The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pinky Does It (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
From RRTCM. Does anyone here do this old chestnut? I'm teaching RRTCM chapter by chapter and find this effect awkward to do. My right hand feels cramped when the pinky "does it". I'm not sure whether I'm suppose to use the nail, tip or third phalange of the pinky. All seem awkward and the card does NOT move easily. I appreciate your input. This trick may just be a novelty I wouldn't really use. And I'm sure the are a myriad of better techniques. But I'm curious if anyone uses and / or has had success with this.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 13:37, Atom3339 wrote:
From RRTCM. Does anyone here do this old chestnut? I'm teaching RRTCM chapter by chapter and find this effect awkward to do. My right hand feels cramped when the pinky "does it". I'm not sure whether I'm suppose to use the nail, tip or third phalange of the pinky. All seem awkward and the card does NOT move easily. I appreciate your input. This trick may just be a novelty I wouldn't really use. And I'm sure the are a myriad of better techniques. But I'm curious if anyone uses and / or has had success with this.

Hey Atom,

I still bust out this old timer every once in a while, usually as a prelude to another rising card such as Kundalini Rising. Anyhow, I use the tip of the pinky and for me, I've found that I get a better rise by placing the fingertip at or JUST below center. Tilt the deck just a bit forward, and the rise is smooth. What I've found is that the rise can't be TOO slow. I'll check, but I seem to remember another approach to this in Richard's Almanac.

That said, this old timer works. Just do it between other stronger effects, like a magical hiccup and you'll fool 'em.

I'll get back here in a couple of hours with the version I remember reading in Richard's Almanac.

Best,
Vlad
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Still gets a good reaction. It's pretty straightforward. The tip of the pinky is what I use, and if you have very dry hands or a slick deck it may help to moisten the tip of your pinky a little bit. Also the step in the deck is a nice subtlety to make it appear as if the card came from the center.
writer25
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of writer25
The problem with Pinkie Does It is that it is not angleproof. I think you are far better off with the Plunger Rising Card by Jack McMillan in Expert Card Technique. However, if you really do want to do Pinkie Does It then the best way is described in Unconventional Card Magic by Lewis Ganson under the title of Zombie Card Rise. It is essentially the same method as the Pinkie thing but with a handkerchief. The card rises under the hanky and moves about like the Zombie ball hence the title.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Thank you, guys. Your input helped me get a better grasp on this. Yeah, the angle thing kind of kills it for me to perform seriously; but looks like a nice quick throw-off when the conditions are right. And I think I can teach it accurately and correctly while traveling the Royal Road.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pinky Does It (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL