The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Moving Knot (knot unexpected by Jim Steinmeyer) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yesopunk
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of yesopunk
Hi guys! I need your help, I recently bought this trick but I confess, I have not been able to perform it since the instructions are not clear, you receive a knife (gimmicked) and a photocopy explaining poorly the effect, the problem is that I do not quite understand how you are supposed to "switch" the ends of the rope at the end of the trick, I do not know if anybody owns this effect, if you do please provide me some tips. Another point is that in this trick you can't show the rope OPENLY cut, you just can show the cut ends and the audience assumes it has been cut, am I wrong?, thanks a lot for your replies!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, you are totally wrong, the ends are cut visibly, that is what the knife is for, to cut the rope.

I cannot go into any further details. as this is an open forum, and we are not allowed to discuss secrets in open forums. When you get 50 posts, the secret section will open and you can post for assistance in that forum topic, as it is not broadcast over the Internet.

You might look up the Doug Henning presentation on YouTube and watch that for some pointers.
yesopunk
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of yesopunk
Thanks a lot for your reply!! I see that you know about this effect, and I appreciate your reply; regarding Henning´s performance I have been looking for it but I just can´t find it, I do not know if you can help me, and regarding to the cut I understand how the cut has to be done and how the cut works, what I meant is that you can't "separate" the 2 long pieces of rope when the cut is done, just the ends of the cut rope, please PM if you could giveme some tips, I'd really appreciate it, thanks A LOT for your reply!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sounds like you have a good understanding of the workings of the trick. You are correct that one cannot say walk between the cut rope, but why would you. If you want that ability, then purchase the Bill Neff Miracle Rope trick, but his is not a traveling knot.

You have to do the trick as explained in the instructions, after all the trick is not to over prove you actually cut the rope, as you have 2 spectators standing right there on stage with you. It is very obvious that the rope is actually cut, because it is.

The trick is the sliding of the knot from center to one end then to the other. That is what the trick is, and what you want to show the audience as the miracle effect that the audience will enjoy.

So what I am trying to say, is you don't buy a cake mix to make pie dough. So stay focused on the trick you are presenting and you will be okay.

Hope this helps.
cyberdave03
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of cyberdave03
Here is the 2.0 version (uses scissors instead of knife). You will see what you are looking for if you watch very closely what he does at the end.

http://youtu.be/f7-AhogUA1M
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ah yes! John Cornelius must be smiling!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On May 18, 2013, yesopunk wrote:
Thanks a lot for your reply!! I see that you know about this effect, and I appreciate your reply; regarding Henning´s performance I have been looking for it but I just can´t find it, I do not know if you can help me, and regarding to the cut I understand how the cut has to be done and how the cut works, what I meant is that you can't "separate" the 2 long pieces of rope when the cut is done, just the ends of the cut rope, please PM if you could giveme some tips, I'd really appreciate it, thanks A LOT for your reply!

Here is the Henning special that has the Sliding Rope in it. You have to go to the 9:45 mark to see it. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1570so......ortfilms
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The video referenced above was the very 1st Sliding Knot effect Doug preformed on TV. It was sold in manuscript form after Doug no longer preformed the effect any longer in his traveling appearances. It is the brainchild of another famous magician, not Dough Henning. I cannot remember his name, off hand.

Later changed to the Steinmeyer's Knot Unexpected Sliding Knot trick. It was then sold through Magic Inc. in Chicago.

The reason no one has performed the manuscript version is because it is mechanical and requires altering manufacturing devices, and it requires two assistants. So as it is impractical for most single act magicians, it really never has been seen being performed by anyone else to my knowledge. It would have been way to expensive to be a practical marketed item due to the devices involved and the requirement of needing two assistants. I would imagine the set up for the assistants would have been a bit laborious as well during a show.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
It was invented by Paul Curry. I have the manuscript, but can't find the correct reels for it. It wouldn't be too expensive to make, but not practical if you don't have assistants.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The reels are available to mainly industrial manufacturing companies. Search for such words a retractable reel industrial. I used them in the factory production lines to make air screw drivers available easily to the assembler.

Paul Curry, that is his name, I could not think of it for anything. I have a couple of his excellent packet tricks and could not remember the name of them to look up his name. Thanks for posting his name, PAUL CURRY a really fine magician and inventor of magic tricks.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
You can find this trick among other brilliant creations in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Moving Knot (knot unexpected by Jim Steinmeyer) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL