The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Darwin Ortiz Penguin LIVE: Sunday October 13th (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Arsenal
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
77 Posts

Profile of Arsenal
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3738
What will he teach?

One Shot, One Kill
A true card miracle that’s virtually self-working. Yet it will convince anyone that you’re a sleight of hand master.

Bulletproof
A disarming control of any four of a kind that sneaks up on an audience to shock and overwhelm them. Then it hits them with a great kicker.

Positively Fifth Street
The finest Texas Hold’em routine to date. It destroys Hold’em players; it destroys non-card players.

Sweating Bullets
A complete treatise on Vernon’s Aces, culminating in Darwin’s ultimate version of the trick. Along the way, you’ll learn tips and improvements you can apply to any version of the trick you perform.

The Supercharged Nine-Card Location
This includes a revolutionary concept that can be applied to ANY multiple-location routine turning it into a true miracle. (The spectator shuffles the selections into the deck)

Memorized stack innovations
Groundbreaking concepts that can benefit anyone who employs this powerful tool.

Test Your Luck
A powerful opener for any series of memorized stack effects.

Calculated Risk
A great presentation and ingenious method turn an old beginner’s trick into a baffling miracle.

And more...

No matter what your skill level, you're going to learn some world-class card magic from the expert who the experts trust and respect.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Really looking forward to this one
Jupiter47
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Jupiter47
WOW what a massive lecture! Nice work penguin
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Darwin's lecture is Sunday!

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
10 Minutes and Mr. Ortiz takes the stage!
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
This will be a good one!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
He has destroyed me. I "almost" don't want to know the real work. "Almost"....
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Of course I loved the magic, but his theory and little touches made it a great lecture. I will be re-watching this a few times.

~Steve
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
What a lecture. Almost 4 hrs. but even during the Q&A, Darwin told stories and did effects.

I felt like a layman and it was WONDERFUL!

GREAT camera work, Dan's hosting and Darwin's passion for what he does!
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I concur this was a terrific lecture. One to watch again and again, if you're into card magic.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Darwin's lecture is available for re-watch/download.

Looks like I'll be up to 4 a.m. on a Sunday/Monday again!

S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
I agree with Zombie Magic...This is worth viewing a few more times.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Did Darwin exclusively perform and explain effects from his book Lessons in Card Mastery? Or did he delve into his older material from book such as Scams and Fantasies with Cards?
baobow
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of baobow
Description of effects taught was accurate to the first post of this thread. Not entirely sure if they were all published in his latest book but those were the effects taught....
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
A great lecture from a true master . The majority of effects were for the advanced cardician but there was still enough there for me to take on board. Strongly reccommended.

Barry
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
A lot of the stuff I got from this lecture has already found its way into my routine, and I think I'm doing some of the best card magic I've ever done! Really excited to keep picking apart the good stuff.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I give this lecture 9 out of 10. Great cardmagic, sure.
A must for any cardician who likes powerful cardmagic.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
I just purchased two more Ortiz lectures, but it's not because I like the persona! When Ortiz is holding court, I sense dead-air and acrid humor. Being put in a corner by Ortiz may garner a laugh, but it's not sending people to the moon. We're talking card magic here folks...people are out there saving lives and curing cancer. If you're going to set the bar at multiple faros and mem decks, well...you're just a nub really.
I found the excessive excuses for basic moves like the push-through and excessive memory gaffs barely forgivable for someone whom purports oneself thus.
While Ortiz may expond how he was merely expounding and not "performing" per se, I found several effects to be unnecessarily complicated and evidence of unadulterated showboating, poor direction and undeveloped maturity.
I've already admitted my bias: No perfect faros and no mem deck, it just feels like cheating.
Ortiz's multiple selection was cumbersome and revelations lackluster. "Nine card location"? meh. Ellusionist has much better.
"Sweating Bullets" -why even publish it? Wagner's Super Closer is much more manageable, 1/2 the work, and just as strong. Read "economy".
I hate to admit it, but Lorayne was twice the Cardician and twice the Magician, than I've seen from Ortiz the Diva tyrant.
Let's face it, if you're not changing, you're not growing. Some Ortiz thinking harkens back to men's handkerchiefs and rabbit's from hats.
2/10 stars for this lecture.
Why oh why do I continue to buy Ortiz? Come-on now, I'm willing to suffer for my Art. A little.
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2016, donny wrote:
I've already admitted my bias: No perfect faros and no mem deck, it just feels like cheating.

Fair enough. Probably add "no difficult sleight of hand" to that list, which is a common criteria for most.

That being said, just because you can find an easier version of a trick, doesn't mean it's a better version. There will always be a compromise somewhere (e.g. you can't cleanly display something, you can't shuffle, unnecessary procedures, unmotivated actions, etc). In the end it's about the right combination of sleights (not combination of easy sleights) that will make it great for the audience. Darwin has consistently created strong effects using such combinations. That's not to say EVERYTHING he's created is gold (e.g. I didn't enjoy his take on the Smiling Mule). The point is, it shouldn't matter how difficult something is if it will get a great reaction from the audience. It is rare to find a "simple" version of a trick that doesn't sacrifice something significant. I would strongly disagree that his stuff is unnecessarily difficult.

Look up Jerry Sadowitz, who does some of the most difficult sleight of hand on TV. The audience doesn't see it, because he does it quite flawlessly, and Jerry doesn't care about the difficulty because he knows it's the efficient way to achieve what he wants.

Darwin's penguin lecture I thought was a 9/10. There was some strong effects in there. The effects you outlined as weak (i.e. The Supercharged Nine-Card Location & Sweating Bullets), I thought were great.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2016, donny wrote:
I just purchased two more Ortiz lectures, but it's not because I like the persona! When Ortiz is holding court, I sense dead-air and acrid humor. Being put in a corner by Ortiz may garner a laugh, but it's not sending people to the moon. We're talking card magic here folks...people are out there saving lives and curing cancer. If you're going to set the bar at multiple faros and mem decks, well...you're just a nub really.
I found the excessive excuses for basic moves like the push-through and excessive memory gaffs barely forgivable for someone whom purports oneself thus.
While Ortiz may expond how he was merely expounding and not "performing" per se, I found several effects to be unnecessarily complicated and evidence of unadulterated showboating, poor direction and undeveloped maturity.
Ortiz's multiple selection was cumbersome and revelations lackluster. "Nine card location"? meh. Ellusionist has much better.
"Sweating Bullets" -why even publish it? Wagner's Super Closer is much more manageable, 1/2 the work, and just as strong. Read "economy".
I hate to admit it, but Lorayne was twice the Cardician and twice the Magician, than I've seen from Ortiz the Diva tyrant.
Let's face it, if you're not changing, you're not growing. Some Ortiz thinking harkens back to men's handkerchiefs and rabbit's from hats.
2/10 stars for this lecture.
Why oh why do I continue to buy Ortiz? Come-on now, I'm willing to suffer for my Art. A little.

They have programs to assist you to beat substance abuse.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Darwin Ortiz Penguin LIVE: Sunday October 13th (16 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL