The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just a ponder... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Does Patrick Jane from the mentalist distort what a real mentalist is like?
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 12:41, TripleM wrote:

What's your opinion? You are creating threads with questions and offering no opinion of your own.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
maxpax
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
120 Posts

Profile of maxpax
No.

(General forum tip: Always put the topic you are talking about in the thread title. Something like "Patrick Jane, real mentalist?" might work better than "Just a ponder...")
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
He's not really a mentalist. From what I've seen, as a character, he's a collection of scattered thoughts of what a mentalist is. The mental shell that you might pull together after seeing one or two dimensions of someone. His "abilities" are stretched significantly in effectiveness and impact as TV generally does with detectives and the like. There is a basis for what he does, but it's a slim one.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 19:18, DekEl wrote:
He's not really a mentalist. From what I've seen, as a character, he's a collection of scattered thoughts of what a mentalist is. The mental shell that you might pull together after seeing one or two dimensions of someone. His "abilities" are stretched significantly in effectiveness and impact as TV generally does with detectives and the like. There is a basis for what he does, but it's a slim one.

EX.ACTLY.

my thoughts precisely, when I first watched the mentalist it very much intrigued me..though I felt it was yet another Sherlock imitation.
but as I learned about mentalism in truth depth and engrossment, I came to find that the Tv show...was using the name in vain...it was a somewhat colossal misdirection of mentalism, yes it had certain aspects dotted around here and their but ...overall meh, however I do understand why it was manipulated in that manner from the producers POV.

thanks for your thought! Smile

goodnight
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 14:05, maxpax wrote:
No.

(General forum tip: Always put the topic you are talking about in the thread title. Something like "Patrick Jane, real mentalist?" might work better than "Just a ponder...")

notedd!!
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 13:34, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 12:41, TripleM wrote:

What's your opinion? You are creating threads with questions and offering no opinion of your own.

I very much enjoy a discussion, usually il jump in mindway...Smile
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
After watching a couple seasons the character on the doesn't really convey much in the terms of what I envision when I think of a Mentalist. With that said what a Mentalist considers a Mentalist vs. what Tv producers do is clearly two very different things.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, it would be nice to know about the person that is asking so many questions. I belive people will be more willig to assist you if they know a bit about you.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Well if you want to know about him, he seems to be the kind of person who tries to quickly accumulate 50 posts by posting lots of short posts that lack meaningful content Smile
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Kozzi
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kozzi
Quote:
On 2013-09-01 00:38, cpbartak wrote:
Well if you want to know about him, he seems to be the kind of person who tries to quickly accumulate 50 posts by posting lots of short posts that lack meaningful content Smile

Talk about cutting to the quick... You're not a mindreader are you?
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:

only 13 to go Smile
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 21:06, Mindpro wrote:
Yes, it would be nice to know about the person that is asking so many questions. I belive people will be more willig to assist you if they know a bit about you.

you say so many...this is nothing, my mind just doesn't stop thinking. trust me...im controlling myself. lol and okay so my questions are peculiar..but I just wondered if anyone felt that the mentalist distorted the actual definition of a mentalist...
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 21:01, Alwow wrote:
After watching a couple seasons the character on the doesn't really convey much in the terms of what I envision when I think of a Mentalist. With that said what a Mentalist considers a Mentalist vs. what Tv producers do is clearly two very different things.

exactly yes! nice to know I'm not the only one to think so Smile
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 21:01, Alwow wrote:

exactly yes! nice to know I'm not the only one to think so Smile
TripleM
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of TripleM
Quote:

and before you actually take my prior post personally, I kid you, I don't even keep track the number of my posts. this is not some childsplay game, I am just here to widen my knowledge on mentalism and discuss my passion with other passionate members. yes...my questions may be exceedingly simple at times but that because they are usually minor ponders that I think to share with the world. Smile

currently I am comfortable with where I am in my mentalism career, not every question has to be in-depth and detailed, right? .
so whatever, I want to ask a simple question about the mentalist. then I will .

..is that not the initial purpose of a forum?
maxpax
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
120 Posts

Profile of maxpax
I think the basis of the character was that someone read through psychological subtleties and 13 steps VEEERY fast and tried to use the methods as if they had a real life application. In some episodes it works and in some it doesn't.

From my POV Patrick Jane is just a regular guy who is pretty smart and pretty observant and a great bluffer. His secret is that people think he knows so much more than he actually does. In the first seasons he is wrong several times when calling a lie from another person but it doesn't matter. He usually figures it out through some sort of trap but acts like he knew it all along. And people believe him.
"How did you know it was the chef?"
"To much butter in the food."
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I think the series and the character do mentalism a great justice. Even though people know stuff on t.v. is fiction, it still affects their view of the world. Because of the show a lot of people round here now realise that mentalism is not an illness and really do believe that a mentalist's ability can be stretched as far as Patrick Jane's and can be applied just as readily. When someone mentions the mentalist to me I feign ignorance and say I don't really watch t.v. I have had a few comments that I remind them of that guy on the mentalist, I assume they mean Patrick Jane. So that's a nice compliment.

With regard to his abilities his memory work in the earlier seasons would be fairly easy to duplicate, so its not all exagerrated

Great show though,

Regards,

Sea
I love post its Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I think the series and the character do mentalism a great justice. Even though people know stuff on t.v. is fiction, it still affects their view of the world. Because of the show a lot of people round here now realise that mentalism is not an illness and really do believe that a mentalist's ability can be stretched as far as Patrick Jane's and can be applied just as readily. When someone mentions the mentalist to me I feign ignorance and say I don't really watch t.v. I have had a few comments that I remind them of that guy on the mentalist, I assume they mean Patrick Jane. So that's a nice compliment.

With regard to his abilities his memory work in the earlier seasons would be fairly easy to duplicate, so its not all exagerrated

Great show though,

Regards,

Sea
I love post its Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
I very much enjoy a discussion, usually il jump in mindway

If you start the thread it is impossible to jump in Midway. By waiting to share your opinion you give the impression of someone who knows nothing but waits till several opinions are shared then picks the one you want to agree with. Otherwise you come across as just trying to stir things up.

Start a topic and share your opinion then ask what others think about what you shared. Otherwise you really are wasting peoples time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Just a ponder... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL