The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first sidewalk shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
This last Saturday was my first time performing for random strangers on the sidewalk. I wasn't looking for tips, rather I just wanted to practice engaging strangers and getting past the nervousness. A friend came with me and video taped a few tricks so I could see where I needed to improve. (Mostly just slowing down my speaking.)I performed for four different groups, and the fourth time I was definately more relaxed. Overall, it was a great time and I got great reactions from the people. My plan is to eventually approach the owner of this one restaurant that usually has crowds waiting for a table outside for 30-90 minutes. Two of the groups I performed for where at that restaurant's corner. The timing was perfect for one group as I just finished a cut and restore shoelace routine when their table was called. As they headed inside I heard the father say to his family "That was great entertainment. I'd sure like to know how he did that." Anyway, I just thought I'd share my story.

Mike
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Well done Mike keep going and you will have great fun.
MagicMatt629
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt629
Thanks for shareing Mike. Keep getting out there as there is no better learning tool than being on the streets engaging. My problem when I first started magic (and again busking) was getting so excited to show the next effect, I would speak really fast. You did great by videoing yourself to see improvements. Be honest with yourself when watching the video. You will be your harshest critic which will cause you to make rapid improvements. Well done and keep us updated on your experiences!
#BelieveTheImpossible

www.facebook.com/MattThomasMagic
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Mike

Thanks for the story of your initial experience.

It sounds like you are taking a reasoned approach - I wish you all the best as you progress.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Mike wrote: "A friend came with me and video taped a few tricks so I could see where I needed to improve." Good idea!! And maybe in the future you could get the friend to video the reaction of the participants/spectators to see what they think of the tricks.
The presentation makes the magic.
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
Thanks guys for the great feedback. I just spoke with my friend and with the July 4th holiday upon us, and our town being a huge resort town, there will be thousands of visitors and we plan on getting out several times. His digital camera wasn't charged, so he used his iPhone. Next time he'll have his camera and will get reactions of the spectators as well. Thanks for the advice MagiCol.

Now I need to read up on how to get tipped (and now not to).

Mike

Click here to view attached image.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Use hat lines!! USE hat lines!! USE HAT LINES!! My first hat line is right at the start of the show and I sprinkle them thru the whole show. Tell the people that you are going to hat them. Then just before the finale I tell people "If you have had fun and forgotten the cares of the world for the last few minutes, I've done my job. After this I will pass my hat, please put bills in it. If all you can afford is a smile that's all right too."
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
I went out Friday with my friend for an hour. He set up his video camera on a tripod, and I found a great spot where people passed by. After 30 minutes of great crowd reactions, I decided to put my hat down on the bench next to me, and started it with a couple dollars of my own. In the next 30 minutes, I had gained 8 dollars in tips. I definitely felt more comfortable and I look forward to next time! Saturday, another friend of mine asked me to do a show at his BBQ. He had about 20 family members/friends. It is very rewarding to hear those rounds of applause after the tricks they like. - I was already hooked on Magic and performing. I don't know what this new level is called? Smile
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
It's called performing, it only gets better Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
@ nautimike

:applause: Smile Smile
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Nautimike, I'd call it the Comfortable Level. A place where you realize that your skills have developed so you are confident in what you are doing, and where you are comfortable being on the street or elsewhere. The more you get out and perform, and the more pitches in different cities that you work at, the more comfortable you get.
I reached a stage earlier this year after almost 5 years of part-time work [mostly one day a week with breaks because of weather, health, other commitments]where I realized "I can busk anywhere!!" I started in a small city, added other cities, went to various shows and fairs and the like, and finally got accustomed to working magic on the busiest street in the biggest city in my country. Every street magician has a different experience in getting to that really comfortable and confident stage where you can just go onto any street in any city and know you are good at what you're doing.
The presentation makes the magic.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Before you are great, you have to be good. Before you are good, you have to be bad. Before you are bad, you have to try.
tabarin
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of tabarin
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 23:36, Dynamike wrote:
Before you are great, you have to be good. Before you are good, you have to be bad. Before you are bad, you have to try.

Great post!
nautimike
View Profile
New user
South Haven, MI
54 Posts

Profile of nautimike
I went back to the same spot this past Saturday for a little over an hour. I made a few tips, but I definitely need to find better engaging lines to entice people to stop and watch. And when I did have crowds watching, I need to work more on drawing them in closer and not watching from afar. Time for me to mine suggestions from this board.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Watch Cellini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67fvfOKgKU
keep in there buddy it gets better ..................hat lines hat them
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first sidewalk shuffle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL