The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My plans for a great act! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
Hello I have planned what I want to do for my first big show probably in June of next year!

Fist I will come out and do some simple card manipulation and sleight of hand. I will probably use jeff McBrides DVDs of card manipulations dn his DVD about throwing cards! I also might do some card flourishes with a gimmicked deck.

Then I will preform a stage magic trick! I want it to be pleasing to the eye and not require big props. I was thinking of the zombie ball, or the floating glass then turn the water I pored into ice just by touching it! (Expect ally if I can get the mixture to glow)

Soo, how does it sound? Ill be performing infront of a moderately large audience and will practice Infront of friends and family!

However I have a few concerns that need addressing.

1st. Their might be stage hands in the middle right stage and Mabye 2 announcers in front left stage. When doing the card manipulations is their a way I can get them not to see or to keep it quiet? They will all be people that go to my school so would it suffice just to talk to them?

2nd the audience will go abit back however its half of the first section of most big stages... Should I still do card manipulation? I plan to produce some fans for those in the cheep seats. And sadly their is no camera with a live screen.

3rd ill have to go through 2 rehearsals infront of the other acts. Can I break the code and do the trick more then once?

4th is it fine to throw cards out into the audience? Can people get hurt if I spin them to well? And how do I let them know they can just throw them away without announcing it before (because if I did it would give away the surprise)

5th which would be better in the stage audience situation? The glass or the ball? I probably can do my act for at max 2 and a half minutes.

6th as far as taking goes I don't want to cut into time so can I just be fine with the announcers intro for me or should I introduce it?

7th can I get away with wearing stuff that's abit more "hip" instead of the traditional suit cause I probably can't get the coat part

8th should I make any revisions to my plan or consider certain tricks to do?

9th is it an appropriate thing if later I did my manipulation part infront of a camera put it as a private video and posted it in the banquet? This would be so people who know the tequniques could spot any mistakes or giveaways I did!

Thanks for your help! When the time comes ill have practiced it soo much I can do it while sleeping!
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.
-The Prestige (my favorite movie)
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
First of all your time is extremely limited. The Zombie Ball alone can take up to the full 2 and a half minutes. With such a short time I suggest you keep simple and stick to one thing.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Answers: 1. If there are people in back or the sides of you, don't do manipulation. 2. No idea. 3. Yes, you can as long as you do your job like a pro without flashes. 4. My personal opinion is no. People can get hurt, you will lose a lot of cards and so on. 5. No idea. 6. No idea. 7. Yes, you can. 8. no idea. 9. Yes. I recommend you to do maybe a dancing cane, because of the angles,or any other levitations.

RJH
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
What is this venue? Is it a competition for magicians, or a high school talent competition? I would perform your opening manipulation act silent, no talking, with music to set the tone and pace. Let the emcee introduce you, step out and do your thing.

My only concern is that you are choosing hard things for your first big show, and it is a large audience. The card manipulation especially. You can practice perfect in front of a mirror or video recorder, but with extra nerves the hands work differently.

Here is a much more simple combination that could still get a great audience reaction. Open with a delight routine to music... Transition to a zombie ball with a music transition. Get in, get out, do them well.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
[quote]On 2013-08-06 01:47, Cubby199 wrote:

9th is it an appropriate thing if later I did my manipulation part infront of a camera put it as a private video and posted it in the banquet? This would be so people who know the tequniques could spot any mistakes or giveaways I did!

/quote]

What is this? Is this for some sort of IBM or SAM compatition?
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
No this is just a talent show we raise money for someone in need.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you give a group of lay people a second chance to spot any mistakes you make? Also, why would a group of lay people be familiar with techniques in magic?
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
I have to do something for auditions... And it simulates the same nervousness.

I doubt if I do it right they wll know after three goes.

Also I would send a video to you guys so you could check my tequniques.
RJH
View Profile
Elite user
Finland
477 Posts

Profile of RJH
Send the video then!

RJH
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
Ok great Lols though it won't be till march or april I'm still practicing if I did it now you would all laugh at me Lols! I'd also post it in the banquet so we could speak alittle freest! Glad to hear you guys are fine with helping me out!
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Yes Cubby we are glad to help. Send us your video. But I would not post it in the banquet, that just sounds a little weird.
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
Ok, as for card shooting, if you do it right, no one will get hurt, In the DVD Jeff explains how o do it safely, aim the card at the ceiling, so that when they lose momentum and fall down, they fall back towards the stage. Never shoot them straight at the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My plans for a great act! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL