The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle pass used as an invisible move in artistic routines (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
John Cornelius had a very clever bit in his lecture where described how he passed a coin through a table into someone's hand. He held their arm by the wrist and did the MP upwards so the coin would bounce off the bottom of the table and then down into the volunteer's waiting hand. As you can imagine the audience of magicians were more impressed by the MP than by the clever application. In lecture he spent time showing how he got the coin to pop...

Making a flourish out of a secret sleight is not usually a good idea. If you can do the MP as well as John Cornelius (or more recently Shoot Ogawa) the "coin that falls up" bit can be impressive - though odds are they know you did something and can infer from there. Doing the MP that way in front of magicians is a cute gag.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Sounds like a great idea. I would live to see that. The coin that falls up I think, when performed well, can be considered as a short effect. One of the key things is not to repeat it more than 2 times ( sometime only 1 time, depending on the person you perform for ). What I usually do is a MP the first time, and a fake transfer the second time to shows that the coin went up so magically fast. Occasionally, performing a body load on their hand after that transform the whole sequence into a nice 3 step crescendo.
From my knowledge, I would say that Shoot Ogawa is the best I've seen with the MP. He's fantastically precise and creative. I 200% recommend his work to anybody interested in the subject. More recently, Lawrens Godon released some lovely ideas combining the MP with the Harada Hold. His DVD Moneypulation is really something to see.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

There's a video around of someone doing the Cornelius penetration as tossing a coin through a glass door. Magical!
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Take a look at Akira Fujii's "Coins AKIRAs" DVD for a muscle pass invisible transfer.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-04 10:57, Jacques wrote:
Take a look at Akira Fujii's "Coins AKIRAs" DVD for a muscle pass invisible transfer.

Why, specifically? Does he offer something new? Does he teach the MP well? Do the MP without tells in a way others might find inspiring?

Cramped hands tell tales. Abrupt actions attract attention.
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
I don't know if it's new, I don't use the muscle pass. It's just another source.
I didn't see it as "cramped hands" or "abrupt actions". I've seen it live (not by Akira Fujii) and it was quite deceptive. It looked good also in his demonstration in the Essential Magic Conference.
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I watched your dvd and really enjoyed it !

Congrats for the approach and the dedicated work with the various palms and clips.

Thank you for mentionning my work in your booklet accompanying an artistic dvd, full of inspiration !
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Dafedas, I watched your videos for the X time, and I really enjoy them. I will order the Kata DVD for sure.
This kind of hand choreography is very appealing. And, from my point of view, the concept of "progressive legerdemain" as a trend in coin magic and the field of manipulation is a very interesting development.
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Lawrens: thanks for the kind words. I'm still recovering from watching your "three-ality".
Jacques: Thanks your interest in my work. And thanks for mentioning Akira Fuji, who I almost forgot to mention. He inspired me as well and does a fantastic job with the MP and everything he touches.
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
N Port of magic,

Many apologies, it seems that your post and my reply mysteriously disappeared!..No idea what happened. Feel free to get in touch anytime through my website or FB.
All the best.
db
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That was very pretty
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of jamo425
It's really nice to see someone else thinking like this! I have been playing around with different applications for the muscle pass since I learned it, and there really are a lot of very useful things that you can do with it. I always felt this was a very under utilized technique. Probably because of the commitment it takes to learn it in the first place. I myself use it for handwashing, transfers, click passes, productions, vanishes, ditching. All of these things are actually made cleaner because of the MP technique. I recently bought a tripod finally so I can start filming. Once I do, I'd be happy to share some of my work on it which you might like.

In regards to the routines, I've seen your work before and it is always a joy to watch. I can see where your coming from in the whole artistic vs magical stance, but I think it's pretty clear, at least for me, to distinguish between the two. I've seen a lot of your videos, and can see when you are going for a magical effect vs the kata-esque sort of effect. Of course you show the same style either way, but I think you project your intentions well enough to tell what type of effect your going for.

Anyway, great work dafedasb. Looking forward to seeing your next project!
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Hi Jamo,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to see that you 100% get my approach.
My next project(s) have been constantly delayed for the last 2 years for various reasons but will happen one day. It will pretty much include all the material from my videos on you tube, + a few more.
I'm looking forward to seing some of your material as well. Let me know when you post it.
Good luck for everything and all the best!
db
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
120 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
This is the first time I've seen these videos (I'm new to it all), but wanted to leave a show of appreciation for how elegant/beautiful your work is. I really enjoy your progressive legerdemain work.

Wanted to highlight that beautiful RP-to-CP you do at 0:30 in your SAUVAGE video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyOiB6w5v6Q), I'd never seen that and thought it looked absolutely stunning.

Also loved that gorgeous change at 0:47 in your SPELL video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuoBeKzvJc).

Your newer work looks amazing, too, and it looks like you've settled into character a bit more. Great stuff, very inspiring.
All about borrowed coins.
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Hi Scotchrocket,

Many thanks for your kind feedback.
The change you mention in Sauvage has the merit to be pretty good in term of angles and allow the "vanished" coin to be placed in classic palm fairly quickly. Very "real world" friendly.
When I have only 1 or 2 spectators in front of me, I sometimes do a more open version by re-transfering the changed coin (last change of that vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLA_AtxFWEE )

The change in spell, which I call the "O change", is one of my favourite and is very representative of the style I'm aiming for (choreographic, everything BUT natural!..) . It gets great reactions, is good in term of angles but "feels" open, which is ideal for my work as I love open fingers prestidigitation. It can also be used as a production.

Feel free to use and change any idea you like!
All the best
db
NPortMagic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of NPortMagic
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2016, Dafedas B wrote:
N Port of magic,

Many apologies, it seems that your post and my reply mysteriously disappeared!..No idea what happened. Feel free to get in touch anytime through my website or FB.
All the best.
db

DB, thanks for taking the time to write. I think kata is a great video and in my ind pure art.
NPortMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Muscle pass used as an invisible move in artistic routines (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL