The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of poverty... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I heard a number of celebrities talking about doing this...whether it's a PR thing or not as far as their involvement, it sounds very interesting.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
"We are the World?"

How about paying your employees a real wage,
end the despoiling of our resources,
end the propping up of a false democracy,
end the killing of poor people sent to fight rich men's wars,

for five days?

Then I wouldn't mind if you spend a couple of bucks on lunch.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Poverty breeds hapiness.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Those that do it are altruistic anyway....
The question is not how much more sacrifices we can get out of the "sacrificial ones", the question is how do we create a new global culture, so that EVERYONE feels the urge to sacrifice....

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
It is very easy to live on $1.50 a day for 5 days in the comfort of your home.

If you want to see what the real world feels like do this in an environment that is new to you. Go to a city or town that you have never been to and spend five days with just the clothes you are wearing and no cash in your pockets. Just do this for 5 days and experience what it is like to really be without. See how other's look at you and how some will treat you. It is a sobering experience.
Leave your cell phone at home and do not communicate with Family or Friends.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
This campaign is unfair to waiters and waitresses, among others.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 06:32, irossall wrote:
It is very easy to live on $1.50 a day for 5 days in the comfort of your home.

If you want to see what the real world feels like do this in an environment that is new to you. Go to a city or town that you have never been to and spend five days with just the clothes you are wearing and no cash in your pockets. Just do this for 5 days and experience what it is like to really be without. See how other's look at you and how some will treat you. It is a sobering experience.
Leave your cell phone at home and do not communicate with Family or Friends.
Iven Smile

Yes. Reminds me of the Mel Brook's film "Life Stinks."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Were there any poor people before we had money?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-04-29 21:36, landmark wrote:
"We are the World?" .

The world is so mundane... go stellar! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5H94GHb-......a_player
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
There was an article on an experiment such as this in one of the Chicago newspapers a decade or so ago. One of the reporters lived as a homeless person for a week or two and described his experiences. He said that the only people who were nice to him, the only people who interacted with him as if he were human, were liquor store owners. One of them even gave him a miniature of vodka. Gave him. He thought that was a very nice gesture. The only one like it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In that genre there's the excellent book Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting By in America by the wonderful writer Barbara Ehrenreich.

Quote:
Our sharpest and most original social critic goes "undercover" as an unskilled worker to reveal the dark side of American prosperity.

Millions of Americans work full time, year round, for poverty-level wages. In 1998, Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that a job -- any job -- can be the ticket to a better life. But how does anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich left her home, took the cheapest lodgings she could find, and accepted whatever jobs she was offered. Moving from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, she worked as a waitress, a hotel maid, a cleaning woman, a nursing-home aide, and a Wal-Mart sales clerk. She lived in trailer parks and crumbling residential motels. Very quickly, she discovered that no job is truly "unskilled," that even the lowliest occupations require exhausting mental and muscular effort. She also learned that one job is not enough; you need at least two if you int to live indoors.

Nickel and Dimed reveals low-rent America in all its tenacity, anxiety, and surprising generosity -- a land of Big Boxes, fast food, and a thousand desperate stratagems for survival. Read it for the smoldering clarity of Ehrenreich's perspective and for a rare view of how "prosperity" looks from the bottom. You will never see anything -- from a motel bathroom to a restaurant meal -- in quite the same way again.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
ANd let's not forget Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2013-04-30 12:34, tommy wrote:
Were there any poor people before we had money?

Great Q!!!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
In a state of nature, human beings, like the rest of the animal kingdom, are all poor: naked, unhoused, hungry, often sick, and with 50% of males dying as the result of murder and low-level warfare. At least according to the paleolithic evidence.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
?

Are you saying that if we did not have the invention we call money then we would have to live like wild annimals?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Speaking of poverty... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL