The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A coin routine with no ending (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
I attened a lecture presented by Noah Scalin of Skull a day fame yesterday. He encourage us all to be creative, but he also gave away nuggets of wisdom. One was let go of perfection and another was collaborate. With that in mind I want to share an idea I've had forever but never showed because I didn't think it was finished.

https://vimeo.com/70518679

This idea was originally inspired by Ponta the Smith's Tenki Pennies routine from his DVD sick. The idea of clicking a coin that was not really there really spoke to me, but I wanted to take it a step further. I incorperated a Jay Sankey routine where he demonstrates that a coin is inside his hand by doing a click pass onto an open palm as the beginning phase but changed the presentational concept and the routine was born. I never knew what to do with the two coins after I had them though because nothing felt strong enough compared to the first part. Changing hands, vanishing, and color changing didn't seem to fit with my original theme.

So here it is for all to see. Enjoy
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I enjoyed that Jim.Very different than your
regular coin routine.toned to sound more than
sight.I like something different and fresh.
Keep it coming.
Todd
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What if you could see the coin and are unaware the audience can't see the coin? IE you offer to take one of the coins in your hand and make it change into a foreign coin. You then talk about the coin and toss it around etc - and only at the end does the audience get to see it for real. <<?>>>
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
I’m very sorry about the double topic. I will be more careful with the button next time.

@ Bowers

Thank you for your kind words. They really mean more than you know.

@ Jonathan Townsend
I had a different routine that was similar to that, but it never quite worked for me. I conceived it as a reverse one coin routine. I would show nothing around telling people it was a coin, then offer to make it vanish. I would do the vanishing motions and there would be coin in my hand, but I acted as if I had vanished a coin.
Then I tried to apply the concept to a spell bound routine. A coin was changing places with another invisible coin, but it came across too much like a regular one coin routine and it just looked like the coin was vanishing.
It might work much better here though. The routine would come across as much less of a “Hey see if you can figure out what I’m doing”, which I have recently realized the current presentation is. My only fear is how to sell the fact that I don’t know the audience can’t see the coin without confusing them in the first place. I’m sure the right script will help though.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice idea bob, keep going with it. Smile The slieghts are easy enough in the handling but it is your idea of the invisible coin and how you show that, that works so well as to the magic of it all.

I liked it, as I don't go for long-winded coin effects much, and wondered if a good addition would be to see both coins invisible but still audibly, rattling in your closed fist as you then toss them back into visibility to show in the other hand. And it would be easy to go from there back to one coin being invisible again but the other coin still audibly there though invisible.... Hmmmmm. Smile

Oh, and welcome to the Café. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-07-17 20:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
What if you could see the coin and are unaware the audience can't see the coin? IE you offer to take one of the coins in your hand and make it change into a foreign coin. You then talk about the coin and toss it around etc - and only at the end does the audience get to see it for real. <<?>>>

Great idea Jonathan
Really
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
186 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Not sure how you could do it, but this seems like a brilliant lead in to David Roth's tuning fork routine. Both involve sound as the primary illusion. Perhaps rather than revealing the invisible coin at the end by making it visible, you could pull out some more invisible coins and proceed to do the tuning fork bit with the glass...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There's a fable about the smell of the soup and the sound of the money.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I would emnd with both coins vanishing after shlowing the two coins
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
877 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Love it.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-07-19 09:26, bobandjim wrote:
I had a different routine that was similar to that, but it never quite worked for me. I conceived it as a reverse one coin routine. I would show nothing around telling people it was a coin, then offer to make it vanish. I would do the vanishing motions and there would be coin in my hand, but I acted as if I had vanished a coin.
Then I tried to apply the concept to a spell bound routine. A coin was changing places with another invisible coin, but it came across too much like a regular one coin routine and it just looked like the coin was vanishing.
It might work much better here though. The routine would come across as much less of a “Hey see if you can figure out what I’m doing”, which I have recently realized the current presentation is. My only fear is how to sell the fact that I don’t know the audience can’t see the coin without confusing them in the first place. I’m sure the right script will help though.

Very interesting idea. I have to think a little about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A coin routine with no ending (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL