The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torched and Restored by Brent Braun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joeman
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Joeman
Hey, requesting a review on this trick. One other question I would like to be answered is... it comes with the gimmick obviously but what about the torch?
Thanks
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Hi,

The manuscript refers to a lighter that resembles a mini-blow torch. This doesn't come with the manuscript, but I think Braun was selling these separately. My impression was that these were available through regular retail outlets - although it might be a bit of a scavenger hunt to get one.

The effect is in no way diminished by using a regular lighter.

Steve
London, Ontario
Joeman
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Joeman
Thanks that's just what I was loking for... I just thought that the lighter looked pretty cool and was hoping it came with it.. I will just get another off ebay... they are like a penny LOL.
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Torched and Restored is a great effect by Brent Braun. It's very simple and clean. =) You're practically clean up before you end, which makes this effect beautiful. The tearing of the card is very straight forward and the restoration is rather visual!

The only downside is that you have to make a new gaff everytime you do this effect, unless of course you make a ton of these at a time. If you don't want to do that you'd have to do a force.

However, I still think it's marvelous thinking on Brent's part and it's well worth the $15. I love this effect and it inspired me to create an effect based on this plot incorporating fire. Thanks Brent! Smile Smile
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Joeman
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Joeman
Very good review. thanks very much. I think I have made my decision in purchasing it Smile
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Hmm... unlike some other gimicks this really doesn't take you very long to make.... You could do it in less than 20 seconds with only 1 "tool". I've never had a problem making them...
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I've had this effect earmarked for quite some time now.
will be puchasing it ASP! Heard great comments on it!
MacGyver, what is the tool that you use?
Thanks,
Gerry
Thoughts Have Wings Smile
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Ok perhaps tool is the wrong word....... I just keep a roll around of the "stuff", if you have it on hand, getting the cards and the stuff together only takes a few seconds, other tricks are a lot worse as far as making gaffs go.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Brent Braun's Torched and Restored is a great trick.

The routine is perfectly motivated. There are no moves in it that do not make sense.

The handling is uncomplicated and really pretty simple. It is no knuckle buster. Once you practice it, the routine will come in to you in about a half hour.

Making the gaff is not difficult at all. I usually take a 30 to 45 minutes and do an entire "deck" at once. If you do that though, PM me for a tip that you will want to know about.

It is not a piece by piece restoration, which may or may not be a problem. I think the restoration looks great, as you go from scorched pieces to restored card instantly. There is minor clean up to be done, but I can't stress enough that the trick really is over at the point, in the spectators mind, so cleaning up is absolutely no problem. Even the clean up is motivated.

The best part is that burning the card with the lighter looks very cool, particularly in low light. I think there would be something lost by using a regular lighter. It still would be a great trick, but it would lose something.

The upside is that the butane torch lighters are, in my experience, not hard to find. I found some a local convenience store and it has worked great for $12.

If you can't tell, I love this trick and would highly recommend to anyone that they purchase it.

You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
TJ Newton
View Profile
New user
Oregon Coast
60 Posts

Profile of TJ Newton
Excellent posts guys. I already own Torched and Restored but haven't used it much. I'm going to dig it out of my trunk and put it back in the rehearsal pile.

OH... and does everyone actually torch the card much? Does anyone use flash paper? Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I always torch the heck out of the card. Depending on how you tear the "card" you can burn a pretty good portion of the card and never harm the restoration.

The more you can burn the card the better in my opinion. Spectators see the card burning and then instantly they see it restored. That really sells the trick.

Even if the restored card is a bit singed, so what. It was fused back together by flame. It would stand to reason that it might have a few scorch marks on it.

Some spectators have noticed this and it has only served to further convince them of the impossibility of the trick.

Flash paper would be guilding the lily, IMHO.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Thanks again for all the great comments, If you are having trouble finding the Torch style butane lighters you can usually find the less expensive ones in small conveneint stores in the bad parts of town as they are apperantly used for smoking illegal narcotics aka "crack".

You can find nicer more expensive butane lighters at cigars shops, they are more expensive but will last alot longer. Hope that helps,

Also there is a routine I swore I would never release but for those Café members who already own Torched & Restored. All I can say is $100 bill, its the same effect but will have the spectators on an emotional roller coaster as they watch you tear and then burn a real signed $100 dollar bill. Also when the bill is signed you can hold it up to the light to verify that it is a real bill. Allowing the audience to see all the way thru it so they know that only one bill is being used. If you own Torched & Restored feel free to use this variation. Email me if you have any questions.
Thanks again for all the support,
Brent Braun
http://www.braunmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I purchased this recently and then I thought I had purchased a hard-copy of something I had already purchased as a download. Upon receiving it, I realized it was different. After reading the booklet, I am really impressed! I think this is my new favorite torn and restored method. What I really like is the simplicity and how the reset for another performance is automatic. I also like how he had a bonus method using a glue stick instead of the torch. Every facet of the routine, very well thought out.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Torched and Restored by Brent Braun (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL