The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Medicine Show Kuma Tube (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
What's the overall scheme of the show? What medicine is being pitched? What does it cure? And how is this particular prop going to fit in?

1890s has a lot of different styles, materials and colors. You want to fit your apparatus to the rest of theme and to your character.

Before you decide what color it is, consider: Who are you? What is this thing? When and where did you get it? What's it supposed to do?
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
If you want your 65 back on those mak ones ...PM me.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Wise advice CJRichard. I think I was "putting the horse in front of the cart", as they say. I have some homework to do. I'm going to hang onto both sets till I figure it out.

Thanks!
DeWayne
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you do decide to sell that original set, try to contact one of the guys who collect UF Grant/MAK. They very often look for variations of the same prop. It's also fairly obvious that they have high regard for the maker from a historical standpoint. Whereas I might consider a re-furbish job, as I've defined above, they are in it for the collectibility aspect.

They can also be useful to you in identifiying a piece you might have a question about.

http://ronsmagicpalace.com/

http://www.magictrickcollection.com/

There may be others that I'm not aware of.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Thanks Michael. I looked at both your references. In both cases the stencil used on my Kuma Tubes is the same stencil shown on what they refer to as "Moxahalla". The tube looks to be the same size but the Moxahalla tube is yellow and green. Mine is red, white, and black like all the Kuma Tube I see just with the "wrong" stencil.

Thanks!
DeWayne
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I noticed that, too. No telling why that might be, fluke or intent. Curious, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I'll let you know the one guy wanted to see a picture.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
http://www.magictrickcollection.com/

"Thanks for sending the picture. If that's not a Moxahalla then you have what appears to be rare combination. The Kuma Tubes themselves are rare in good condition."
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Michael;
After seeing the amazing quality of your work, I would venture to say that any piece you refinish will someday be a collector item as will your original work.

"The very essence of the creative is its novelty, and hence we have no standard by which to judge it."
Carl Rogers
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2013-05-07 11:12, DeWayne wrote:
Thanks Michael. I looked at both your references. In both cases the stencil used on my Kuma Tubes is the same stencil shown on what they refer to as "Moxahalla". The tube looks to be the same size but the Moxahalla tube is yellow and green. Mine is red, white, and black like all the Kuma Tube I see just with the "wrong" stencil.

Michael Baker: Why are there different patterns?

When so much paint is applied over time, the stencil becomes too thick, brittle and hard to spray through - so a new stencil is made. Since there was no master pattern to follow new stencils are usually made differently depending on how they felt that day.
If the artwork is applied by silkscreen the screen is cleaned-off and is reused for years.

That's the story I got from Swoger and what I've experienced meself.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Hey Jay!

Got the tubes today. Just what the good doctor ordered. THANK YOU!

For some reason you do not have a PM button or I would have let you know via that method.

Thanks!
DeWayne
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
I have the same set, used them quite a bit years ago. I always liked the kuma tube effect, the production of the fishbowl is a startling ending, the gimmick in the tube really makes it appear as though the bowl cannot fit inside of it. I did have plans to make a much larger/stage version but never got around to it, I have seen many times in hobby stores/fabric places they sell copper pot type items which would be great instead of a fishbowl, I believe Owens sells one similar to this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Medicine Show Kuma Tube (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL