The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2013 entrée: Peter Turner » » Performance » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
What advice would you give in terms of the performance of mentalism? In other words, what tips do you have to make a performance of mentalism special?

Thanks in advance for you answer.

-Mark
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Hola,

Make the participants feel what they are seeing, that way it is effecting more than just their thoughts. Connect with your audience and make each one of them feel like they are the only ones in the room experiencing something that is outside of what they logically understand.

Use beautiful language, instead of saying "can you think of an object for me" then revealing it try flower it up a little.

"I would like you, in your mind alone to think of an abject or an item.... Focus on the qualities of this item, is it light or is it heavy, is it something you hold in one hand, or two, or maybe it is too big to hold at all. Think about feeling the texture of this object, is it smooth or is it rough? Focus on the smell or lack of smell and the colours of this object or item and when you have it really vividly in the forefront of your mind give me a nice loud yes".

Excuse the grammar there,

You will notice all the uses of descriptive words that is suggestive of her not just thinking about the object. It also explains to her how to focus on the object and is almost implicate of her using all of her senses to think, instead of just thinking (if that makes sense).

Also it adds to the presentation massively!

Another thing technically,

Ensuring that objects are easily accessible (like pens and pads) so your not constantly turning your back on the audience and learning to kill dead time as it can really cut the rapport you have created.

Anything else on this feel free to ask Mark Smile

Are you well?

Pete x
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
Hi Pete!
Great to see you here as a special guest of honor, congrats mate Smile

I think a very important part for touching emotions is storytelling.
What are your thoughts about storytelling? How have you practiced it?
Dos and Don'ts?

Best wishes,
Patr!ck
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Hi Pat,

Thanks!

The main thing is to find something that emotionally connects all of us, keep it simple and I have found not to directly point out a message (when telling a story) but set up a formula that the audience can find the answer to. They are more likely if they are finding the answer to connect it to their life.

I watch Soap operas...Coronation street being my favorite, the reason why is they deliver bomb shells at the perfect time and know how to space "The reveal" to create drama. They are also the best at filling dead time with filler that seems interesting.

The delivery of the punchline is important and if you are telling an emotional story before you tell the story think of something in your life that would make you really emotional and your emotions come through in that story.

I try to make the ending come full circle as well, so something that seemed nothing two moments ago now seems so important and relevant.

Read childrens books, soak up the descriptive language and instead of telling a story...

Paint a picture in your participants/ audience's mind Smile

Thanks for the question Smile

Pete x
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Thanks so much, Pete. Great advice!
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
Hi Pete!
Thanks for your advice! That's really great Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2013 entrée: Peter Turner » » Performance » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL