The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Starting show late (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Sitting in car, brousing, and curious why my original post, posted again by itself? I didn't write the same thing. It just came up again. Oh well
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Whoa, I'm not kidding, I promise with every inkling of me, I'm not writing same thing. Why is it doing that?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2013-05-05 09:17, The Great Zucchini wrote:
'Jimmy's party starts at, The Great Zucchini starts at 11 15- people will be on time,

That would work if the various cultures in this area would be on time. It's not uncommon for someone to walk in the door, two hours late, and they're still wrapping the gift.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Funny, that happened to me for the first time ever, today. A kid arrived at the party 90 minutes late, and her friend was telling her all about the show she'd just missed. I asked her why she'd been so late, and her reply: "We had to go and buy a birthday present for (the birthday child)".

Now, that's a first....miss the party, because you're busy buying a present for it?
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
I was almost late for my show this weekend. Ive only been late twice in 14 years. London's major ring road, the M25 was shut, just at the bit I needed to use. I gave myself 2 hours to do a 50 minute drive and just got to the show on time. It did mean me rushing my set up and not being able to make a start on the balloons. I had to make them all in the tea break, so they were a rush job, but the job got done
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sometimes, as many others can testify, rushed-shows are great because you have extra adrenalin coursing through your veins.

At least, with cell phones you can stay in touch. I remember when there were no cell phones and several times, people moved the party over to a park & there were no notes outside the empty house.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Starting late becuase of the client - rarely happens.
I provide full color birthday invitations to my clients to send to their guest. this does 2 things for me.
one- branding- every kid and parent see my face my name and website on the invitation
two- builds excitement.
not just a party with a magician. I have a name!!
I also ask the party parents to make sure they tell the guest that the show needs to start on time as I am very busy and most times have several shows in the same day.

I also educate my clients to plan the party for say 1pm and my show for 1:30 pm this gives every one a 30 minute buffer.

on rare occasions if something very unexpected happened and they ask if I can wait 5-10 minutes that is no problem. I build in extra time to cover my butt.
some times I will do some walk around other times I just throw on some fun dance music and let the kids go nuts.
helps me drain some of the energy before the show.

I think the bigger issue here is that you as the magician - the entertainer need to control the situation. you need to educate your client and help them realize that your not just there for the fun of it. this is your job and you might have several other jobs that day. you cant just sit around.

but its important that YOU are not late. although that happens some times. traffic accident held you up or house was not easy to find etc etc.
but if you do school shows. don't BE LATE.

have fun what ever you do

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-05-04 11:48, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Charlie,

So, why not tell us what you do?.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerry

Send me a PM
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
One of my best shows got stated late
due to poor directions.I was nervous
being late and hurried setup trying
to make up time.And amazingly enough
The show went well without a hitch.
Todd
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Quote:
Well played
On 2013-05-05 22:36, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-04 11:48, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Charlie,

So, why not tell us what you do?.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerry

Send me a PM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Starting show late (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL