The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rabbit Puppet Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 10:08, Dick Oslund wrote:
Here's a 'GAG' that I adlibbed one day when I was doing it: After introducing the "little beast", (My other hand was supporting the hat)I would tell the kids that the bunny would find the card. The bunny would whisper in my ear. I put my ear down close to hear him. Then I told the kids: "He will do it, but he wants a carrot, first!" So, I would reply to the bunny: "OK! You hold the hat, and I'll get a carrot." The bunny would reach over and hold the brim of the hat! (defying gravity?)as I reached for a small prop carrot. As I "fumbled" for the carrot in my pocket, I would say: "Careful! DON'T DROP THE HAT!"

If that sort of nonsense fits your style, your most welcome!

I'm not sure that would work with the design of my Rabbit In Hat since the puppet hand enters through the bottom of the hat. Who knows how kids think sometimes though?! It could play great even with that design. Regardless, that's a very clever and funny bit of business and I thank you for sharing, Bill.

Rob
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Tommy James does a great routine with The Rabbit in the Hat in his Birthday Party Mania 2 DVD.
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store/in......uctId=27
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Found the classic looking Rabbit in Hat prop.

Magic Methods has a nice looking version for $60.00, http://magicmethodsonline.com/feature.html Scroll down the page.
wizdangar
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wizdangar
My rabbit in hat puppet routine can be found on my KidShow Konnivery DVD. It is a performance only, but there are no explanations necessary. I have been doing the routine for 40 years. Not only does it have my original gags and scripting, but it also uses gags from my friend Mark Young and from my mentor Duke Stern.
I have also used the "hang on the the hat" gag as described by Dick Oslund. I don't think I got it from Dick. I have been doing it so long that I don't know the origin. I'm sure it was from back before I met Mr. Oslund. I have also seen others use this gag. If Dick Oslund wants to claim credit as creator, I would not object, but I think other "great minds" have also "thought alike."
I never thought the original Charles' Out of My Hat routine fit my persona, and I eliminated the card trick completely. My routine uses no cards at all, and I feel it makes it more entertaining (if less magical) to younger audiences.
Dan Garrett
Dan Garrett (:}D)
S.A.M. National President 1994-1995
MIMC - Member of the Inner Magic Circle w/Gold Star
Obie's FFFF Board of Directors/Guest of Honor (w/Gene Anderson)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Dan!

I THINK that I bought the prop at an auction! (not sure) It was sometime in the early '70s.

I enjoyed presenting it, but, my handling was never as strong as I wanted it to be. (The novelty did help)

I remember ad libbing the "hold the hat" bit, but, I would never claim it as MINE. It's such an obvious gag (IMO) that it's quite possible that someone had done it before me!

Gee Dan, I really enjoyed seeing you when you lectured in New Orleans (EONS, ago!).

I haven't spent a winter down south since '08!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2014, Robin4Kids wrote:
Tommy James does a great routine with The Rabbit in the Hat in his Birthday Party Mania 2 DVD.
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store/in......uctId=27

Thanks for posting that Robin. My rabbit in the hat routine is a hilarious 7 minute routine. Some of it is my own and some of it I learned over the years from other performers. I use this for all ages including ten year old. Mine is an Abbott's Out of the Hat. The rabbit has plenty of room to move in and out of the hat. I'm sure Abbott's, without even knowing, has sold many of these after people saw my video. I'm SURE they are very grateful for all the business I give them Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
I think I've seen one from Disney. They were selling for $60 at the time. Wery well produced. No card attached to it though.
alan1954
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of alan1954
There are all kinds of videos showing the Out of My Hat routine but the best one will be the one you write for yourself. Experiment and enjoy!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Lots of great reviews about the one from One Way Ministries, which is what I own. Dave Risely also has a great video you can get from him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rabbit Puppet Trick (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL