The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cardtoon Deck Question Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dave6
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of dave6
Hi all.Ive been looking at the cardtoon card trick.Just a couple of questions is it easy to do and also I see there is a similar trick called angel deck just wondered in your opinion which is the best thanks for any advice.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Cardtoon is easy to do, and a cute little novelty, but I'd never take it out of the house. It just doesn't have the "wow" factor (it gets more of a "that's neat" reaction than a "WTF" reaction), you can really only show a couple people at a time, and it's obviously a one-purpose trick deck which makes it pretty impractical for use in strolling situations. Fun to play with, but that's about it.
IMHO, if you're new to magic, your money would be better spent on a regular deck and a decent sleight-of-hand book. But that's just my opinion.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Dave6>>>>>

T.D. has given you some excellent information and good advice!

Don't buy toys to amuse yourself!

Learn to use basic props and your own hands!

The "ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC" is an EXCELLENT book for beginners.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dave6
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of dave6
Thanks a lot for that advice.
tophatevents
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of tophatevents
And the royal road is now a free download at http://conjuringarts.org/
it remains free untill the 11th of august
AM103
View Profile
New user
Toddville, Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of AM103
I agree with the others. I preformed it for a few people after I bought it and the last person said..."Hey! I saw that exact trick on Ellen!" And I haven't done it for anyone since.
Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. - John F. Kennedy
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I agree with the others--for myself. BUT, I've never been one to jump on the "I don't do this so it's wrong for anyone to" bandwagon. If you think *you* can get a good reaction from it, there's no harm in trying. Yeah, you need to be mindful of all the considerations, but when it comes right down to it, as Garret Thomas has been trying to tell us, magic is an excuse for someone to get to know you. So if it's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with that. Do be careful, though--we magicians like to buy toys, and I've got a bottom drawer full of things that amuse me that I'll never actually perform.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Also get yourself an "Invisible Deck". You won't be sorry. Great for an out, and a lot of ideas you can come up with using one.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
dave6
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of dave6
Great advice again thanks for the advice from Robert Lewis and everyone.Funny I was looking at the invisible deck as well.Also Thanks for the royal road to card magic download.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
If I were going to get either one, it would be the 'Angel' deck. You can use it for birthdays, so it is more practical for table hopping, or if you know you will be doing a special routine for a birthday party for adults. It's not 'blue' material, but I wouldn't do it for kids. Also, Cardtoon can be made with a stencil that Dan Harlan had available for awhile, He may still offer it.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
dave6
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of dave6
Thank you again MRSharpe
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
You're welcome. The name of the routine is Cardian Angel BTW.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cardtoon Deck Question Please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL