tribes who existed long before the current inhabitants of an area. "It's our ancestors" doesn't cut it, in reality. But the politics of the situation make it into another kind of story.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
On one hand, if indigenous cultures want their artifacts back assuming these cultures are in current existence then IMO they have every right but on the other hand, how would other people experience those cultures in museums without just reading about them? Anc private ownership opens an entirely different can of worms.
Very interesting masks though.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 04:04, Trickster 1 wrote:
Nice photos ! Thank you for the link.

Merci!
Pas probleme...
:)
[
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 15:14, Harley Newman wrote:
That article didn't cover the story well, from both sides. The court held that since the masks had already been bought and sold, they had already been converted into commercial property. If the person who made them was really concerned about their sacred character, he would not have sold them.

It's a complicated issue. I have a number of friends who are curators in anthropology museums. One is in charge of a repatriation project. Sometimes, artifacts are demanded by modern tribal entities, even when the items are from tribes who existed long before the current inhabitants of an area. "It's our ancestors" doesn't cut it, in reality. But the politics of the situation make it into another kind of story.

Well put, Harley!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Hopi masks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL