The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you feel about a NERF gun? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
With all of the negative feelings about guns, how do you feel about having a kid using a Nerf, dart gun to do a magic trick?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I personally would never include this prop, as I tend to be very conservative in my approach. This is partially because of the advice I have received from many who perform for children here, who make sound arguments on how negative perceptions can quickly turn off potential or existing clients. My younger age is another reason I tend to stay away from anything potentially controversial. I do know of others who are comfortable with incorporating such items without any backlash. It amy come down to your personal show and the brand you have created.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Depending on how it's used, it may work for most audiences. However, I'd not risk it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think they are find as long as you're not having them pointed at anyone.
Still, it might be a tad non-PC. I probably wouldn't use one but that's just me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
How about a little canon on wheels instead?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I bought some soft mini baseballs, and I plan on having the kid volunteer throw those at the target, instead of using the Nerf dart gun.

I could have a funnier routine with the dart gun, but I too felt that the Nerf dart gun, might be too intense for some parents.

It's too bad that because of crazy, sick people we have now come down to this.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For thirty plus years, I had several FUNNY bits with a blank pistol (a starter gun for training animals, starting races, etc.)

WHEN THE SCHOOL SHOOTINGS first 'hit'. The gun gags were immediately cut.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On 2013-04-19 11:53, Dick Oslund wrote:
For thirty plus years, I had several FUNNY bits with a blank pistol (a starter gun for training animals, starting races, etc.)

WHEN THE SCHOOL SHOOTINGS first 'hit'. The gun gags were immediately cut.

Me too!, and if they can suspend a kindergarten kid for make a finger gesture like a gun, another child for eating a cupcake that resembled a gun, image the Magician hauled out in handcuffs.
Dennis Michael
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
I think that as long as the gun looks totally like a toy, and you are not shooting to hurt, but maybe to hit a target or fire through a hoop, I don't have a problem
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Wizardpa wrote: I bought some soft mini baseballs, and I plan on having the kid volunteer throw those at the target, instead of using the Nerf dart gun.

Good idea!!

When I was teaching junior children full time, if guns got a mention, I always told the kids, time and again,
'Never point a gun
at anyone."
Said at a suitable pace, it's an easy-to-remember rhyme. I got the kids to say it several times to emphasise the message.
So, if using a gun for magic, it would be easy enough to quote that rhyme as part of the trick.
The presentation makes the magic.
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
No guns...toy...blank...nerf or otherwise. Schools and many parents feel strongly about it. Many kids also are sensitive to it Not worth the risk IMO.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The only "gun" is use in my show is the Smokey Mountain "Pop Gun", because it doesn't look like a gun at all. It's a great prop which looks really cool, but is so far removed from any normal person's concept of a "gun", that I think it's OK.

I also use the miniature cannons in my flea circuses - but cannons are so ancient, my feeling is that they don't seem like "weapons" any more - folks might see them in museums, and old ships, but otherwise, are most likely to encounter them in entertainment - such as circuses, and magic acts.

I would also have no problem using a "Bubble Gun", or a "Silly String Gun", but even with those, I think you have to be a little careful, because they do tend to resemble real guns far more.

Needless to say, boys frequently ask for balloon guns, which I don't mind making, although I've sometimes been asked not to make them.

And one of the best "gun" routines I know of, is Scott Alexander's Paint Ball routine. That does use a paintball gun that looks pretty scary. I think it's suitable for older kids and adults, but certainly not younger children.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
As good as it may be, it WILL have negative repercussions with most schools (in the US, anyway) and many parents.

Yes, it may be crazy, but PUT DOWN THE GUN if you like being hired.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How do you feel about a NERF gun? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL