The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you could buy only one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
If you could buy just one, buy something from Kainoa Harbottle. You may have to build up to it,
but at least you can have a goal in mind that looks like real magic.

Realistically, though, this might be discouraging, so follow the advice above.
But I would suggest you look at Harbottle on NYCM #1 (essential) 5 & 7 (some of the best of the series).
I think Harbottle has raised the notch very high, making coin magic look like real magic. He doesn't rely on the assumption
of most coin magi (not advanced ones), that people don't suspect a curled/bent hand to contain anything. So being able to see that you can
work up to coin miracles, not just deceptions, will really help to motivate you.
To me, to learn a vanish that looks just like the raven, with no sleeves or gimmicks is really something.
Wish you the best. Oh, one of the greatest things about coin magic is that, with this, you can do magic any time you want,
since you can always carry coins or can borrow a coin.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
My personal favorite is the Eric Jones metal set. But the Roth expert set probably covered more material. I have a lot of friends that swear by bobo. I've also studied noblezada, David stone , Michael Ammar, and New York coin seminar and they are all great as well. Hard to make a bad choice.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I really did get a kick out of the David stone coin DVD - the dub over of his voice was , well.... Kind of like a bad 1950s Godzilla movie. He is a great teacher and magician though.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-07-28 22:55, Gr8gorilla wrote:
What Gallagher said rings with the clarity of truth. I believe that we should perfect a few effects and as 1 is mastered over time slowly add oth3rs. Right now I can perform 10 routines confidently. 3 of those are coin routines. 2 are cards. I is a silk vanish. 1 cups and balls. 1 rope. I perform semi professionally busking and doing private shows. I have knowledge of hundreds of effects but only ten I can perform.

I have to agree, a few done really well is better than a lot just done. Smile

You have to go through a lot of material to get to the few things you come to love forever. I would think most magicians know of countless effects but probably only do a few. I know myself, I typically have 3 favorite coin effects I like to do, about 3 card tricks, and about 3 closeup effects, that for some reason have stuck with me more than anything else. Not necessarily because they are the best tricks ever invented but because for some reason they resonate with me, and I have come back to some comfort with them time & time again, more so than with anything else. They just feel right and I have a certain proficiency in doing them well. Smile

Anyway, as you get on in all this, you come to realize that less is more. Smile I may typically do like 3 effects, one from each genre as I move about. Glad I endeavored to become better at cards to include that. It shows you as a bit more well rounded than just coin stuff, though I like to think my coin work is the most memorable. Smile

Recently I was at a brunch and my old boss asked me to do some magic for the group. I don't carry much nowadays but always have enough to play around with, and so I did my "ReVisiTed" coin effect, then did "Twisting The Aces" and finished with Sankey's "Leaving Home," cute trick! Smile And that was it...The crowd went wild. Smile They asked for one more before leaving, and being mostly a coin guy, I favored them with "FlySki"... Just gasps as I took a bow and left. Smile No gaffs, just a little good magic effectively put. Smile

Nothing like doing close-up, people can't believe their eyes and the magic is so much more intense and amazing. Just a few nicely put effects goes a long way. And you don't want to drive people off with too much, but just enough to make them smile with lasting amazement everytime they think of what they just saw. Smile

*And much thanks to gallagher here for his kind words as to my work. WOW! Nice to be so deeply appreciated. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Riffle
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Riffle
I would definitely chose Eric Jones Metal series. I find his teaching easy to follow and he covers just about every move you're likely to need.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Quote:
On 2013-07-25 20:06, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
You can't go wrong with any of the above choices. As for the expense of the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD set, there is a great deal going on right now on the website. Whatever you choose, enjoy the ride!

Did I miss it, or are certain DVDs not available individually Michael? Either way seems like a problem with the website. The individual buys description says:

Volumes: 1,3,4,5, 8, & 9

but when you pull down the dropdown it lists

So the description is missing 2, thought is shows in the dropdown, and in both cases there is no 6 and 7. Why?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I will have to check that. Certain volumes are indeed no longer available individually. They are only available in the complete collection. I know volume two is not for sale on our website, and I believe that 6 and 7 are not available as well. I will have the web guy check this, thanks for pointing it out.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I checked the website, and only in the option to buy individual volumes internationally is volume 2 listed. It is not available for domestic orders. We will have volume 2 removed from the international order section shortly. Thanks for finding that typo. Best, Mike
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I'm saving my pennies then. *** you! Forcing me to by the entire set!! Smile That is a fair offer though for over $300 off the individual prices. If I wasn't married, I would have purchased it already, if you catch my drift Smile Perhaps after I complete one of her remodel projects...
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Now you see why I am not Married! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » If you could buy only one (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL