The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New finale needed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the merlin of margate
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of the merlin of margate
I wonder if anyone has any advice on a new ending for my ring and string routine, I recently came a cross a new problem as follows. I always end my R/S routine with Nick Einhorns Proflite. I love this effect and have modified the key ring to look old and battered to match my routine (the ring belonged to a Victorian escapologist) and always have the Proflite tucked into my rear trouser pocket, hanging out just right to receive the ring at the appropriate time. At a recent walk around show it was extremely hot (we are having a blazing summer here in the UK!) and I resorted to removing my jacket and wearing a waistcoat. I soon realised that Proflite was now not an option unless I wanted to wander round with a key fob hanging out of my rear trouser pocket. As I had not anticipated this I had to abandon my favourite routine as I could not think on the spot of a new high impact ending. Since then I have scratched my head to think of an alternative (non ring flight) ending and wondered what you guys are doing. Any thoughts/advice gratefully received.... by the way in the extreme heat a lot of my card effects were also scuppered, the cards stuck together and to my fingers!!! All in all it was a bit of a disaster!!!
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
If you have an inside pocket in your waistcoat, you could easily use a wallet for card to wallet and have the ring appear inside that. If it is a wallet with a sealed envelope feature, you can have it appear inside the envelope, inside the wallet.

Depending on the style of your waistcoat, have you thought of putting ProFlite inside of that and hanging off of an inside pocket? Just a thought and as I said, it depends on the style you are wearing - I too love using ProFlite!

If you have any Lippincott-style boxes that are not hard for you to carry/tote around, that is a possibility.

Another idea is a Nest of Brass Boxes. Yes it requires reset, but it is a strong effect with any object that fits inside.

I hope these suggestions are useful to you or at the very least, inspirational!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Nest of wallets
the merlin of margate
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

DR J...thanks for the tips, I may look at getting a pocket fitted to my waistcoat, but somehow taking the keys from your back trouser pocket feels more "natural". Regarding the card to wallet I use the JOL no palm wallet (simply superb IMO) and not sure I could get away with it due to thickness of ring...see below!
J Crabtree...Regarding the nest of wallets, have you used the Nick Einhorn set? If so will it take a quite thick ring?? I use a thumb ring as it is bigger and more easily signed by the spectator....

many thanks
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
On a chain around your neck.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The chain around the neck has a few nice features- takes up zero pocket space and can be VERY easy.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I think the JOL N-P wallet would be a bit tight for a larger ring, but if it is a thinner ring, such as those that women wear (without large/gaudy stones/gems) it may fit. I use the JOL Plus wallet and have gotten some medium-sized rings in that one.

As far as the pocket from which I take my ProFlite, I could never get comfortable with the back pocket or the belt/waist of the pants. I always do it from my inside jacket pocket or waistcoat pocket if that is what I am wearing, but that is just my preference. I can absolutely see where you are coming from with that.

The Nest of Wallets should be large enough for larger rings to fit inside.

The chain on your neck idea is plentiful too - there are two effects that come to my mind and that is Northbound by Sean Fields and the Regal Ring Chain by David Regal - both good in their own right if that style suits you.

If you have the John Bannon Impossibilia notes, there is a fantastic card-to-impossible location using a small breath mint tin which can easily be adapted to both cards and rings. It is described in the technique called The Terrorist Card Vanish. Incidentally, there is also a fantastic penetration in those notes called The Revolutionary Penetration, described for use with a Chinese coin but it works well with other ring-like objects too.

Just for kicks, if you do find yourself with a deck of cards on the days where it does not get too sticky, you can re-construct the card box itself to make it easy to load a ring into it as well - just a strong a finish there too.

If you are bold enough, you can even use body loading or putpocketing (yes - put, not pick) to great effect!
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
I tried this a few times, it's an idea from Charlie Frye.

Before you start your routine, give the speky a small piece of flash paper with the words "Ring Guarantee" on it.

At the end of the routine (I peform the ringleader routine), make the ring vanish (with the X) and talk about the "guarantee". Just take a lighter from your pocket and lit the paper making the ring appear.

When I started, I just gave the speky a piece of paper and at the end I wraped around is finger (like tailoring) and lit the paper with the shape of a ring. Now I just made a stamp so I can easily prepare the paper on the go. Plus with a stamp you can choose a stamp-like typography which in my opinion is more stylish than handwriting.

Fire is always eye candy! Just be careful not to burn yourself with the ring! it gets really hot! practice, practice, practice.

Just my 2 guaranies (cents from Paraguay)

p.s.: use zippo lighters, it's much more easy that way
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Nest of Wallets, Regal Ring Chain, Collateral by Diamond Jim Tyler, Ring to Wallet, and lots more marketed effects. Or you could spend some time and come up with your own ending.
the merlin of margate
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Many thanks one an all for all you advice, very helpful. I am going to try Nick Einhorns nest of wallets, he will be at a convention I am attending here in the UK later this year so I can talk to him and see if my larger type ring will fit, he's such a nice guy I am sure he will be happy to let me have a try.
cheers!
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Nest Of Wallets all the way.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-08-23 05:14, the merlin of margate wrote:
Many thanks one an all for all you advice, very helpful. I am going to try Nick Einhorns nest of wallets, he will be at a convention I am attending here in the UK later this year so I can talk to him and see if my larger type ring will fit, he's such a nice guy I am sure he will be happy to let me have a try.
cheers!

quick question, are you always using a borrowed ring? because if you're using your own ring, having it travel to an impossible location is pointless because they will just suspect a duplicate ring (unless that location was first shown to be empty).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » New finale needed! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL