The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Period Arm Chopper (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Just showing off my makeover of a brand new Mak French Arm Chopper in a more period style. The details of how I did it step by step are posted in the Workshop section.

The chopper is supposed to help illustrate the preventive medicinal effect of Ezekiel Boggs Magic Regulating Compound, shown in the bottle. By rubbing the blade with the compound it is supposed to be rendered harmless, passing right through the wrist painlessly. It does not work as planned, but fortunately the severed hand does get restored.

Click here to view attached image.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Here's my bottle. . .

Click here to view attached image.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

Ezekiel the Green
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Nifty! Love your makeover & the idea of the routine.
JDS
View Profile
New user
Florida & North Carolina
5 Posts

Profile of JDS
Trying to locate Frontier arm chopper by Walter Doty
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
The redesign of the arm chapper looks great.
Bob
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1407 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2013, CJRichard wrote:
Just showing off my makeover of a brand new Mak French Arm Chopper in a more period style. The details of how I did it step by step are posted in the Workshop section...

I can't find your workshop section.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
That thread is a couple of years old, now. It's here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=508526

Ezekiel the Green
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1407 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Thank you sir.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I love it. Inspiring even . Thanks for showing us.
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
38 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
Very nice decoration with your Mak arm chopper. I have an abbott's disecto, do you think that would play at ren faires?
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
With my chopper, in Revolutionary War era garb, I play on it's Frenchness. The French were our allies and the thing looks sort of like a guillotine. I play up the comedy, though. "The French have given us many great inventions--fries. . . a fun kind of kissing. . . and choppers. This is household model chops vegetables, slices bread, shreds cheese. . ." and so on.

A Disecto has a rather "mod" look to it. I'm not sure doctoring it up would make it look Ren Faire enough.

Ezekiel the Green
Uninvited
View Profile
New user
Chicago
64 Posts

Profile of Uninvited
Bravo! It does look like a guillotine! It makes me want to perform it with a makeshift puppet that could lose its head!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2015, CJRichard wrote:
With my chopper, in Revolutionary War era garb, I play on it's Frenchness. The French were our allies and the thing looks sort of like a guillotine. I play up the comedy, though. "The French have given us many great inventions--fries. . . a fun kind of kissing. . . and choppers. This is household model chops vegetables, slices bread, shreds cheese. . ." and so on.

A Disecto has a rather "mod" look to it. I'm not sure doctoring it up would make it look Ren Faire enough.

C.J. Richard -

Excellent work, sir ! Smile I love how you've improved this prop. You've inspired me to take another look at redecorating mine.

The version I have is not the Mak version, but was one marketed by Ronjo called the Hands Off Chopper. For my design I replaced the original felt bag with a jute woven bag which looks like a "basket" .

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
For anyone reading this thread , I thought I'd mention that Daytona Magic sells a nicely made plain wood version of this illusion , which makes a nice "blank canvas" to start from to decorate it to match the theme of your act (renaissance , or steampunk, or whatever the case may be) .

https://www.daytonamagic.com/visible-arm-chopper-up830m.html

However, the least expensive way would be to purchase a used Mak unit on eBay or at a magic club swap meet and follow CJ Richard's lead in how to strip it down and refinish it with more attractive theming . http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=508526
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Nice job, m'Lord!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » Period Arm Chopper (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL