The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Good tricks for talent shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
At my school, we are given two or three minutes to "show off" our talent to the school and I was wondering what might be a good illusion. I am into performing large stage illusions instead of multiple smaller tricks due to the size of the stage and time limit.
The trick needs to be:
transportable
not angle sensitive(or at least have limited angle sensitivity)
quick
not extremely pricey
visible
exciting

the last two years, I performed Harry Houdini's Metamorphosis and a chair suspension.
I have about eight months until the performance, but I want to be thinking ahead about something like this.

I was thinking I might perform a sword basket effect, but I am not aware of the attributes of this effect. Any help is appreciated. Smile
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
A 4 by 4 perfect square is a really good stage effect. It takes 2 to 5 minutes depending on how much presentation/patter you put into it. If you don't know what a 4x4 perfect square it is where any 2-digit number is given by an audience member and, in under thirty seconds, you fill in a 4 by 4 grid with numbers(each of which are different). Each of the columns and rows add up to the chosen number, and so do the diagonals, quadrants, the inner 4 numbers, and the corner numbers. That's 16 ways to make the chosen number, all written into the grid in less than thirty seconds. This effect has been part of my routine for a long time, and as long as you are performing for non-magicians(or laymen, whichever you prefer) the audience will be convinced that you're a genius. If you don't know how to perform this I will gladly send you a PM showing you how. It isn't as difficult as it sounds. Roy
Are you watching closely?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
If you go with a magic square, you might want to visit here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15
Also, consider ways to get a number from someone ahead of time but not know it.
Then when you put numbers into the square, they never see their number.
Until you ask for it, confirming that there's no way you could have known it.
And then you start adding things up ....

You might also want to spend a coupla bucks here:
http://www.lybrary.com/product_info.php?products_id=88
for a large amount of ideas.

What's good for a talent show?
Something you can do well that shows off your talent.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Good tricks for talent shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL