The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where can you print your own jumbo playing cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevegreene
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of stevegreene
Hey I have an effect in mind, I need to be able to print my own jumbo playing cards with a picture. I need it to look and feel professionally done. Is there a company who can do this for me?
Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
USPCC will make custom decks for you (not sure if they will do Jumbo), but you would need to have a large number of decks done. If you only need a few decks, you might check with your local printing press to see if they can do them to spec. Depending on the printing press, they may charge you quite a large amount for doing small runs, but it may be worth it!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Contact Haines House of Cards, they print on playing card stock.

You may want to check with Fun Inc. as they print on playing cards as well.

You mention "Picture" do you mean a photograph. I have not seen anything printed on playing cards but printing alphabet letters and line drawing, some with color.

If it is a photograph, you may have to design your own card and start from scratch.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
I've printed some using laser printers and card stock. I had glossy paper (glossy one side plain the other) and black construction paper. I printed the card back on one piece of glossy and the car front on another. Then sandwiched the black construction paper in between the two prints.

This creates a really sturdy prop you can use for quite a few performances before you need to make another one. The image can be anything you can scan. One tip I learned the hard way was to make sure you use registration marks so you can align the front and back.

You'll need a decent image editor like Gimp or Photoshop if you want to make custom gaffs.

They turned out like this:

Daeld
View Profile
New user
So far, I have about
84 Posts

Profile of Daeld
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 11:49, Craig Ousterling wrote:

They look brilliant! How do they handle?
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

They handle decent. The cards don't stick together but if you press hard you can get a clingy effect. I think because they are glossy card stock. You can do any custom size under 8x10 for really cheap.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Great job Craig.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 11:49, Craig Ousterling wrote:
I've printed some using laser printers and card stock. I had glossy paper (glossy one side plain the other) and black construction paper. I printed the card back on one piece of glossy and the car front on another. Then sandwiched the black construction paper in between the two prints.

This creates a really sturdy prop you can use for quite a few performances before you need to make another one. The image can be anything you can scan. One tip I learned the hard way was to make sure you use registration marks so you can align the front and back.

You'll need a decent image editor like Gimp or Photoshop if you want to make custom gaffs.

Great job, just be careful of copyright infringement of the card designs.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

I did have the copyright thing in the back of my mind but ultimately told myself I'm not selling or mass producing or giving these away. They are personal use only and not on TV or in movies. If USPCC made these I'd buy them from them as it would probably be cheaper than I can make them and they'd be on REAL USPCC cardstock. But they don't Smile
These cards are about 7.25x10.

I just wanted people to see that its really easy to make good quality 'looking' cards and even custom gaffs for not that much money.

1: You need Glossy card stock that you can run through a laser printer.
2: construction paper (any color will do but black and almond are my favorites)
3: Rubber cement
4: Scissors (or more precise cutting can be had from a self healing mat, straight rule and razor)
5: Scanning and Photo editing ability.
6: A laser printer or Kinko's style copy shop.

If you're a DIY type person, you probably have most of these things laying around such as the first five things on the list.

Craig
stevegreene
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of stevegreene
Wow that Lola great craig
Franky33
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Franky33
That came out really well. Nice work.
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Contact Doc Haley Magic (Steve Varro). http://www.gospelmagic.com

I have obtained some jumbo blank cards from them in the past.

I then printed my design and spray mounted it onto the face of the card, then placed sticky-back laminate right over the face, and they were glossy, and very durable. I've had mine for 15 years now, and other than a little warping of the card, the face looks like it did when I first made it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where can you print your own jumbo playing cards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL