The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eurovision (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
It's years since I've watched Eurovision and it's as cheesy, corny and trashy as ever.

I thought there was something called Austerity in Europe?

There were enough pyrotechnics in that stadium to invade a middle sized country!

Australia sends perhaps the two worst presenter-interviewers in the history of television to do narration of our broadcast - I wanted to jump in the TV and strangle them, but perhaps it's part of the 'feel' of Eurovision - after all I couldn't understand why Sweden used that smug hostess for the event unless it was her ability to change costume every time the camera glanced away from her.

Highlights

A Romanian vampire singing falsetto - definitely an improvement on Tiny Tim.

The Great Bonnie Tyler wasted on a crap song - terrible shame.

The commentary team repeating before and after Finland's 'Marry Me' that the girl was repeating in the chorus 'for me, for me, for me' so that people didn't make complaints that she might have been singing something else - which it sounded to me that she was. Smile

The Azerbaijan choreography was superb - they must have rehearsed that a million times.

What was the deal with the hostess busting out into a corny song and dance routine at the culmination of a pop contest? - like an Oscars number worst nightmare - very strange!

And the winner - a very annoying song from Denmark.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Tiny Tim was the great
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Interesting, though, that the lingua franca is now English.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
It was a tad cheesy, yeah... I was so looking forward to Bonnie Tyler and the song was just awful.

As a Finn, I am awfully entertained about the press our songs are getting every year... "This its gonna be a hit"..."Our song a great advance favorite..." etc. And after the show is over, and again we are somewhere along the very last its "How the heck did this happen!"

However Krista-our singer-said the she is happy because she got the message across (the two girls kissing). But that's more linked to the ongoing thing here...

We won once, the monster band Lordi (gotta love their outfits)...which I am happy for. Because when they were sent to represent us, a lot of people nearly choked. Priests were all over the news saying things like we should make a law that prevents them from entering...its an embarrassment for our country...its awful music...well when they won it was a great "in your face!" moment for them.
Sent from my Typewriter
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I thought the Finnish song was quite decent catchy pop.

Hopefully Krista's boyfriend gets the message and proposes now. Smile

Must have felt funny watching the girlfriend tell the world she'd written the song to prompt him to do it.

I quite liked the singing doctor from Malta too - but it was so hard to get in the spirit after watching Bonnie sing such an ordinary song.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Yeah our song was nice. Though she wasnt sending the message to her boyfriend...Finland is the only Scandinavian country where gay marriage is not allowed (common law partnership is) and she has been promoting it strongly. But hopefully she gets the proposal too!
Sent from my Typewriter
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Smile She must adapt the message to the audience - she told the Australian interviewers she'd written the song to prompt her boyfriend to propose.

Mind you, the Australian interviewers seemed to me like two drunk office workers who'd just staggered out of an all night Karaoke party so God knows what European musicians thought of them. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eurovision (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL