The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Pump Not Working (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Have not done balloons for over a year. Just the other day, I wanted to do them, but when I used the pump, it would not work. It's the bulb-type pump which you have to squeeze. I could feel air coming out, so the spout is Unclogged. But it can not inflate. Can anybody explain?
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I don't know about that, but I do know that good pumps are really cheap. I bought the Qualatex Dual Action pump from Amazon.com for under $10 (with free two day shipping because I'm a prime member). I saw the Qualatex non-dual action pump at Target recently for something like $6 or $7, too. It was in the party section. I also bought a crappy pump at Dollar Tree the other day which, in a pinch, would work okay.

I wish I could help with the problem you're having, though - but good luck Smile
WhirlwindEnts
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WhirlwindEnts
Solution = throw it away and buy a Qualatex dual action pump Smile
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
If you are making balloons for money, it is imperative to have a backup pump. I use a majiloon, but always have a dual action hand pump as a backup. It's saved my rear on a number of occasions.

Side note: Although I can mouth inflate, I mostly use a pump.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Heck, you could go to dollar tree. They sell dual action pumps. Keep a bunch as backups for a good Qualatex pump.
-Matt
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
My dollar tree pump leaks air... you have to pump it faster than the air leaks, which is doable, but makes it not great for eyeballing a certain length of tail. But still, it's probably better than the kind Orville was describing.
WhirlwindEnts
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WhirlwindEnts
I cheat allot as I generally use an electric balloon pump! Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
And it sounds like you'll be generally using nothing when it breaks. Ha! Not tryin to be harsh here. Just sayin. All in good fun coversation. Smile
WhirlwindEnts
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of WhirlwindEnts
I always have two spare qualatex dual action pumps in my tables for any problems with the battery operated pump.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
This might sound preposterous, but after my initial post about my non-working pump, I bought a package of balloons which also included a pump. Instead of the bulb-pump (which is the non-working one), this new one has an up-and-down handle. This new pump did Not work on both the new balloons and the old ones. But for some reason,I decided to try the non-working bulb again. Strange as it seems, the non-working bulb worked on the New balloons!! Is it because the other balloons were too old? Or because I had not stored them safely enough?
Another strange thing is that the New balloons are the same size and shape as the Old ones, but when I inflate them, they are skinnier than the old ones!! What's happening here? Has anybody else had a similar experience and can explain?
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
[quote]On 2013-05-21 09:56, TKD27 wrote:
I don't know about that, but I do know that good pumps are really cheap.

Good pumps cheap? I find that a good pump is rather expensive, but I'm talking about a one-stroke pump or even an electric one (I love a one stroke).
But if you do balloons 'from time to time' a dual action jandpump will work fine.
I keep one as a backup altough I mouth-inflate a lot (when my wife isn't looking Smile )
A one stroke is a great investment and works a lot easier (for me) since you can leave the pump standing, you don't have to put it away when twisting the balloon and it looks way better.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
Good pumps cheap? I find that a good pump is rather expensive, but I'm talking about a one-stroke pump or even an electric one (I love a one stroke).
But if you do balloons 'from time to time' a dual action jandpump will work fine.
I keep one as a backup altough I mouth-inflate a lot (when my wife isn't looking Smile )
A one stroke is a great investment and works a lot easier (for me) since you can leave the pump standing, you don't have to put it away when twisting the balloon and it looks way better.

I should have specified that good hand pumps are really cheap Smile
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
Indeed Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Pump Not Working (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL