The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT hook up in armpit??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Hello everybody. I just recently bought Terry Lunceford's wonderful Floating Finger Ring effect. Unforunately, it doesn't give any explanation to how he hooks the IT up in the armpit. I usually use an ITR but I do not think this will work for this effect. If anybody can give me some ideas on how to hook this IT up in armpit, I'd greatly appreciate it. Really excited about performing this.
Thanks!
Chad
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Contact Lunceford
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Thanks Pete but can't find a website with a phone number for him. I tried the phone number given on the DVD but it is no longer in service.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here contact any of these members to see if they can answer your questions, just PM them.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=218&4

I would say you tie the IT around a extremely small safety pin, painted black or whatever color you shirt is. It should be a long sleeve shirt that has a dark busy design of course.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Thanks so much for that Bill, I really appreciate that. That is exactly what I've been doing but am hoping to learn another hook up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Being it is IT, I don't think any other method would be much of an advantage due to breakage, but you could also go buy some small fishing hooks, cut the point an barb off with a cutters, then attach the line to the hook. Now all you would have to do, is get the gig, unwind the IT form a card and hook it under your armpit. If you can think of any other type very thin hook, that will work, I can only think of those small fish hooks. Be careful, they can bite you fingers while handling.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Steve Fearson uses armpit hookups as well as many other via his Thread Bullets or The Amazing Joe Joes Web Spinner availible at http://www.emagicsupply.com he has an amazing thread product line from beginner to professional grade threads and elastics. Buy a thread bullet and he sends you a link to a quick instructional video and password. he has a download as well for his handling of the WebSpinner.

I have been doing magic for almost 20 years now and find his stuff simply inspireing (Joe Joe as well) They have both taken the concept of an ITR and streamlined it in 2 outstading yet unique directions. no pins needed... resets in seconds if you break it... multiple hookups, props, types and strengths of thread and elastics. some so strong you can float a deck of cards with little distance and some expert grade thread coming soon (mine is pre ordered) that can be used very close up but not as strong (of corse, that's why its expert Smile ). definately a good site for threadworkers to check out and reseach Ideas if nothing else. I have all the thread types, the web spinner and the master levitation system as well as many older style itrs I got through the years and a couple boss reels. I have got to say though the thread bullets are great if you want to hook and book. Prestripped, your choice of thread and a quick video demo - you are ready.

PM me if you have any specific questions on a particular product. Hope you find this useful
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have had a little time to play around with the armpit hookup now and have to say --- it goes off without a hitch. I have been in the hospital for a week and was able to make a short hookup from under my arm/ over my good ear and about to my bedside table with nothing od but an oversized hospital gown and was able to entertain myself quite adequetly as well as an ocasional nurse passing by in the hall who would step back quickly and ask "was that money / fork / card... just floating by itsself "? I am convinced with this hookup at this point. and the thread bullets or the web spinner equally work.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Got my expert grade spool of Vectra Virtuoso today finally along with a free thread bullet of same and samples of flesh and blackk master wax (for pre-order) and I must say - this stuff is bar-none the most invisible thread product I have ever (almost not) seen Smile It is definately designed for lighter levetations ie dollar, single card, ping pong ball, cigarette... but WILL stand up to some pretty dang close scrutiny. I am impressed with this product and find it well worth the wait. (actually impressed with the entire line).

after some extensive playing around with the several hookups taught I have settled on a favorite. Thread bullet under armpit - thread up and through eyeglasses and down to fingertips with a small piece of flesh master wax.

Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-06-22 19:12, Poof-Daddy wrote:
after some extensive playing around with the several hookups taught I have settled on a favorite. Thread bullet under armpit - thread up and through eyeglasses and down to fingertips with a small piece of flesh master wax.

Edit... Eyeglasses are now out of the picture. My particular frames allowed the thread to get caught in the hinge twice while working on my routine this weekend. Not sure if te ceiling fan pushed it toward the hinge or if it just slid there. So... Ear or over head will replace the eyeglass portion for me.

Anybody else had this type of problem before?

Smile Smile
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Yup. If you can stand the feel of the thread on your face, move it to the middle area of your glasses, presuming you don't have a bar that connects the top but simply the curved one in between the lenses.

However, it does suffer from the same trouble when you're 'roaming free' as it were... vagarities of wind, ect can blow it off course.

One main reason why I stick to the traditional ITR's. I don't like having the IT exposed to snags, ect when I'm not using it. Static line hookups have their points, but virtually any effect can be done with an ITR properly placed and with proper management.

Z grip, Z grip, Z grip.

I am seriously contemplating the Vectra Virtuoso, though... Vectra's my standard thread, but I *do* like the idea of the 'spring' factor to cut bounce. How long is the sample piece?
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Firstly, I do have the top type bar on my glasses and the bar was full of ceiling fans which I'm sure caused the snag.
secondly, I know you can buy a Vectra replacement for a BOSS reel so I would contact them about maybe a Vectra Virtuoso replacement.
thirdly, I did not get a sample, I went all in and preordered a spool (500ft unstriped) for $40 and it came with a free thread bullet of same (20 ft stripped) and some sample master wax.

all in all, I cant say enough good about the whole line

Smile Smile
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I just ordered an Alpha ITR small boss-size style reel with the new quick reset, but it comes with Kevlar. I'm a little worried about the Kevlar being too visible, so I've also been looking at my options. The Vectra Virtuoso spool with bonuses is pretty tempting. Have you guys ever re-filled your reels? Would a bullet make that easy or is buying a re-fill spool the best way. I think the Vectra refill for a Boss might be the way to go for my concerns. I could always run a black marker down my Vectra refill for added security I've heard too. Does marker do anything on Kevlar? Is Kevlar a bad ITR option anyways or am I being overly paranoid? I suppose I should wait for that to arrive and then order a bullet of Vectra to compare the threads and a sample of that new virtuoso. If the Virtuoso is amazing I can go all in like the above poster.'

I'm tempted to just buy a bunch of different products to have every possible base covered. I just don't want to be frustrated with thread work out the gate because I am very new to it.

I'm getting rambly, but what I really want to know is how you guys feel about Kevlar? Is it enough of a concern that I should look at swapping out my stock thread in the reel right away? I read about the Alpha here already but I lost track of that thread.

I suppose I should have just gotten the Titan, but I didn't realize it used the Alpha design at the time of my ordering. I'm torn on the thread options I have to choose from. I could also get a boss Spectra replacement reel. Anyone have thoughts on Spectra?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The thread bullets are made to be used as is or you can re spool an ITR and throw away the biodegradable bullet itself.
If you are very new to thread work, stick with the regular Vectra line or Kevlar. Vectra Virtuoso is "expert grade" and you probably will break a lot of it if you are not used to thread work. Also, you may want to try the Web Spinner. It comes with 2 types of thread one being the regular Vectra. Get the DVD companion too and you will learn care and feeding plus routines. But mostly, how to easily fix a broken thread in seconds on the go.

Smile Smile
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
That web spinner does look like a terrific option for me right now. Thank you for the feedback Smile

I decided to purchase a web spinner and throw down $5 on the expert grade virtuoso sample. This means I will have a little bit of Haar, original Vectra, Vectra Virtuoso, and Kevlar (from my ITR). That covers the vast majority of my bases. I can then judge if I want to buy some larger spools of any of the above or maybe a bullet of one and a spool of another. The only thing I'm still considering is some Infinity thread (I think that's the name) so I can make my own loops out of an elastic IT. I think having a Fearson hookup, an ITR and loops on me all at once I could 'repeat' a trick but do it very differently every time, totally throwing people off.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You can make elastic loops out of Fearsons EVE way stronger than loops.

Smile Smile
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
I just was looking into EVE last night - I will for sure be buying that instead of Infinity IET. Thanks for your help.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
If you were me - would you upgrade your ITR from Kevlar to Vectra, or Spectra? I suspect Vectra, but Spectra would be more invisible, right? It's just not as strong, was my current understanding.

I also just realized you mentioned that a large order of thread comes with both master wax and a bullet. That makes the actual cost more like $25-30. I'm addicted to thread and I still haven't gotten my ITR, spinner or sample yet! I've been watching tons of routines and just recently watched Fearson's Master Levitation System and Ammar's 3 volume series. I will definitely have to watch all of them more than once just to make sure I don't miss any little tricks. I have already absorbed so much and really like the practice rigs James George (he is a special guest on Ammar's videos Smile )and Ammar put together. Most of volume 2 is actually about how to use ITRs in interesting, ways. There is some real gold in there. I also liked some of the straight IT hookups. I knew of Fearson's from earlier, but now I picked up like 4 more. The Harlem Hookup, I think it's called, really reminds me of a Loop that is not quite a Loop. There's a full range of motion and very similar approach to utilizing the IT in that fashion. It's truly fascinating how deep and thorough this rabbit hole goes. I love how I can talk right to these absolute pioneers of the field through email. What an incredible resource.
roguewave
View Profile
New user
IL
88 Posts

Profile of roguewave
Quote:
On 2013-06-30 14:27, Ekuth wrote:
Yup. If you can stand the feel of the thread on your face, move it to the middle area of your glasses, presuming you don't have a bar that connects the top but simply the curved one in between the lenses.

However, it does suffer from the same trouble when you're 'roaming free' as it were... vagarities of wind, ect can blow it off course.

One main reason why I stick to the traditional ITR's. I don't like having the IT exposed to snags, ect when I'm not using it. Static line hookups have their points, but virtually any effect can be done with an ITR properly placed and with proper management.

Z grip, Z grip, Z grip.

I am seriously contemplating the Vectra Virtuoso, though... Vectra's my standard thread, but I *do* like the idea of the 'spring' factor to cut bounce. How long is the sample piece?

I've watched an absurd amount of material on IT and ITRs lately and let me tell you - you speak the truth. There are of course benefits to all of the older style hookups and drawbacks to an ITR, but I really think the Z grip is the often ignored game changer. It's superb just for making the audience think they know how it's done, as Ammar points out in his DVDS. Until last night I was worried I couldn't use the reel to twirl a card but the Z grip clearly makes this possible with no problem at all.

Have you ever combined the Z grip with a Fearson head, eyeglasses, or ear hookup? Floating something to my mouth is something I have tremendous interest in, whether it be a Cigarette a la Fearson, a wintegreen a la Ammar, or a Cheeto - back to Fearson Smile Have you had any luck with ITR to mouth tricks? If this is too specific I am fine talking in PMs as well. Thread work is where my heart is at the moment. I guess I just want to make sure I justify the ITR purchase to myself by mastering as many techniques with it as possible.

Do any of you have the locking one? How does the locking mech engage? Is a Z grip just as good for most intents and purposes? Is it like a little hook you engage or a button, or is it something that is more automatic. How would you slyly engage or disengage it? Is it possible to lock by accident and break your thread? I'm obviously kind of wanting to hear that the Alpha or Titan are good enough, ahem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT hook up in armpit??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL