The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opinion: split into 2 acts on a parlour presentation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leonardo Martins
View Profile
New user
Brazil
83 Posts

Profile of Leonardo Martins
I perform mentalism regularly for over a year in two restaurants in my city (Rio de Janeiro). My shows have between 45 minutes and an hour and usually occur at 21h.

Many people have asked me if it would be better to do two acts of 30 minutes with a 15 minute interval.

What do you think? Does anyone have any experience in this matter?

A brotherly hug,
Leo.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I do this in my theater shows but it for a specific reason and format, not just by a choice or preference. I will tell you that you must approach and design your show entirely different by doing a two act presentation.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Hi,

I agree with Mindpro. I do 90 minutes straight through. However, I have considered splitting it into two for tactical reasons. In my case, I took a different approach and realized it wasn't neccessary.

Truth be told, I have heard arguments for both sides. Bottom line, if it is not crucial to the format, I wouldn't do it.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Bard
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Bard
I have use an intermission but usually it's when I'm doing a very long (well over 90 minute) program. Too, I deliberately include breaks in the shows by adding other local talent spots be it a comedian, juggler, ventriloquist or even a singer/musician -- 5-10 minutes spots of this sort can work to your advantage on many levels and too, there are ways of incorporating such extra talent into your own act. I've frequently used a musical act as part of a music score revelation because it's a balanced segue on things. I've used a juggler a few times, as the source for a subliminal cue . . . not true but that's the story I give the audience when incorporating a psychological force or something similar.

45-minutes is a relatively short show set so I wouldn't worry too much about a break. What I would do however is emphasize that the second set is different and make it so.

Why?

For starters, people will either stay longer and pay for the second set or you will pre-sell tickets for the alternate program and in either case, the facility will see improved patron flow because of the variety. A simple way of doing this is allow one show to be standard mind reading with the second focused on suggestion or Hypnosis . . . this is just an example mind you, what you actually deliver should mirror you claim as it stands or reveal itself as something you've spent time studying or developing. Anyone, for example, can learn how to improve their memory using various techniques so stepping away from the "mystical" and doing a Mega Mind Act as your second set has a rational foundation that will not conflict with your claim.

I hope you get the idea I'm trying to get across with here.
Leonardo Martins
View Profile
New user
Brazil
83 Posts

Thank you so much: MindPro, Scott, Bard.

You got points I had not thought of. It was very important what you said to me.

I have been working in two restaurants that often have jazz bands on the other days of the week. As these bands usually make a stop, the owners came up with this suggestion.

Am I the only mentalist in Rio de Janeiro that performs regularly. I have no other mentalists to give impressions.

A brotherly hug,
Leo.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
My show is 90 minutes with an interval.

My shorter cabaret show is between 30 and 45. I think if you move beyond 45 minutes you ought to consider an interval. In one specific case, Christian Cgagigal's Now and At the Hour, the show is actually an hour Smile

Cheers

Todd
Leonardo Martins
View Profile
New user
Brazil
83 Posts

Thank you, Todd.

What are the benefits of creating a break in a presentation of mentalism?

I mean, it is not exactly a spectacle: it is a place that people will find other people and also see a different performance.

Cheers

Leo
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Typically it's a business move or preference. In theaters the venues like the opportunity to sell drinks and concessions. I like it to sell my merchandise. It also allows for some unique "teaser dynamics" and anticipation performance benefits, while not having peaks and valleys for 90 minutes but two shorter sets builds, progressions and climaxes. It also is a great way for shifts and content/direction changes more naturally naturally.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opinion: split into 2 acts on a parlour presentation? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL