The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What would you give a (budding) magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
A subscription to Genii. What a wealth of knowledge encapsulated in those pages each month. But don't just give them the subscription - discuss with them each issue in depth. Help them discover why a knowledge of history, a knowledge of the current performers and why they are important, and some very effective magic that will be lost to many in a few years (because it's in print). Most important of all you could instill an interest in reading about magic in all its many facets that might encourage them to read more on their own.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of MWG_T_H_O_M_A_S
Id second getting a book, wont have such an impact but my guess is that its worth it in the long run.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook and/or the Bill Tarr large books with the wonderful illustrations? If you can locate a copy of George Anderson's Magic Digest this would give the student a significant boost in the variety of good effects AND an important introduction to some meaningful Magical history as well.
(A Genii Magazine subscription may be too "advanced" to be of real value at this early stage...)
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The tricks that I was given to the first time were Ball and Vase, magic coloring book and a dime to penny matchbox. They are good introduction to magic for beginners IMO.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
trevcmagicman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of trevcmagicman
For a book I would say Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. For a DVD maybe one of the Easy to Master Card Miracles. Maybe not both of them just one but that is what I would suggest.
The magic of Trevor Crandall and Luke Vlassis. The magic men of Nipomo, California.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
One of Jerry's encyclopedias! J/K. I'd say RRTCM, it's a good book, if they like card tricks. And Bobo's modern coin magic (even though I don't have it, I want to get it. Can I be your student? haha).
The Presitidigitationist
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Don't forget to push aside the kids interest. Maybe he is into "street magic", bizarre magic,mentalism etc....

It is probably best if you head him in the right path of his main field in magic. He will totally be into that. I know I was thrilled when I discovered all the sub fields of magic.

SO I'd say talk to him about all that and get him something relevant to that. Wether its a book or whatnot.

If it was general magic.

Definetly the mark wilson course.OR even a sankey video. It has it all and he gets to meet a character magician, or a pretty good one atleast. Yes sankey is good. I think so.He contributes a ton.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The Wilson Course definitely.
Maybe a thumb tip, hank pull and Windsor Dye Box (Popcorn).
If they were wanting to learn escapology, as I did when I started at age 13, I'd give them the Abbott's 'Escapes' book, a heavy Siberian Chain and a cheap set of Peerless/S&W style handcuffs (but not the ultra-cheap Takeda copies).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
A well taught DVD or clearly written book,preferably the ones that teach basic sleights.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What would you give a (budding) magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL