The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Square Circle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Anyone got an idea whee to get the large circular tube(s) that are needed for this in the UK? Been thinking of turning it into square triangle for simplicity, and would maybe easier to transport.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Are you building a square circle that is large enough to produce a person? I've seen one before, made from wood for the box and a huge metal tube. The magician produced a large load of silks, bouquets, and his young daughters from the prop.

One more option is the "Cube Squared" Illusion from Creative Magic. It's the same principle, but ultra-portable. You can't buy them new from Creative Magic any more, but they are being sold used (and some are in new condition) by portion holders and other past customers of Creative Magic. When you get enough posts, you can put up an ad in the buy and sell area, to purchase one.

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/cubesquared.htm

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
sammagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Yes to produce a person, and was thinking of maybe constructing it from thick cardboard for weight reasons etc.

Have seen the "Cube Squared", bit of a rip off price wise if you ask me.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
"Cube Squared" is nicely built, well thought out, very portable, and the BA is good. That's my opinion as an owner of the prop.

But if you want to build this classic illusion / trick yourself, cardboard will work fine. I've built and used a Victory Carton Illusion in my show, at one time (I used coreplast instead of cardboard for more durability).

There's a few illusions that can be built out of cardboard, that beginners use. Here's one thread on the topic.

Later on, you can work on one made from wood and metal.

- Donald
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Just a thought... How about fabric tubes with spring metal / wire to hold them in shape expanded but can collapse to a disk for transport? Sometimes children tents / play toys are made like this. Could you replace the fabric on these?

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/6022017......x250.jpg
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There are many furnace repair places (or metal working shops) that will cut aluminum to the size you need, and even roll the edges for safety. I'm sure they could make a large tube, or two. When building my sleigh illusion years ago, I had some specially shaped pieces of aluminum cut for it, which I fastened to the rest of the prop with rivets.

Don't forget to search "The Workshop" area of the Magic Café. This topic might have been discussed before.

- Donald
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Raven: That's essentially what the Cube Squared prop from Creative Magic is...an expensive version (albeit larger) of those pop-up laundry hampers. I personally LIKE the Creative Magic stuff...just can't afford to buy it!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Square Circle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL