The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My wonderful dog has cancer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I have a 6 year old black lab/huskie mix named BlackJack. He's the smartest dog I've ever owned (passed good canine and therapy testing at 13 months).He eats homemade dog food with real meat and veggies twice a day and is in top physical condition..

One of his favorite activities is running along side my bike on our 3-mile long trip on the bike path, but over the last week he did not want to go. A few days later I noticed he was limping and holding his left front paw off the ground. The vet found a small tumor growing at the nail bed of his 3rd toe. He ended up amputating the toe. He said the tumor is cancerous and we will know if it is malignant in about 5 days.

I talked to the doctor after surgery and he said it isn't all that uncommon for this to happen but in over 50 years of raising dogs this is the first time I ever heard of it.

Has anyone here ever dealt with this?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Never, I'm happy to say (and we've had quite a few dogs, including several who have lived to ripe old ages).

I hope that all works out well for BlackJack. We have a collie (TJ, a pound puppy) who's 9 - 11 years old; he runs 4 - 5 miles with me 2 - 3 times a week, and still thinks he's a puppy. (For his age he's the bounciest dog I've ever seen, and at 80+ lbs the biggest collie I've ever seen.) We're thinking about getting a puppy: to play with TJ when we're not a home, and to take over the running duties when he slows down.

Please keep us posted on his progress.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
That's very sad. I hope it's not malignant and that he'll be OK.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
We lost a beautiful, blue merle collie at 7 years old to liver failure. (We'd moved to NJ and he was alergic to everything there. The stupid vet gave him Prednizone instead of, say, Benedryl.)

Six years old is too young to lose a dog for any reason, least of all cancer. All my best to you and BlackJack.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had a Boxer, a breed prone to cancer.

She had a toumor as big as my fist in her chest. They have treatments, and she beat it. Died later from a heart problem that the first time it presents itself is fatal. She was 5.

I wish you the best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Sorry to hear this Daryl. Good luck to Blackjack and to you and your family.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I hope everything comes out good for Blackjack. Pets are a huge part of any family.
Take care, Bob.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
I know how you feel, exactly.

I lost my bestest friend, my Golden Retriever 'Major' to stomach cancer, then lost my Dad to stomach cancer as well.

Good luck to 'BlackJack' . Hang in there Buddy !
foreva.infiniti
View Profile
Regular user
6 Posts a + a 6 Posts =
116 Posts

Profile of foreva.infiniti
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 16:03, Circusman wrote:
I lost my bestest friend, my Golden Retriever 'Major' to stomach cancer, then lost my Dad to stomach cancer as well.

How terribly tragic. Im sorry 2 hear that.
Colors are Foreva. Numbers are Infinite. 4 every number there's a color. HEY! Eternity! Lets smoke a beer and drink some loud. But wait! I heard you was a six a plus a 6 ahhhh.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hope he gets better and has a long life, Daryl.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Sorry to hear that Daryl. Our office dog, Wilber (the owner's golden retriever), died of cancer just last week. He was just 6 years old. I guess he had some sort of quick moving liver cancer. He was frisky and happy a few weeks ago, but then was lethargic for a couple days, diagnosed with the cancer, and died about 10 days after the diagnosis. It's very sad and our office is devastated by the loss. And even though he wasn't "my" dog, I nevertheless felt a close connection to him and I will miss Wilber tremendously. My sincere best wishes to you and BlackJack.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It's hard to say goodby when there's nothing you can do. Find peace.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Daryl, good luck with your beloved BlackJack. Not a vet or medical guy here, but the good news is that it was a small cancerous growth and may not be metastatic. We can always hope, and I hope it goes that way for you. It's entirely possible.

I share your anguish, fear and pain. We love our four legged buddies. We've put down our share of border collies and I'm still grieveing over one of them who's been gone for five years now.

Keep us posted. This could turn out well and that's what I'm hoping for you.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Thanks everyone for your support. The tumor was not metastatic so it won't spread. BlackJack is now cancer free and recovering better than my wife and I are. The vet says this type of tumor is very common in large breeds and black haired dogs and there is about a 30% chance it will come back. I prefer to say there is a 70% chance that it won't.

Thanks again, even though I don't know any of you personally I consider all of you my friends and the words of encouragement really helped get us through this.

:cheers:
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Great news!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
I'm really glad to hear he's ok! my little guy is 13 he's getting a little slower and he's kind of hard of hearing but even with that said he's still pretty young at heart and gets really excited when it's time for walkies. he just can't take the heat and the longer walks anymore. it's kind of cute how he lets me know he needs a break he just stops and lies down on a patch of grass. I guess the point I'm making is I don't know how much time he has left so I just try to make the most of it while he's still here. again I'm really happy for you and BlackJack and I wish you both a long and happy 6 more years together!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Glad to hear BlackJack is doing well!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My wonderful dog has cancer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL