The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » At last!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Hi. I had a huge thing for all things bizarre and spooky and I'm so glad to find this section on the forum. Im not a performer by the way but what I love about this style is the story telling aspect and the imagery it can create. I was just wondering what books and novels people read and how often that inspires your performances with regards to the tales you tell. Being from Lancashire Ive always loved the book the Lancashire Witches by William Harrison Ainsworth, which is free as its past copy write now on project guttenburg. The legend of the witches is still very much talked about as well. Im also a massive HP fan.

I was just wondering how many of you use stories like these to base acts around and what are your favourite books/legends of theses types?

Barrie

(by the way if you read the Lancashire witches some of the dialect is in a old strong Lancashire accent, Just read it out loud in your head and it usually makes sense. Thw wrtiing almost looks like secret code)
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
I wanted to add this link as well, Hopefully its ok for here. Background to the witches http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk/lancashire-witches/
Septimus Hexx
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Septimus Hexx
It is a very good story based on real cases and I see Pendle hill on a regular basis on my way to Lancaster where there is an excellent castle open to the public and which was a prison until quite recently.
The Lancashire Witches has a special place for me as I first met Mrs Hexx at the tender age of 16 when she played Crossed Eyed Squinting Lizzie - Elizabeth Devies and she weaved her spell on me.

The thing is that these people were sometimes portrayed as poor innocent people wrongly convicted, but there was view that while they may not have been able to do actual witchcraft they were evil and nasty people who did intimidate the local people by making them believe they were witches - perhaps the earliest bizarre magicians? Truth is sometime stranger than fiction
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Pieaddict, thanks for the link, I really enjoyed Reading it and it has got my creative juices flowing again.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I don't always base routines around specific stories, but I do draw inspiration from them indirectly. Favourite authors in this regard are the usual suspects - MR James, Le Fanu, Lovecraft, Poe, Fritz Leiber, Ambrose Bierce, etc.

When I was young I read an August Derleth collection, which got me into Lovecraft.

Also not so widely known but awesome is Robert Aickman.

A lot of inspiration comes from non-fiction reading on various topics from body language to occult history.

Sometimes it is a piece of music, photograph, picture or movie that inspires my performance pieces.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Thinking about the witches Im sure when I was a kid my mum use to say she would tell the Demdikes about me when I misbehaved!!!
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Thinking about the witches Im sure when I was a kid my mum use to say she would tell the Demdikes about me when I misbehaved!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » At last!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL