The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Wallenda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
For whatever reason we are called to do what we are called to do. What profession is worth risking losing you for your family? That argument is subjective and can be said of anything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 07:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 23:35, Bob1Dog wrote:
Wonderful stuff! He and his family are a national treasure. Make that an international treasure!

I agree Bob, but this amazing feat - as Mr. Cassidy so eloquently stated that was about dreams - was not broadcast at all in The Netherlands. For the Dutch at least - and sorry my Dutch colleagues if this offends you - if a story from another country isn't about a tragedy, or if a program doesn't show other countries at their worst - think NatGeo's Doomsday Preppers - or, if it isn't their sacred "voetbal", it gets no coverage.

Nik Wallenda did something that again borrowing from Mr. Cassidy, was symbolic of human achievement yet even this morning, there was not a word about it here.

All of you who saw this last evening are blessed to have witnessed a great achievement.

I've felt your pain Vlad. I lived in south Netherlands for a year back in the eighties and it was the same then.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 18:07, Chessmann wrote:

However, I feel that his chosen profession does not merit the risk of life and leaving family and children.

Perhaps, Nik believes his art does merit such risk. Maybe the risk itself is a statement of his values...

Can performance art not be about facing our fears, mastering our bodies, and overcoming the impossible? I think this is about as beautiful a statement as any artist can make.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
Bob, one clarification. Within the context of performance art (or whatever one wishes to call it), Nik Wallenda is way up there. High, high accomplishment, no doubt. It was not my intent to disparage what he has done.

However, I feel that his chosen profession does not merit the risk of life and leaving family and children. So, I marvel at what he can do (no lie) but at the same time feel he is taking selfish risks by not making at least some provision for his life.

Several points-

When Wallenda walked across Niagara Falls last year he was widely criticized for using the tether. Many called that a form of cheating that removed all risk. Nik Wallenda, though, maintained that the tether actually was a hindrance to him and only wore it because he was forced to.

The Wallenda's have almost always worked without a net.

There was, in fact, a well-planned emergency routine that was well rehearsed and ready to be implemented. Wallenda trained to be able to hold onto the wire by wrapping his legs around the wire, while two separate rescue helicopters could have reached him in sixty seconds.

Tellingly, even his wife said, before the walk, that he loved his family too much to do anything that he thought was truly dangerous. (Which kind of shows that Wallendas are not normal humans. Things that are dangerous to 99.9% of the population are seen a bit differently by them.)

Yesterday, Nik GAVE something to the world that has really never been seen before on that scale. I wouldn't call that selfish.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 18:57, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:

However, I feel that his chosen profession does not merit the risk of life and leaving family and children.

Perhaps, Nik believes his art does merit such risk. Maybe the risk itself is a statement of his values...

Can performance art not be about facing our fears, mastering our bodies, and overcoming the impossible? I think this is about as beautiful a statement as any artist can make.

Clearly, he does, Whit.

Of course performance art can be about facing our fears, mastering our bodies, and overcoming the impossible? It usually is, isn't it? In fact, it almost always is.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 18:20, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 07:32, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 23:35, Bob1Dog wrote:
Wonderful stuff! He and his family are a national treasure. Make that an international treasure!

I agree Bob, but this amazing feat - as Mr. Cassidy so eloquently stated that was about dreams - was not broadcast at all in The Netherlands. For the Dutch at least - and sorry my Dutch colleagues if this offends you - if a story from another country isn't about a tragedy, or if a program doesn't show other countries at their worst - think NatGeo's Doomsday Preppers - or, if it isn't their sacred "voetbal", it gets no coverage.

Nik Wallenda did something that again borrowing from Mr. Cassidy, was symbolic of human achievement yet even this morning, there was not a word about it here.

All of you who saw this last evening are blessed to have witnessed a great achievement.

I've felt your pain Vlad. I lived in south Netherlands for a year back in the eighties and it was the same then.

I visited The Netherlands a month ago for about two weeks and, to be honest, I had no problem hearing about U.S. news while I was there. As usual, I was actually exposed to far more of it than I wanted to be. Smile

About Nik Wallenda, I can find lots of mentions of it in various newspapers from the Netherlands, at least on their online versions. E.g.:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/21674......d__.html

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1013/Buitenland/a......en.dhtml

So IMHO I think the idea that the media over there ignored the story completely is overstating it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
Several points-

When Wallenda walked across Niagara Falls last year he was widely criticized for using the tether. Many called that a form of cheating that removed all risk. Nik Wallenda, though, maintained that the tether actually was a hindrance to him and only wore it because he was forced to.

I think we understand that audiences like risk and that Nik wants to do it this way.

Quote:
The Wallenda's have almost always worked without a net.

Yes, ok.

Quote:
There was, in fact, a well-planned emergency routine that was well rehearsed and ready to be implemented. Wallenda trained to be able to hold onto the wire by wrapping his legs around the wire, while two separate rescue helicopters could have reached him in sixty seconds.

This is good to know. However, any mishap that would have left him unable to grasp on to the rope would have meant certain death.

Quote:
Tellingly, even his wife said, before the walk, that he loved his family too much to do anything that he thought was truly dangerous. (Which kind of shows that Wallendas are not normal humans. Things that are dangerous to 99.9% of the population are seen a bit differently by them.)

Yes, I understand that this is their attitude toward it.

Quote:
Yesterday, Nik GAVE something to the world that has really never been seen before on that scale. I wouldn't call that selfish.

He entertained people. Of course. You and I are approaching this from 2 completely different viewpoints. You are thinking from the perspective of the performance (or, act, if you will) and how it affects its viewers, and its scale, and I am thinking of the family and how his death would have affected his wife and children - gone forever from them. You see his act the other day as something of great value, but I see it as not much compared with the prospect of children losing their father.

We just balance these scales differently. I see where you are coming from, I believe. I hope you can see where I am.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

So IMHO I think the idea that the media over there ignored the story completely is overstating it.

To use a quote that MMR uses, and I've told him that I'm enamored with it, and I hope he doesn't mind my stealing it here.....

Well alrighty then!

Still, living as an expat in a country is far different from visiting it for a few weeks.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 20:27, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

To use a quote that MMR uses, and I've told him that I'm enamored with it, and I hope he doesn't mind my stealing it here.....

Well alrighty then!

Still, living as an expat in a country is far different from visiting it for a few weeks.

Experiencing it recently, even if only for a couple of weeks, is far different than living there 20+ years ago and relying on outdated experiences. Especially when it comes to current events. (For instance, what did you think of the newly renovated and recently reopened Rijksmuseum?)

But in any case I also provided concrete evidence that the event in question was not ignored by the media there.

And that should trump both of our first hand experiences.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Chessmann-

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from and respect that you would make different personal choices.

But, again, the Wallendas, and many old school circus families, are a bit different. Many of them lost relatives and parents to the high wire. But that only served to inspire the rest of them to try harder to perfect the act.

I'm sure that, if there is a heaven, Karl Wallenda is very proud today of the walk Nik did in tribute to him and to the family.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you, Bob.

I certainly wish Nik and their entire family the best.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 21:18, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-24 20:27, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

Well alrighty then!

Experiencing it recently, even if only for a couple of weeks, is far different than living there 20+ years ago and relying on outdated experiences. Especially when it comes to current events. (For instance, what did you think of the newly renovated and recently reopened Rijksmuseum?)

But in any case I also provided concrete evidence that the event in question was not ignored by the media there.

And that should trump both of our first hand experiences.

Why do you find a need to trump me? I'm not trying to trump you. Are you so opposed to folks with differing opinions that you must resort to responses like the one above?

My God friend, I'm sure the Night Watch looks the same today as it did when I first saw it in 1983. My opinion is just as valid as yours no matter what you may believe. I'll say it again, live it my friend, then you will know it. Say g'night Dick. Smile

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
G'night, Dick! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Great Wallenda (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL