The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders FX (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Sorry that should read I purchased this effect and performed it at a corporate gig.....
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 01:22, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-07-08 17:18, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:

Maybe I'm underthinking this, but does a paddle trick really have to be logical? It seems more like fun eye candy to me, and that appears to be the spirit in which the routine is presented on the DVD.

When I said it was illogical, I was speaking specifically about the routine "X" and I wasn't suggesting that the routine needed to be justified.
"Three x's on each side. Wipe one away and we only have two on each side. Let's go back to when we had three on each side. If I wipe one away, we only have two on each side."

-_- really...? Why erase it, bring it back AND THEN ERASE IT AGAIN? You supposedly went back so you could move onto something else... And this sort of thing happens TWICE in the routine... Just talking about this though, I've come up with a modified routine to work around this issue. If anyone who owns this is interested, PM me.

Of course you're right about that - it doesn't make sense to go back in time to when you had "more" on one side because it's "easier to follow," only to immediately wipe another one off. Talk about working at cross purposes. And if that's important to you, then you definitely need to come up with a different routine, like you have. It's not particularly important to me, though, because like I said, this routine is eye candy. It's dots, or X's, or bunnies, or whatever you draw jumping around on the paddle. This isn't one of those routines that stands up to any sort of logical reconstruction.

From a mechanical standpoint, the purpose of the repeated wiping is so you can end up with one mark on each end of either side of the paddle, which allows you to make the mark jump from end to end with a flick, which is the strongest visual portion of the effect. After that you can end on new productions, like Sanders does with the sponge balls or I'm doing with sponge bunnies. At that point, you're off to the next trick before anyone has time to ponder the significance of what has already occurred.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 03:23, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Not to mention that the routine starts off with an 8 second dead time where the performer looks down and draws x's. What a way to kill whatever connection you made with your spectators. Sure, you could tell a joke or something, but you will never be truly, fully present during that time. You'll be concentrating on making all six x's look perfectly identical.

On the other hand, the drawing sequence reinforces the fact that you started with a truly blank paddle on both sides, and the spectator watched you create every mark that is used in the rest of the routine.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 05:41, Daren wrote:
Hi guys, I purchased this effect at a corporate gig the other week and not once did it arouse any kind of oddness? it got great reactions and I think maybe people are thinking too much what the audience are thinking, at the end of the day it is the efffect that matters not the prop. if you bring out a pack of bikes or waddingtons the audience does not care what type of cards you are using but the effect you are doing with the prop, just my opinion

Great, finally, a performer!!

Everyone, just perform, stop overthinking Smile
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I think people are upset that such a simple looking prop can provide such great, visual magic. Smile

That's what R.Sanders does, he brings good commercial magic back to the forefront.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 15:43, Blindside785 wrote:
Great, finally, a performer!!

Everyone, just perform, stop overthinking Smile

I've performed it... My thoughts are coming from experience using this. If it works for others, great. I don't see myself using this.

Another idea to consider is to have a sticker of some sort on one side and start off the routine showing both sides empty and drawing something on one side, but very poorly. You ask them what it is. They don't know or they do, but you tell them it's a pretty bad drawing so it's difficult to tell what it is. You shake it and it visually transforms into the sticker of what you drew, or maybe it changes into a permanent drawing that is very well drawn and clear. Whatever.

Perhaps you start by showing both sides empty and drawing an x on one side. Shake the paddle and now there's an x on the other side as well. Draw two more on one side and when you shake, two more are on the other side as well. Now you shake the paddle and all three x's change colour or become stickers or different shapes or something because on the other side you always had three whatever else's to transform into. I think these ideas are way better even though you don't start clean. The ending is much more surprising, the routine much shorter and do the point and no backtracking for no reason. Still an instant reset.

Perhaps show both sides of the paddle empty, draw an x and show that one appears on the other side as well. Do the same with two more. Erase them all and they all disappear from the other side. How was it done? Snap your fingers and the word MAGIC visually appears on the paddle.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I am certain it is not for everyone and I do like your idea or 3 objects changing to 3 different objects. I have been performing the "variation" of the x routine. I think "starting again" with "6" Xs twice is visually startling. I am a physician in a children's hospital and do this all day with great reactions for staff, family and children of "most" ages.
Like most tricks, not for everyone and not for every setting.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

I agree that going from 6 x's to four x's back to 6 x's is visually startling and it's great, but the actual reasoning behind what happens next is ridiculous; You say you're going back to 6 x's because it was less confusing. Then you proceed to go right back into the situation of having 4 x's... It bothers me because I have to stand there and sound like an idiot who doesn't seem to realize that what he's saying is stupid.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
See my patter for this trick about half way up the page.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
After the first return to 6xs. I say "now you know how the math works", then I "rub away" 2xs and say "that should leave 4 but it only leaves 2, still confused lets start again." It is not brilliant it is inconsistent but it keeps my lips moving while xs jump around.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

I like how you erase both at once, it seems to solve the issues of going back to three only to erase one again. It also seems to create a more drastic vanish of x's. Thank you Xcath1
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
No problem
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Tried it out tonight on my parents, separately. I performed X and then the name routine for my mom and she was blown away by both, no idea how they were done. I would not normally perform one after the other, I just wanted to see reactions (though they both asked why I wouldn't do X and then the name trick. To them, they had NO CLUE how they were done and made for one nice routine.). I then performed the name trick and then X for my dad, he was also blown away by both. X seems to get more reactions from the visuals, but the name routine seems to get more puzzled, surprised reactions when you erase the letters and then when they change into their name, it gets a huge reaction because it's so out of left field. I thought that erasing letters from one side and it happening on the other side was obvious and lame magic, but they swore to me that they were truly impressed by it and had no idea how I was doing it. Therefore, I prefer the name routine as it basically has the same magic as X, minus a few VERY NICE visual moments (which I can sacrifice) but with a much bigger punch at the end. Plus, you don't have to make sure that anything looks identical and the presentation is more flexible based on what you'd like to write on the paddle. My faith has been restored in Turbo Stick and Saturday I will work the name routine at a gig and see how it plays.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Name routine kills. I got extremely lucky one time: I ended up with some scribbles and out of the blue, the mom of the kid that I was performing for said "You know what's funny? That's actually how it looks when she writes her name." I was smiling on the inside Smile I then rearranged the scribbles into the kid's name with a shake and the mom flipped.

Useful tip: Make sure you cap the marker or else ink droplets will fly all over the place when you shake the paddle if you're holding it in the same hand o_O
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Just love this effect. Everbody I performed this for just gets blowned away.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I got this to specifically make a "Reality Test".

Originally I was going to mix methods to create a flickering set of lines that looks like the name breaks apart and reforms.

But the X routine does kill. So I do both.

3 X's , and a name on the other side.
(Good if you get the name in advance without them knowing you know it.)

I show it blank on both sides.
Write the 3 X's, and say it is a "Reality Test".

Show how wiping 1 makes 2 go away. Go through all 3.

Then I say, "If a psychiatrist wanted to test your frame of reality now, they would ask you if you remember your name."
(By now I know their name. But...)
I haven't written anything in front of them except the X's.

Then I reveal the name.

It all seems to make sense to them in the end. The weird item, the X's being meh; just for that unexpected finish.

I have enjoyed it. Smile

*I do the "Let's start again" routine too. Can't beat proven.)

LokI
Robvs
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Robvs
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 20:45, lokikross wrote:
I got this to specifically make a "Reality Test".

Originally I was going to mix methods to create a flickering set of lines that looks like the name breaks apart and reforms.

But the X routine does kill. So I do both.

3 X's , and a name on the other side.
(Good if you get the name in advance without them knowing you know it.)

Write the 3 X's, and say it is a "Reality Test".

Show how wiping 1 makes 2 go away. Go through all 3.

Then I say, "If a psychiatrist wanted to test your frame of reality now, they would ask you if you remember your name."
(By now I know their name. But...)
I haven't written anything in front of them except the X's.

Then I reveal the name.

It all seems to make sense to them in the end. The weird item, the X's being meh; just for that unexpected finish.

I have enjoyed it. Smile

*I do the "Let's start again" routine too. Can't beat proven.)

LokI

Loki, I wonder if there is any way to implement your "FAX" principle.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-07-23 23:51, Robvs wrote:

Loki, I wonder if there is any way to implement your "FAX" principle.

;) It has been said. Nice catch!

LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I actually have a use with the two.
But I do not want to hijack Sanders thread. Smile

L
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Do not make the mistake of dismissing or underestimating the strength of this final answer to paddle effects!!! Anything you or the spectator draws becomes animated!!! Extremely visual, perfect for strolling, resets instantly, involves spectators and can be performed completely surrounded!!! If you aren't performing this, you have no idea what you are missing!!! Thank you so much again Leo Smetsers!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Turbo Stick by Leo Smetsers Richard Sanders FX (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL