The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen Through Finger - Matthew Johnson (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2013-09-15 19:59, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-15 07:15, Lior wrote:
I learned it with the second finger.

Maybe I will sell a youtube for1.34$

:)

This was the way it was showen to me 25 years ago.
Very easy to do

Lior
For some reason, I find using my second finger easier.
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I've been experimenting using my whole arm in tandem with a paperback book and a pole. It's going well but I'm finding it hard to show the hole at the end without falling over.
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 04:25, bevbevvybev wrote:
I've been experimenting using my whole arm in tandem with a paperback book and a pole. It's going well but I'm finding it hard to show the hole at the end without falling over.

Practice, practice, practice! Once you get it down, you can use the hole to reveal a selected card.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
If you have small hands, just use your middle finger. There's probably even a joke in there somewhere.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
OK, So here is an update. My first comments were just after watching it but I did not try it. As soon as I put the card on my fingers, I said" Oh no Poker cards will not work for my hand size. There is no exposure to say that if they can not see at least half of your nail if not the full finger nail. the effect does not work. Your finger must be in sight.

As for the middle finger, this also is a challenge with a poker card.

Just so you know, you can buy Bikes in Bridge size if that helps. It is still familiar and maybe a good way to track your deck used for wasting cards. But for us with NORMAL to small finger lengths, maybe a business card work better. I guess it depends on your hand size. Those who are considering purchase should take the ard they want to use and lay it on the hand like the video and see if the works.

As for middle finger, I am playing with that and find that there is a shift in my mechanics that seem to make it harder. I would say
I need to remind some of you who have posted not to attempt to being cryptic on the Café. Already there are few posts that are giving others and idea how it works. Best to use the Penguin forums you bought it on to discuss details like that.

That being said. WHat others say is true. Many will NOT be able to do this for various reasons.

You have to realize that P3 stuff is rarely going to be for everyone or top notch at the bargain prices and thus why they are sold for $10 or cool boxed for less. They might be clever but more seem to be toys or just fun to know but may never be used. Sort of like the Steve Dushek $10 miracles from the 80s. Clever ideas with cheap materials but you have to work at it to make it more than it is.

Like Lax Hair Tie on P3. Very minimal instruction and the field tests I have been doing are a 50/50 that someone will say they sensed something he says they should not. The point is, it seems like P3 ideas are created to be sold to magicians more to make a buck rather than put any "work" into making the ideas fool proof or more mass appeal.

You know with this Johnson product, I did not even THINK of my finger length when watching nor did he address it which one might think would be discussed in a higher priced video. However , I know they must have shot much more material that hit the floor so think they could have put 30 seconds in here or there and cut back one of the live demos to fit the budget.

Maybe Matt Johnson sold the idea since he knew most will not choose or just cant do that. I have met many a pro that demos something in the lecture but shows you a lessor method or gives away stuff they used for 20 years and no longer use or can not get parts for. ect. This is all fair, I just have to remind myself, the at these prices.....
And really that is what they assume. They assume 99% of you will not ask for your money back. And most of you will also not complain and write off the $5-10

This is not to say THIS particular idea is not worth its price. Your body just might make you work harder at this one which has its pluses and minuses.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Powermagic, thanks for posting such a thoughtful review! I'm sorry you were initially disappointed!

I wanted to point out a couple things that may help:

1. You certainly don't have to use a playing card, which means finger length shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone. Shorter-fingered magicians can use a business card, or a custom-cut card stock. You're right that Matt didn't discuss finger lengths, but he did say you can use almost *any* type of paper / card for this.

2. This really is a reputation making trick that Matthew does every day, and he's been performing it for years. It does takes practice (which I'm sure the pros who learn it will appreciate!) but I don't think it's fair to suggest that Matt had ulterior motives when deciding to teach it. It's just a great trick at a low price.

3. You seem put-off by the low price. We're simply trying hard to provide a good value. On the topic of value, I wouldn't be surprised if this trick gets performed more than many of the $20-$100 tricks we sell simply because of it being impromptu. I'd put it up there with "twisting arm illusion" and all the other great impromptu body stunts.

4. If anyone who bought PTF has a physical condition that prevents them from being able to perform it, we're *more than happy* to offer a full refund. We want our customers to have a great experience.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts after a few days practice. I'd love to hear how you're getting along after a few weeks. Please email me at acar@penguinmagic.com anytime!
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I just got it. It's a very good trick and definitely worth it for only $10. It requires lots of practice. I have small and thin hands, but I don't think this will be a problem. I plan to use this a lot.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Now would be a great time to quadruple the price of pen through finger. Smile
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
How can something be sold as a 'new idea', when it is simply a rip-off of a trick that was released by a Peter Kane around 25 years ago?

Just to add, I think it was Peter's worst ever creation/release any way - I really can't imagine how this concept would fool a ten year-old, let alone an adult.

Nevertheless, the amount of money-grabbing parasites in the game these days truly beggars belief. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I recall seeing a small, upright plastic blade for sale some time ago. It was the width of a finger and was used for this exact effect: apparently shoving a blade up through your finger while it's covered by a card. This "Pen Through Finger" release has simply replaced the little blade with a pen so that the trick can be done standing.

It's nice not to use an odd prop. That being said, the method is certainly not unique and I cringe to see such things sold as $10 standalone items. If it was a new creation or very substantially different, then fine, charge what you can for it. For what appears to be a minor variation of an existing effect though, I think it belongs as one item among many in a book or set of lecture notes. Not presented as an original effect but as "revised handling tips and enhancements" to an old effect. I know I'm not alone when I say there's too much opportunism in the magic marketplace today.
SociallyAwkwardPenguin
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of SociallyAwkwardPenguin
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 14:46, Merc Man wrote:
How can something be sold as a 'new idea', when it is simply a rip-off of a trick that was released by a Peter Kane around 25 years ago?

Just to add, I think it was Peter's worst ever creation/release any way - I really can't imagine how this concept would fool a ten year-old, let alone an adult.

Nevertheless, the amount of money-grabbing parasites in the game these days truly beggars belief. Smile

It's a capitalist society. If someone wants to steal an old, bad trick, and remarket it to suckers here, they can.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
SAP, you are making some "great" post your 1st day as an official member
milesart
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
215 Posts

Profile of milesart
The most difficult thing for me was to get enough pressure to make that hole..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pen Through Finger - Matthew Johnson (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL