The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » For those who do Illusions, watch this dance... May you be inspired. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
So simple, yet so touching and beautiful.

And the music accompaniment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV_BIsM3mpQ

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I think more presentations of magic illusions need to be like this...simple, reserved and beautiful. Touching the emotions through simplicity can be a very powerful thing.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 10:11, Mike Maturen wrote:
I think more presentations of magic illusions need to be like this...simple, reserved and beautiful. Touching the emotions through simplicity can be a very powerful thing.

Yes. Smile
PetervanRhein
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
58 Posts

Profile of PetervanRhein
The body control is amazing.
I doubt there are magicians who can do this on stage Smile
Touching, reserved and beautiful: Yes absolutely
Simple? No, absolutely not Smile
This is very very hard work
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Beautiful!
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Simply beautiful !!!

Very touching emotionally indeed. Thank you Pakar Ilusi for sharing this link.

Oliver.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 21:00, Oliver Ross wrote:
Simply beautiful !!!

Very touching emotionally indeed. Thank you Pakar Ilusi for sharing this link.

Oliver.

You're welcomed. Smile
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Peter: It is, indeed, simple.

Just not EASY.

;)
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Love watching this stuff. my assistant does this stuff. yes exactly like what you just saw. its amazing when I see her do these amazing dance and balance effects.

it is such a beautiful thing.

thanks for posting it
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-07-14 11:14, Sam Sandler wrote:
Love watching this stuff. my assistant does this stuff. yes exactly like what you just saw. its amazing when I see her do these amazing dance and balance effects.

it is such a beautiful thing.

thanks for posting it
sam

You're welcomed. Smile
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Besides the routine seen here ... Click again and close your eyes. Picture a a beautiful manip routine or illusion to this music. This is a beautiful "focus" piece. Sensitive music like this can really capture an audience' rapt attention and will sell the heck out of a clean and focused routine.Thank you, Pakar. Lovely.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-07-24 18:36, paulapaul wrote:
Besides the routine seen here ... Click again and close your eyes. Picture a a beautiful manip routine or illusion to this music. This is a beautiful "focus" piece. Sensitive music like this can really capture an audience' rapt attention and will sell the heck out of a clean and focused routine.Thank you, Pakar. Lovely.

Nice... Smile

And you're welcomed. Smile
garett
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of garett
They are very impressive, I admire the effort and the skill that goes into their dance.

I do disagree, however, that their style and dancing directly applies to illusionists.

Warning: this comment is purely a matter of subjective taste / opinion and many will disagree with me.

The way I see it, dance is an art form unto itself. There is certainly nothing wrong with fusion. If an artist is both a skilled dancer and magician then they may be able to create a piece that fuses the two and pull it off wonderfully. However, *generally speaking* dancing is so cliche and completely unnecessary in a magic act. It is almost always superfluous and detracts. Just because someone is a talented dancer and can entertain and delight with dance alone is not a sufficient reason to stick it in a magic act. Making the dance stronger or more elegant will not solve the problem that fundamentally the dance just has no place in the routine to begin with.

Everything in a routine should be relevant, both to the theme / plot of said routine and, in a broader respect, to the audience watching. In my very humble and subjective opinion I just don't see what dance has to do with magic and I usually get annoyed when illusionists or assistants dance. To me it usually suggests "we didn't know what else to do so we fell back on the old cliche."

If the magic or theme has to do with dance and vice versa then that's a different story. I'm just not sure I've ever actually witnessed such a thing in my life. Ballet, for example, is supposed to create a feeling of weightlessness. So I can easily imagine a levitation routine themed around a ballet dance, where the lead dancer literally begins to float mid-way; every element blending together seamlessly by design, the theme of the routine being dance to begin with. But dancing to a sawing illusion or zig-zag ... there's just no reason and the result is always ridiculous, embarrassing and cliche beyond belief.

I think the two wonderful dancers in the video are a shining example of how when something stands on it's own, in the full glory of what it is and represents, it is great. Imagine how the act would look if suddenly part way through they had pulled out a zig-zag LOL! :/ Oh and imagine someone views a flawlessly executed artist's dream and then goes and tells these dancers they have something to learn from it!

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wasn't that exact act performed on the American version of AGT? If I remember correctly, even the clothing looks familiar.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Respectfully ... I agree that arbitrary dance is not the best thing to add to a magic act. But, I don’t think Pakar was suggesting that we become inspired to dance. Rather, this clean and focused acro routine can inspire a similarly touching, clean and focused magic routine. A great example of this type of routine would be Lance Burton’s Card Sword to a pensive George Winston piano solo.
garett
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of garett
Excellent point, Paula. I think I felt compelled to express my opinion because it seems a large number of stage illusionists I watch these days are dance numbers. If the illusionist himself does not dance the assistants almost always do. Those performances usually put me off. It now occurs to me that I may have been mistaken when I interpreted Parker's message as being an example of how to dance better.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Garret - You are right that there is a painful amount of "dancing", often by people who have no dance training. Ouch! It's embarrassing.

Years ago, a theatrical pair named Invisible, Inc had a nice blend. It all made sense in the context of their variety act ... plus, they moved very well. Their "My Old Flame" number cracked me up. Anyone remember that number? Funny, cute and sweet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » For those who do Illusions, watch this dance... May you be inspired. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL