The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Effects & Specs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
There are some effect builders that go to great lengths to protect the "secret" of their effect. There are others that you can simply google. I know better then to simply refer to an effect by name on a stage, but some have it built into the presentation!

I am interested in hearing what other's opinions are on the matter.
The "18"
armymagic
View Profile
New user
Mesa AZ, USA
87 Posts

Profile of armymagic
I never use the effects name, either when performing or when at home as part if my curiosities. Each effect that I have, once it hits my greedy hands, gets an entire backstory and new reference name. This is not just to google proof them, but also to lend me the feeling of ownership as well as give them their own uniqueness.
Love me or hate me, but you'll never forget me!
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Agree on not using name off effect.

This combined with back story lends to plausibility. Adding a mental subscript strengthes the performance.
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
I've yet to hear a performer suggest that his magical automated artificial hand was originated by anyone or that the backstory was written by so and so and the advertisements claim that no secret trapdoors are responsible for the battery operated antics . Nor have I been to a play where the actors announced that they were only actors and that all the work was fiction leased by the producer, or an opera where the tenor is stabbed and sings for a half an hour. No wait, I have seen that.

Back when there were printed programs it was customary to list by name, the effects in order of their appearance. The hallowed halls of history have been repainted to cover the graffiti and we don't see programs like that now. "Disclaimers? We don't need no stinkin' disclaimers."

Shut up, DeNomolos, you're on overkill.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
I agree 100% on not needing disclaimers for the very same reasons. This was discussed at one of the East Coast Elders meetings with Ed Fowler. Those very same analogies also surfacing.
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I am not following you Ed ?

Simply put would you buy an effect where the designers makes a presentation and refers to it by name as part of the presentation (in the form of a video or slide show) and uses the same name on their website to market the effect?
The "18"
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
I never even heard about a performer saying the name of the effect in the presentation (maybe sometimes with card tricks), I think it's a rather stupid idea and see no point in doing it
Reader discretion is advised.
DarrinOC
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DarrinOC
I initially tried to outwit curious spectators using search engines by deliberately using an alternate / incorrect spelling for the Carnie Tarot. Five years later and now the Google algorithms will automatically route 'Carney / Carny Tarot' searches towards the product page. Oh well.

Darrin...
Developer, The Carnie Tarot
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
I agree on using an alternative name and back story for the effect. I do not care what the effect is called in the marketing, as long as that name is not printed on the prop/s. Most of the people I perform for aren't magicians, and aren't likely to stumble across photos online.

If I like the prop and it fits into a show or effect I'm doing, then that's all that counts. If my audience are googling my props, then I would take that as a failure as a performer.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
244 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I think you might be misunderstanding. If part of the product includes a video presentation to be used in the performance and refers to it by it's marketed name.
The "18"
Brynmore13
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
485 Posts

Profile of Brynmore13
Ah ha, yeah now that would be a different story. Probably would put me off using it. OR force me to make my own video.
All is perceived through the gate of the mind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Effects & Specs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL