The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Durability of cards provided with John Bannon effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
I bought a few John-Bannon-effects - namely Twisted Sisters, Royal Scam and Spin Doctor - and I'm very happy with all of them. I only found the cards that come with the DVD to be very prone to getting dirty and sticky - which is particularly annoying for the effects that take a lot of counting and spreading and pushing-off. Obviously, this is not too much of a problem for Twisted Sisters, but for the other two, it is very well. By very prone I mean VERY prone: I have practiced Spin Doctor not more than 30 times now and already the cards show signs of wear: They start to look dirty and they become sticky, it's virtually impossible to back-spread them correctly. They look like perfectly normal USPCC-playing cards and at the beginning, that's what they handle like, too.
I tried to clean the cards, carefully trying to remove the larger specks of dirt with an X-Actor-knife and an eraser and then using just a little sprinkle of fanning powder, but that didn't really got me too far: They are good for four to five rounds and then start to show the same problems again. I resorted to compile the necessary cards from a few decks I had lying around (USPCC and Phoenix)and that seems to work quite well, although the backs of these cards don't look quite as flashy and colourful as those supplied with the effects. But at least, these cards "behave" like what I'm used to and they last a long time and everything.
Question is: Am I doing something wrong that anyone could think of? Or maybe is this a general phenomenon with certain batches of cards? Anything I could do to clean up the supplied cards? Because quite honestly: I like the effects _a lot_ and would like to use the "original" cards if possible. Many thanks in advance for any hint!
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
The cards are no different than any other bicycle card. Problem is, you are practicing too much, can't have that.

Seriously, if you are performing a packet trick a great deal your best bet is to buy a second for perfomances vs. practice or do what you did and make your own set.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Yes, a second set is wise.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
You may also want to clean your hands more frequently.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
All good advice above. Additionally, practice the "moves and counts" with different cards saving Bannons cards for actual performance.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Yes, Rizzo, I have practice decks and performance decks.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Thanks for all the advice: Will abide by it ...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Can one buy just the refills from John?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have that to be the case with Bannon cards, sometimes with other special printed Gaffs. Don't know if the finish or something is different. I have a few extra sets of the tricks I love. It never occurred to me to keep a separate set for practice. Will certainly do that from now on. John has never listed refills on his website.
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
Twisted Sisters is only $15, not much more than most refills.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Fanning powder and wipe off any actual goo specks with a clean fingernail. (in the reverse order)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Durability of cards provided with John Bannon effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL