The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Liquid metal - not the one by Morgan Strebler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Have you guys heard of liquid metal (not the one by Morgan Strebler)? I was browsing ebay the other day, and came across something called liquid metal. It says that it turns completely into liquid in room temperature, and becomes metal at a different temperature. Has anyone bought it or something similar?
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I think it is called "Mercury" Smile

LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Seriously though. Maybe an enhanced form of Nitinol? Maybe... I would research that angle. Smile

LokI
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
There's an effect out that uses this stuff Smile
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I am thinking that it would be a powerful effect. Metal MELTING in front of spectators!! To me, that is more powerful than metal bending.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You mean gallium...
I've asked to be banned
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 15:31, IAIN wrote:
You mean gallium...

Bingo! Smile

I wanted to say it, but I kept thinking alumum. Which is what they take from onions to make candy sour. lol. And I probably have that wrong Smile
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Thanks!!!
Have you guys used it to perform?
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
According to what I have read, it may take too long to be good for performing.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
From the "reliable" ole' Wiki Smile

The unique melting point of gallium allows it to melt in one's hand, and then refreeze if removed.

This metal has a strong tendency to supercool below its melting point/freezing point.

Seeding with a crystal helps to initiate freezing.

Gallium is one of the metals (with caesium, rubidium, mercury and likely francium) that are liquid at or near-normal room temperature, and can therefore be used in metal-in-glass high-temperature thermometers. It is also notable for having one of the largest liquid ranges for a metal, and (unlike mercury) for having a low vapor pressure at high temperatures.

Gallium's boiling point, 2477 K, is more than eight times higher than its melting point on the absolute scale, making it the greatest ratio between melting point and boiling point of any element.

Unlike mercury, liquid gallium metal wets glass and skin, making it mechanically more difficult to handle (even though it is substantially less toxic and requires far fewer precautions). For this reason as well as the metal contamination and freezing-expansion problems, samples of gallium metal are usually supplied in polyethylene packets within other containers.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I've used Sodium M. To light cigarettes with ice-cubes and sideshow people think I am crazy.

I guess it is all up to your risk aversion/engagement.

:)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Seems to be around the 3 minute mark...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aolRO9eteSk

not used it myself, but could be fun, even to coat a pre-worked piece of cutlery...
I've asked to be banned
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Thank you, guys~
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
It may be a good idea to use a barrier cream.
Wiki quote "Thus, when gallium is handled with bare hands, the extremely fine dispersion of liquid gallium droplets, which results from wetting skin with the metal, may appear as a gray skin stain." This is for gallium powder. But also "Gallium attacks most other metals by diffusing into their metal lattice. Gallium, for example, diffuses into the grain boundaries of Al/Zn alloys[1] or steel,[2] making them very brittle." So take off your PK ring Smile
I've just been looking at its price, and it's remarkably cheap atm (just over $1 per gram, so call it $25 per ounce)
Very interesting, I wonder if anyone's selling it in the UK, it has possibilities.
Steve
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
Just ordered 2 ounces from Amazon. Casting it should be no problem (plasticine, oil/vaseline and the fridge should work. Allowing 3% for expansion).
Expanded polystyrene should keep the gallium (key, whatever) cool enough until needed.
Looking forward to this.
Steve
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
The melting point of gallium is between 29 and 30 degrees Celsius. So if you wanted it to melt at room temperature the room would have to be over 30. Of course, you'd need to control the temp. Because if the gallium is in 30 degree heat it will obviously turn to liquid. So you would have to start at about 20 and increase it.

It does melt in the hand, but this takes quite a while. Certainly too long for performance in my experience.

There's also compounds made of this stuff mixed with other metals that are highly toxic that are sold as Gallium. Using the wrong stuff can be quite dangerous, especially if it comes in contact with the skin.

Most effects I've seen with it makes use of hot liquid to aid in the vanish. This is fine, but not ideal in my opinion. Magically what's the motivation of using hot liquid?

The advantage of using a hot liquid though is that the cup acts as a container for the Gallium once its melted. Something that's very important.

The other disadvantage is that I've seen kits for sale that come with casts for keys, spoons and rings. These are available for sale to the public and the spoon version especially is quite a common science experiment in schools these days.

As for metal bending I think the magic is that the bent item is still as solid after the bend as it was before the bend. Having it melt or seeing it melt tips the method in my opinion.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
stevemorton
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of stevemorton
These are true and fair.
I doubt gallium could be used for metal bending, I understand it's brittle, metal snapping perhaps, which is something I'm going to look at.
The problem with raising the temperature can be solved with a lamp. I can see in close-up/bar work where my hand would be "inexplicably/accidentally" beneath a hot lamp.
Anyway, I'll let you know once the sample has arrived.
Steve
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Looking forward to your review, Steve. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Liquid metal - not the one by Morgan Strebler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL